Welcome to TP-LINK Tech Support Forum
+ Reply to Thread

TD-W8901g DNS redirect hack. Please FIX FIRMWARE!

Region : Australia

Model : TD-W8901G

Hardware Version : V3

Firmware Version : 3.0.1 Build 100603 Rel.26888

ISP :

I know this is an old modem, but a company had an obligation to fix security exploits!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by crazyazz View Post
    Region : Australia

Firmware Version : 3.0.1 Build 100603 Rel.26888

ISP :

I know this is an old modem, but a company had an obligation to fix security exploits!
    Same problem:
    Firmware Version : 3.0.1 Build 100901 Rel.23594
    ISP : Infostrada

DNS regularly change also resetting the Router.

Refers to: http://arstechnica.com/security/2014...cious-changes/

Is not a good advertising for TP-Link

Thumbs up What will you do if they do not fix it?

Quote Originally Posted by crazyazz View Post

I agree with you but what would you do if the Customer care tells you that since it is no longer in production they are not planning to release a new firmware (I called them ten minutes ago)???

I have been a huge fan of TP-Link in the past years, suggesting it to tenths of friends and customers, but with this unpredictable attitude from the technical support I am afraid I will have to review my opinion thoroughly and, I hope, you will do the same.

Hi
    That was their response?
    "since it is no longer in production they are not planning to release a new firmware "
    I'm italian too, from perugia, i have td-w8901g v3.1 and i think that tp-link should release a new firmware also out of warranty.
    I was attacked yesterday with this dns redirect ,i dunno if from a site or whatelse.
    mbagni : what models of tp-link new routers (with modem adsl2+switch+ access point wireless N) do you know don't have this vulnerability/exploit of the firmware ?
    Maybe i will buy a new router, pheraps tp-link brand, and i must choose the model. a cheap model. or from another brand.
    Should be better to avoid tp-link if they don't release a fixed firmware !!
    Last edited by meow81; 05-18-2014 at 14:20.

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by meow81 View Post
    mbagni : what models of tp-link new routers (with modem adsl2+switch+ access point wireless N) do you know don't have this vulnerability/exploit of the firmware ?
    I nave your same model, but it seems that the faulty firmware is present also in the new models.

http://cxsecurity.com/issue/WLB-2012100027

And is affecting also other brands.

Maybe the cure could be to configure, for the wifi network card in you PC/tablet having a user defined DNS server, like the google one (8.8.8.8), so if the malware resets your modem you can still navigate safe!

I have kaspersky 2014 antivirus (also kaspersky pure in another pc) and it prevents/inhibits the dns change in a pc where it is installed, also while the dns in the router is changed.
    But i don't know if the inhibition is because/from the wifi network card user defined dns change (google dns) or because/from the antivirus.
    I had switched to the google dns months ago.

Jimasek i need to know if are right these changes:
    from access management - acl

active : yes
    secure ip address: 0.0.0.0 - 0.0.0.0 (all ips)
    application : all
    interface: lan

explanation : for using a pc with an ethernet cable to the lan, a pc physically linked to router switch and it can modify router settings.

And another rule:

active :yes
    secure ip address : 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.5

explanation: because when i connect 4 devices in wireless they use those ips and those devices can modify router settings remotely.. with url 192.168.1.1 in broswer, giving password and modifying settings.

application : web
    interface : both
    Last edited by meow81; 05-19-2014 at 13:49.

they replied to my email :

Gentile Cliente,
    i prodotti end of life da pi di 3 anni non sono pi sviluppati.
    Grazie per aver contattato il Supporto Tecnico TP-LINK, che rimane naturalmente a Sua completa disposizione.

i prodotti end of life da pi di 3 anni non sono pi sviluppati. ---> the end of life products from more than 3 years are no longer developed.

new firmware available

new firmware available for TD-W8901G v3 (my model)

http://www.tp-link.it/support/downlo...01G&version=V3

Improved security mechanism.

I have a problem with my TD-W8901
    It does not automatically detects the DNS and also does not assign DNS on DHCP. I have to set it manually.
    Any solution for this?
    ---
    We help you save on almost everything! Best Coupons, Deals and Discount Codes
    www.offateverything.com

Junior Member uabdo123 is on a distinguished road
    you have explained very nicely

Junior Member patmarketing is on a distinguished road
    I have to set it manually. Because, It does not automatically detects the DNS and also does not assign DNS on DHCP.
    Trung tm đo tạo pha chế HorecaVN miễn ph 100% nguyn liệu pha chế trong suốt qu trnh học.

Hot stone body massage Jumeirah

Welcome to your next beauty destination! We believe in the beauty of personality. And we want everyone to get their ultimate beauty treat. Non-surgical lifting and firming treatment procedure, which smoothers wrinkles and fine lines, improves under eye bags and circles, firm the skin http://bodycare.artofbeautycenter.ae/