Welcome to TP-LINK Tech Support Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    A1: The slave Deco unit will not be router mode, if you didn't connect the slave deco to main deco by ethernet cable, it would be like extender, then if you connect an ethernet cable between them, the slave deco would be working with ethernet backhaul, no need to switch the mode manually;
    A2: Similar to the question 1, after you install all the 3 Deco normally, the main Deco is on router mode, the other two slave Deco are in extender or access point mode, when you switch the mode on the Deco App, it is changing the mode on the main Deco.

Hi Enson Loo

Many thanks for your help, it works fine now and I understand the difference.

Cheers

Junior Member gavvythegunner is on a distinguished road
    I have firmware version 1.2.12 (acording to about menu option) the only options in "advanced" are " ipv4 ipv6 Led.. and Notifiictaions" I need to set up AP nodes and dont seem to have the option to access the features outlined in the AP node "Howto" as outlined on this thread
    I have tried doing further firmware updates but I get a failure message, any suggestions?

A to Q2:
    yes, the third Deco would automatically turn into AP mode, no extra work needed.
    A to Q1:
    All 3 Deco would turn into AP mode together with a click of one button.

Hello,
    I have some questions.

I have configuring Deco Ap mode
    and all Deco's working on the same frequency, how to reconfigure it?
    Deco Ap mode does not have a guest network, is it upgraded?
    Deco router mode does not have IP configuration options, is it upgraded?

Thank you for your help

Junior Member jacobswa is on a distinguished road
    What are the advantages and disadvantages of using AP mode vs Router mode? I originally thought I would have to use AP because I was connecting the Deco M5 to a Fios Quantum router--but I set the Deco up in Router mode and I seem to have no problems. Part of my system is connected directly to the Fios router, where I turned off the wifi signal, and then another satellite is directly connected to the main Deco through ethernet. The two remaining Deco units are connected through wifi. No problems. Coverage is great (using 4 Decos) in a very large house. I know that I can extend my Fios system if I use AP mode, but should I? Am I missing something?

Junior Member TheCondor is on a distinguished road
    Guest network isn't avaiable in AP Mode, it's a shame because nowhere is reported that it's need to run all in router mode for have that.
    In router-mode i have a double nat, in AP Mode i have not the guest network (the main reason for me to buying this Decos...).
    Just run the dhcp-nat for the guest network in AP mode and leave the main ssid in a pure AP......... it's fixable by a firmware update........

Exclamation

Hello,I have some questions.Model : Deco M5Hardware Version : EU1.0Firmware Version : 1.1.6ISP : Hungarian Telekom docsis3 (mac autentication)Are you planning other interface to configure Deco (cli, html, ect.)?Provides RF Configuration to the Userz, AP mode does not use different channels, all M5s work on the same channel, high interference?Will AP mode be multi ssid(guest networks)?Marketing is good, implementation is wretched, I would like answers.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCondor View Post
    Guest network isn't avaiable in AP Mode, it's a shame because nowhere is reported that it's need to run all in router mode for have that.
    In router-mode i have a double nat, in AP Mode i have not the guest network (the main reason for me to buying this Decos...).
    Just run the dhcp-nat for the guest network in AP mode and leave the main ssid in a pure AP......... it's fixable by a firmware update........
    Hi All,

For me the same. Did wait to buy the DECO M5 until AP was supported, read the manual (online) before buying and its clearly says: Functions like NAT, Parental Controls and Qos are not supported in this mode.
    SO, this means to me Guest network will still works in AP mode.
    Spend lot of time to get the DECO M5(still not 100% running) but no guestnetwork available, I need AP mode and need guestnetwork. Is this supported in next firmware upgrade?
    Last edited by Adriaan_; 03-11-2018 at 08:54. Reason: Wrong quote

dumb question... At what point do I connect the Decos to the router -- before or after AP mode?

Okay, I have my decos set up and working in router mode. I want to start using another (more configurable) router. Do I:

A. Put my Decos in AP mode per the FAQ instructions, then unplug them from the modem, connect the new router to modem, and plug the Decos into a lan port on the router;

or

B. Disconnect Decos from modem, connect router to modem, plug Decos into router lan port, and then put Decos in AP mode per FAQ?

Or neither of the above?

Junior Member happyhua is on a distinguished road
    When Deco is in Access Point Mode, all three units will get their own IP from the main router, three different IP's.
    This is inconvenient, for example a voice chat can be broken when you walk through the house and siginal is switched from one unit to other.
    This will not happen when Deco is in Router mode, since only one IP is assigned to Deco from the main router.