Welcome to TP-LINK Tech Support Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Angry Unacceptable slow speed since 1.1.15 20170820 update

Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP : [/COLOR]

Besides some small issues with the previous build I was quite happy with the performance. Just updated to the 20170820 build and man oh man.. what a shame.. wifi network speed is now terribly unacceptable slow. Please pull back this build and give me back what I paid for !!!!

Are your deco units working as router and repeater, or AP mode? Beside the update, did you change any setting on the deco? Have you ever reboot the deco and your router or modem? If you could, connect a pc to your main router/modem and run a speed test, then connect the deco back and test the speed again.

I'm also experiencing slower than usual speeds. It seems no matter which device or where I'm located in my home, I cannot get better than 3mbps down. Very frustrating when speeds are inconsistent between firmware releases. Seems like this should not be an issue for a product so expensive. I didn't ask to be a part of the beta test on new firmware but maybe that would be a good idea since that's what I seem to be doing. Styan

3mbps is quite slow!! How many you were getting with the previous version of firmware? It is a speedtest result on the actaul connected clients or the test result on the deco app? If AP mode and router mode of the deco system make any difference?

That was speed test results. Similar download speeds are being seen as well. My monthly report is showing 86.3 Mbps. I have a speed test result that was 201mbps on August 17th.

The system is in router mode. I haven't tried AP mode.

Modem --> RouterDeco ---> Switch(1)
    Connected to Switch (1): NAS, VoIP ATA, Switch(2)
    Connected to Switch(2): BlueRay, AppleTV 3, XBOX, HP Server, HP Server iLO, Another NAS, Switch(3)
    Connected to Switch(3): 2 PCs, Deco(2)Wireless: 2 phones, 2 tablets, 2 laptops, Apple TV 4.

All switches are unmanaged.

I have a support ticket open with TP Link, and we are working through troubleshooting steps now. I'll keep the thread updated with results.

Styan
    Last edited by Styan; 09-07-2017 at 10:11. Reason: Formatting.

Thanks for sharing, Styan. And waiting for the upfates.

I was about to reset the system, and gathering information for the support group last night, but speed tests were all coming back positively. So we've ceased investigation on the issue.

Speeds have returned to normal appx. > 190mbps down and 15mbps up. My advertised plan is 150 down and 15 up. Not really sure what happened on the weekend.

Styan

Could you kindly let me know what did you do exactly to get the speed back, did you just hard reset all DECO units?
    I just bought one and upgrade the firmware.
    My download Wi-Fi using any DECO unit is about 80mb the hired speed with my ISP is 200mb.
    If I use the Wi-fi connection from the ISP modem I can get much more than 200mb, several times above 300mb of download speed.

Thanks for any help.

Quote Originally Posted by zenaldo View Post
    Could you kindly let me know what did you do exactly to get the speed back, did you just hard reset all DECO units?
    I just bought one and upgrade the firmware.
    My download Wi-Fi using any DECO unit is about 80mb the hired speed with my ISP is 200mb.
    If I use the Wi-fi connection from the ISP modem I can get much more than 200mb, several times above 300mb of download speed.

Thanks for any help.
    How about the your speed if you connect a computer to the Deco with ethernet cable?

EXACTLY same issue here!

Speeds without Deco (ISP router/modem (wifi off) --> Switch):
    -200 mbit ISP speed
    -199 mbit wired speed cabled without DECO in between

Speeds with Deco (ISP router/modem (wifi off) --> Deco --> Switch)
    - 90 mbit wired speed (and rarely back to 199 mbit again, but redoing the speedtest directly after it will mostly be ~90 again)
    - 90 mbit wifi, we had speeds up to 180 mbit earlier build!

I donwload the 1.17 firmware on the website, but there is no explanation how to instal the bin-file.
    http://nl.tp-link.com/download/Deco-M5.html#Firmware

How about test the speed with pc connected to the modem directly without the switch, and also from Deco directly? Are you testing on the same computer with the same quality cable? What's the Ethernet link speed on the computer in different situations?

Quote Originally Posted by Enson Loo View Post
    How about test the speed with pc connected to the modem directly without the switch, and also from Deco directly? Are you testing on the same computer with the same quality cable? What's the Ethernet link speed on the computer in different situations?
    Thank you for the suggestion Enso, but i have already excluded other devices. This really clearly is a Deco issue. But I tested it just now again, just to be sure:
    - ISP modem --> Deco --> Switch --> Desktop PC, all cabled: 90 mbits (out of 200 from ISP)
    - ISP modem --> Deco --> Desktop PC, all cabled: 90 mbits (out of 200 from ISP)
    - ISP modem --> Desktop PC, all cabled: 201 mbits (out of 200 from ISP)

All was tested on the same pc, through quality cat6 cabled.
    (Before this I have done the same tests with a second desktop pc as well (different cables) with same results)
    (Also worth noting: Wifi speeds right next to main deco out-of-the-box where up-to 190 mbit, this is also now reduced to 90)

Could anyone at least tell me how to instaal the newer firmware found here Would very much like to test this!
    http://nl.tp-link.com/download/Deco-M5.html#Firmware

Not sure if it's related... I'm using Network MM on my iPhone to measure the WIFI speed while walking around the house.
    When connected to the DECO I see that I'm connect to <SSID> <xxxx> where the <xxxx> is changing each time and seems to be related to the DECO you are connected to.

What I notice is that I have a speed of about 260 Mb/s, but then the <xxxx> is suddenly changing and my speed drops to 40 Mb/s,
    So it looks like that a device is not always connected such that you get the highest speed.

As far as I know, the deco only has one SSID , is there any other wifi network in your house ?

I do not have any other WIFI network.
    On my laptop I see the SSID that I have setup in the DECO, but the Network MM app on the iPhone shows a bit more information...

So if my SSID is "DECO" and I'm connected to "DECO" then the "Network MM" app shows "DECO 7f8" and "DECO 13b3" etc when walking around.