Welcome to TP-LINK Tech Support Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What country do you live in? Not all countries allow all bands. The router likely reads your country from your service provider.Yes, the MU-MIMO will only work with devices that also support that feature, which not everyone will realize, so they put that warning there to let them know, I guess!

I am in the US and have that firmware on my C5400 V2 and it works fine (I use SmartConnect and have all three bands working, plus a guest network on the 2.4 band.

1. I'm in the US. My ISP is Comcast.
    2. Just to be a little clearer regarding MU-MIMO: I certainly understand the devices need to support it for it to work. What I was trying to say is even though this feature was not selected, the warming message stays on the page, which was not the case when I first got the router.
    3. More importantly on the 5GHz unavailable issue: at some point when I was experimenting the setup, I played with some channel selections to see if that'll improve the coverage in the house. It seems somehow the router took that "experimental" setup (i.e. certain channel were not approved for use in the US) and made a permanent mark somewhere. Then I lost the control of the "Mode" and "Channel" selection field. Regardless what I try, I can no longer activate the 5GHz network.

I believe this is a bug in the firmware.

Quote Originally Posted by Tink View Post
    What country do you live in? Not all countries allow all bands. The router likely reads your country from your service provider.Yes, the MU-MIMO will only work with devices that also support that feature, which not everyone will realize, so they put that warning there to let them know, I guess!

I am in the US and have that firmware on my C5400 V2 and it works fine (I use SmartConnect and have all three bands working, plus a guest network on the 2.4 band.

Can you downgrade the firmware version? Anyway, this is a serious issue, I think you can report to the tplink support.

Quote Originally Posted by c5400_bug View Post
    1. I'm in the US. My ISP is Comcast.
    Okay, same here (Xfinity X1 triple-play package).
    2. Just to be a little clearer regarding MU-MIMO: I certainly understand the devices need to support it for it to work. What I was trying to say is even though this feature was not selected, the warming message stays on the page, which was not the case when I first got the router.
    Ah, I didn't notice that since I keep SmartConnect on, so don't get to see the individual band settings, so I haven't seen them since I originally set them up except for when I turned it off for a second to check on it for you the other day.
    3. More importantly on the 5GHz unavailable issue: at some point when I was experimenting the setup, I played with some channel selections to see if that'll improve the coverage in the house. It seems somehow the router took that "experimental" setup (i.e. certain channel were not approved for use in the US) and made a permanent mark somewhere. Then I lost the control of the "Mode" and "Channel" selection field. Regardless what I try, I can no longer activate the 5GHz network.I believe this is a bug in the firmware.
    So, you can't change the channel now, either? Even after resetting to factory defaults? Weird! I would exchange the router for a new one and send an e-mail explaining what happened to TP-LINK so they know. And when you get your new router, use an app on your phone or tablet that helps you to find the best channel for you to use by analyzing your network and the traffic of the channels around you from nearby networks. I actually just keep mine on auto on this router, which I don't usually do, but it has been working well. I am not using an extender or anything that would require it to be on the same channel.

No you can't downgrade firmware. You can only upgrade.

Don't tplink support check this forum for issues like this? Maybe I should post it at a major online retailer (Amazon, Walmart, newegg etc) so they can pay attention to this.

Quote Originally Posted by Anton L.Z. View Post
    Can you downgrade the firmware version? Anyway, this is a serious issue, I think you can report to the tplink support.

Junior Member ism_ac5400 is on a distinguished road
    hai.. i bought mine 2 month ago twice my ac5400 reset itself. Today is the second episode. During my setup one of the band was not available for malaysia (5G-1). It is possible the router auto reset it self and the 5G-1 not allowed in Malaysia.

Thanks

Junior Member ism_ac5400 is on a distinguished road

5Ghz not available in malaysia

Name:  AC5400 problem.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  77.7 KB

If people report it to tplink support directly, they will do more things. Send email to support@tp-link.com

Already did. The support guy said it's a defective router asked me replace it.

I do not think it's a hardware problem. I believe it's a firmware issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Shield101 View Post
    If people report it to tplink support directly, they will do more things. Send email to support@tp-link.com

My C5400 started to do the exact same thing after upgrading to 170630. I called and chatted into support and they wanted me to try a beta firmware but both were unable to send me a link until a "senior tech" was available on Monday. So I get to sit here for a weekend with a broken router that is less than a month old. Pretty frustrating TP-Link....pretty frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by djf8 View Post
    My C5400 started to do the exact same thing after upgrading to 170630. I called and chatted into support and they wanted me to try a beta firmware but both were unable to send me a link until a "senior tech" was available on Monday. So I get to sit here for a weekend with a broken router that is less than a month old. Pretty frustrating TP-Link....pretty frustrating.
    I got the beta firmware "Archer C5400(US)_V2_170801_beta". It still has the same problem. No matter how many factory resets or firmware flashes I've done the problem persists today. Now waiting for a "Senior Engineer" to look at my problem and possible setup an RMA. I have to say I'm disappointed in TP-Links customer support here. I'm going on day 4 here with a $250 paper weight instead of the high end wireless router I thought I was buying.

Sorry to hear that. Do you remember what exactly caused your problem? Did you try to play with manual channel selection then you just lost your 5GHz network?

I'm surprised there hasn't been too many complaints about it yet. As said previously, I believe this is a firmware issue, but I just don't understand why it's so difficult for them to figure it out. This is a major bug!

Well, I guess I'll keep the router with stock firmware for a couple more weeks. If I still don't see a solution from tp link, I'll return it.

Quote Originally Posted by djf8 View Post
    I got the beta firmware "Archer C5400(US)_V2_170801_beta". It still has the same problem. No matter how many factory resets or firmware flashes I've done the problem persists today. Now waiting for a "Senior Engineer" to look at my problem and possible setup an RMA. I have to say I'm disappointed in TP-Links customer support here. I'm going on day 4 here with a $250 paper weight instead of the high end wireless router I thought I was buying.

Quote Originally Posted by c5400_bug View Post
    Sorry to hear that. Do you remember what exactly caused your problem? Did you try to play with manual channel selection then you just lost your 5GHz network?

I'm surprised there hasn't been too many complaints about it yet. As said previously, I believe this is a firmware issue, but I just don't understand why it's so difficult for them to figure it out. This is a major bug!

Well, I guess I'll keep the router with stock firmware for a couple more weeks. If I still don't see a solution from tp link, I'll return it.
    I updated my firmware to the latest that was available (170630) about a week before this all started. Three or four days after updating my router rebooted itself and refused to start up.....just got a continuous boot loop. Unplugged the router and let it sit for a while and tried again and it came up. I chalked that up to a random occurrence and went on like things were working again. Then on Sept 1st after getting home from work I noticed my phone wasn't connected to my home wireless. I opened up my wireless setting on my phone and didn't see my wireless network. Logged into the router and everything looked correct and showed enabled. There were also no logs that said anything about the wifi, just a bunch of LED controller logs. I did a factory reset and ever since then I've had the, "Note: The 5ghz network is unavailable due to restrictions in your region/country" message.

Customer service has been less than helpful. It's taken them 4 days to issue me an RMA number and on top of that the RMA sight doesn't recognize my serial number. The RMA site customer support agent told me I'd need to wait 1-2 additional days for their site to recognize my product so I can start the RMA process....which they have told me can take up to 2 weeks.

As you can imagine TP-Link has lost a future customer in me based on how much of a fiasco getting this thing replaced has been. They have no way of knowing but I happen to be the network administrator for a public school district. They'll not only not get a recommendation from me for projects but I'll advocate against purchasing TP-Link for anything we do going forward.

Another thing worth of mentioning is sometimes it's extremely slow to connect to the router login page. Again, I'm surprised not many complain about it. Maybe the c5400 user base is still small.

Waiting for the new firmware to come out to address these issues.