Welcome to TP-LINK Tech Support Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

CPE210 impossible to connect too

Model : CPE210

Hardware Version : Not Clear

Firmware Version : v1.3.3

ISP : virgin[/COLOR]

Hi all. I just bought a CPE210 from amazon and i can't get it to work in AP mode. I want to extend the wifi from my house into the garden. I've been online all day with the support people trying everything to get this thing to connect but i think it's faulty.

i have tried connecting to it with 3 tablets and 2 phones, all I get is authentication errors. None of them can connect although they can all see the CPE210 and the signal strength is good. I've even removed the password in Pharos and I still can't connect.

Should this thing work straight out of the box? I followed the little booklet to the letter and I've tried different Ethernet cables, different ports on my super hub3, nothing works. I've reset it and tried at least 5 times, still no connection. I'm desperate, any ideas what to try next?

Ok so i got a second CPE210 today and I still can't connect to it. Despite have no password set for it I still get "authentication error". I've been all over the internet trying to solve this problem and i'm totally stumped.

Can anyone help a desperate man?

How in the name of Christ am I supposed to connect to the CPE to do the initial install? I can't even connect to it.

Members R1D2 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by dougie View Post
    How in the name of Christ am I supposed to connect to the CPE to do the initial install? I can't even connect to it.
    Plug in a cable and do the initial setup. The WiFi interface of a new device will not be turned on until you change the default username/password for the administrative web UI.

1. Connect the CPE201 directly to your computer or laptop. Do not connect it to your home network for initial setup.

2. Set a fixed (static) IP on your computer in the 192.168.0.0/24 subnet. For example, set your computer to 192.168.0.10, netmask 255.255.255.0.

3. Start a web browser and go to http://192.168.0.254/. Log in using the default username admin with default password admin. You will be asked to set a new username and password. As soon as you change the default username/password of the web UI, the CPE's WiFi adapter is turned on automatically.

4. Next, set a fixed IP to the CPE210 for your home network. Alternatively you can use DHCP, but then you have to find out the dynamically assigned IP in order to be able to connect to the CPE later. So better use a static IP. For example: if your home network uses 192.168.1.0/24, use a free IP for the CPE210 such as 192.168.1.2 or whatever is still unused in your home network. Remember to save the settings after having applied them.

5. Connect the CPE and your computer/laptop back to the home network, remember to reset the IP of your computer. Now the CPE is installed in your home network and ready for doing more configuration settings.

By the way, there is a fine manual available at: http://static.tp-link.com/res/down/d...(UN)_V1_UG.pdf
    Last edited by R1D2; 07-10-2017 at 18:35.

omg thanks for the help, I've been on this all day, it's driving me mad and the help in China isn't great.

i have connected the ethernet cable from my pc to the POE adapter and I've set all the ip stuff but I still can't connect to the cpe210 in my garden. I keep getting the authentication error occurred. It's breaking my heart.

The signal is strong, 4 led's and power and lan0 are also lit.

The signal is strong, 4 led's and power and lan0 are also lit.
    Then someone did set up it already. Maybe you got a RMA'ed device from Amazon.

Press the reset button and hold it for at least 7 seconds to reset the device to factory settings. You will note that only the LAN LED will be on beside POWER if a computer is connected to it by cable. No signal strength LEDs should be on until the default username / password have been changed (at least on my device, which is HW version 1.0).

Don't change WiFi settings for the first test, just make sure the tablet/smart phone/whatever is in range of the 65 beam width of the CPE's antennas. Test immediately with factory settings before changing anything to make sure it works.

Note that although Point-to-Multipoint (i.e. CPE to several client devices such as tablets, smart phones etc.) works, the CPE was designed primarily for Point-to-Point applications over long distances to another CPE or PtMP links to a WBS (wireless base station), hence its directional antenna characteristics.

For just extending WiFi to a garden, the EAP110-Outdoor with omnidirectional antennas and a range of up to 200m would be much better suited and is much more easy to set up. See http://www.tp-link.com/us/products/d...0-Outdoor.html
    Last edited by R1D2; 07-10-2017 at 19:14.

Ok I'll try and explain what I done and maybe some obvious will pop out.I'm on my second cpe. I followed the instructions the china support gave me.I plugged my pc ethernet cable into the POE adaptor and changed the IP settings from control panel, properties IPv4. So I think that's correct, then I unplugged my pc's ethernet and plugged into into my virgin super hub 3 router. I reset the IP settings on my computer. Then I went into the Pharos management page and set it up for AP. I've tried it with and without a password but I just cannot connect to the CPE. I've tried different phones and three different tablets. I normally get "authentication error occurred". Do you think that's ok?

I've even tried rebooting the CPE after the settings bit.

I normally get "authentication error occurred". Do you think that's ok?
    No, that's not o.k., but shit can happen at various stages, therefore just test the WiFi (not Internet!) connection stand-alone with the CPE unplugged. You won't get an IP then for the tablet/smart phone, but at least you can see wether the error message still appears. If it does so with CPE's default settings, something weird is going on.

But you mention a "second CPE" and I'm not sure that I correctly understand your first post where you wrote that you want to just extend WiFi to your garden. What exactly are you trying to achieve? Do yo set up a directional link from one CPE to another CPE in your garden or do you want to use one CPE only as an access point for tablest/smart phones etc. in the garden?

Anyway, just test your tablets/smart phones first before changing anything on the WiFi menu. Default settings are fine for a test. Also make sure you are really using a free IP for the CPE not being used by any other device in your network if you connect the CPE with your router. Try connecting to the WiFi (w/o password), then start a browser and try to go to the Pharos web UI. There are further diagnostics tools which can help to track down a problem. Connecting a 2.4GHz tablet to the CPE210 must work with default settings.
    Last edited by R1D2; 07-10-2017 at 19:40.

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it.

I bought a second CPE because I thought the first one was faulty.

I want have better wifi in my garden and the CPE210 was recommended to me. I think I need to set it to AP mode to get better wifi.

My garden is only 30m but the kids and I spend a lot of time camping out so we need the wifi to watch movies etc.

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it.
    You're welcome.

My garden is only 30m but the kids and I spend a lot of time camping out so we need the wifi to watch movies etc.
    The CPE210 has an antenna beam width of 65. In order to cover an area of 30m width it would have to be mounted (roughly) 18m apart.

You should send it back to Amazon and get an EAP110-Outdoor instead, see: http://www.tp-link.com/us/products/details/cat-5693_EAP110-Outdoor.html

The EAP110-Outdoor will perfectly cover your whole garden in every direction 360 (and most certainly your neighbor's garden also ) even if mounted on the outside of your house's wall rather then in the center of the area to be covered. What's more, setup is much easier and the way to access the built-in web UI is exactly the same as for a CPE, but the EAP110-Outdoor's menu structure is not nearly as complex as the CPE's menu.
    Last edited by R1D2; 07-11-2017 at 16:41.

Plug in a cable and do the initial setup. The WiFi interface of a new device will not be turned on until you change the default username/password for the administrative web UI.

1. Connect the CPE201 directly to your computer or laptop. Do not connect it to your home network for initial setup. DONE

2. Set a fixed (static) IP on your computer in the 192.168.0.0/24 subnet. For example, set your computer to 192.168.0.10, netmask 255.255.255.0. DONE, then I pressed ok and closed it.

3. Start a web browser and go to http://192.168.0.254/. Log in using the default username admin with default password admin. You will be asked to set a new username and password. As soon as you change the default username/password of the web UI, the CPE's WiFi adapter is turned on automatically. DONE.

4. Next, set a fixed IP to the CPE210 for your home network. THIS BIT IS CONFUSING ME.

Alternatively you can use DHCP, but then you have to find out the dynamically assigned IP in order to be able to connect to the CPE later. So better use a static IP. For example: if your home network uses 192.168.1.0/24, use a free IP for the CPE210 such as 192.168.1.2 WHERE DO I TYPE THIS IN?

or whatever is still unused in your home network. Remember to save the settings after having applied them.

5. Connect the CPE and your computer/laptop back to the home network, remember to reset the IP of your computer. Now the CPE is installed in your home network and ready for doing more configuration settings.

By the way, there is a fine manual available at: http://static.tp-link.com/res/down/d...(UN)_V1_UG.

T
    hanks again.