Welcome to TP-LINK Tech Support Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How to set up Ethernet Backhaul with Deco M5

Ethernet Backhaul is a feature which makes it possible to wired the Deco units together.

Thanks to this feature, every two Deco units can be wired with an Ethernet cable. And Deco will prefer to transmit data between two units through the Ethernet connection, which is more stable and faster than Wi-Fi.

Here are two typical connection structures for Ethernet Backhaul:

Name:  deco.png
Views: 0
Size:  53.9 KB

Note:

1. Please note that the main Deco unit will act as an NAT router by default.

2. Please set up the three Deco units on the same network at first through the Deco app before you wired them together.

3. Please make sure there aren't any other DHCP servers behind the main Deco. Otherwise, it will cause the second and third Deco units obtain an invalid IP address which doesn't have internet access.

4. If you have switches on the network and find Ethernet Backhaul not working, please check the management IP address of your switches. It seems that some switches adopt 192.168.0.1 (which is the same as the LAN IP address of the main Deco) as the management IP, which may cause some conflicts on the network. In this case, it's recommended to change the management IP address of switches to another subnet.
    Last edited by TP-Link Deco; 07-12-2017 at 00:52.

Dear TP,Is is strictly necessary for AP's to be in WiFi range of at least one other AP when they are connected by Ethernet as well?

Nope, once the Deco units are wired together, they will communicate with each other directly via the wired connection bypassing Wi-Fi.

You can have a check on your side.

Does it matter which port on the DECO we use to connect to the wired switch? And can we then hang another switch off the 2nd/3rd/4th deco and pass wired traffic to those devices?
    Last edited by rebirth24; 07-11-2017 at 18:56.

Ethernet backhaul is NOT working for me can you please help?
    Here is my setup:-
    Model:-> Deco 5 :-> Gigabit Switch 1:-> Gigabit Switch 2:-> second Deco 5 (Not working)
    l-> Third Deco 5 (Not working)
    If I connect my older Asus router in Access point mode in place of second deco 5 or Third Deco 5 my Asus router works in Access point mode.
    Can you please give us detailed steps regarding how I can connect.
    When I try resetting 2nd or 3rd deco it blinks blue and try to connect but gives some error error.at the end.

@rebirth24
    Yep, you can do like that. Just make sure all the data from 2nd/3rd/4th Deco units are finally forwarded and processed by the main one.

@santoshhyadav
    Have you tried to connect the second Deco directly to the LAN port of the main one? Will it work in this case? If yes, it seems an issue between Deco and the switches. Try to change the management IP address of the switches for a check.
    Need to clarify that you need to firstly set up the three units in the same network via the Deco app before you use the Ethernet Backhaul features.

Quote Originally Posted by TP-Link Deco View Post
    Nope, once the Deco units are wired together, they will communicate with each other directly via the wired connection bypassing Wi-Fi.You can have a check on your side.
    Dear TP, I did check and it most certainly looks like the Deco units need to be in wireless range even when hard wired, if a unit is out of WiFi range it goes red and is reported in app as not connected. The thing is that this behavior is not consistent nor immediately. However, there surely is something fishy with the wired backhaul.

2. Please set up the three Deco units on the same network at first through the Deco app before you wired them together.
    Hello! I do not quite follow this instruction. Do you mean that you should link them through WiFi first ("same network") and then connect them? Or do you just mean that it should be a separate switch for all Decos?

Hi, is it possible to have two of my deco devices connected with ethernet cables and the third connecting over Wifi? One of the connected ones would be the one connecting to the modem.

Nope, once the Deco units are wired together, they will communicate with each other directly via the wired connection bypassing Wi-Fi.

You can have a check on your side.
    How do I check that the backhaul is over Ethernet?

Is there a solution to this issue yet? I have 4 decos main deck as router connected to internet modem, one wirelessly connected to the main deco and the other two connected via the Ethernet port. The ones connected via Ethernet is not working... ( they are not in the wireless range of the main unit.)I tried setting them up wirelessly first then moving them but it doesn't work. P.S all are updated to the latest firmware 1.1.1 build 20170614

Quote Originally Posted by Funky123 View Post
    Dear TP, I did check and it most certainly looks like the Deco units need to be in wireless range even when hard wired, if a unit is out of WiFi range it goes red and is reported in app as not connected. The thing is that this behavior is not consistent nor immediately. However, there surely is something fishy with the wired backhaul.
    how is your network topology? if the two decos are connected directly, the Ethernet back haul should be working even the wireless is disconnected.

Quote Originally Posted by Srkerd View Post
    Is there a solution to this issue yet? I have 4 decos main deck as router connected to internet modem, one wirelessly connected to the main deco and the other two connected via the Ethernet port. The ones connected via Ethernet is not working... ( they are not in the wireless range of the main unit.)I tried setting them up wirelessly first then moving them but it doesn't work. P.S all are updated to the latest firmware 1.1.1 build 20170614
    Can you share your topology? If the two decos are wired into a switch, then the switch is wired into the router, the Ethernet back haul won't work.
    The two decos should be connected to the main deco or not the router.

I have the exact same star pattern shown in the original post. However I am done waiting and ordered a competitors mesh system...
    Quote Originally Posted by uutommi View Post
    Can you share your topology? If the two decos are wired into a switch, then the switch is wired into the router, the Ethernet back haul won't work.The two decos should be connected to the main deco or not the router.

If you haven't send the decos back. You can email TP-Link support for help.
    Launch the Deco app, tap the "" icon at the upper left corner, tap Help -> Email Us.