Welcome to TP-LINK Tech Support Forum
+ Reply to Thread

HS100 Newbie - and confused

Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP : [/COLOR]

OK, Let's start from the beginning

I have TWO HS100s and a wifi network with TWO SSIDs (one is secured, one uses MAC filtering - I use the first with my HS100s and the second with my iDevices)

When I configured the HS100s they worked FLAWLESSLY and Alexa can see both of them

BUT, over a couple of days, I noticed that they kept appearing to go "offline" - only to reappear again 10-20 minutes later - without ANY intervention on my part

I wondered if their IP addresses were "timing out" so I changed my DHCP server to assign STATIC IP addresses to them

That may have helped (it's early days yet) BUT, even though I know their IP addresses (and they show up in a network scan on my iPad) I can't ping them reliably either. Sometimes they are there, but more often I get "Destination Host Unreachable" which makes no sense

ANY advice would be appreciated.

One question that bothers me (and I am sure the answer must be no) - "Now I have configured them with static IP addresses, do I need to go through setup/registration again??)

Thanks all

These are SO smart when they work, it's really frustrating when they don't

Phil G

Angry

I have now reflashed to the latest firmware (as suggested by TP-Link support)

Things seems better, but the switches are still appearing to be disconnected at random times, and then they connect again - on their own

Also, pinging their IP addresses is VERY hit & miss (more often I get "destination host is unreachable" as opposed to a reply or a time out)

This is SO frustrating

Quote Originally Posted by philguk View Post
    I have now reflashed to the latest firmware (as suggested by TP-Link support)
    Things seems better, but the switches are still appearing to be disconnected at random times, and then they connect again - on their own
    Also, pinging their IP addresses is VERY hit & miss (more often I get "destination host is unreachable" as opposed to a reply or a time out)
    This is SO frustrating
    have you told TP-Link support about this? they should reply if you update to them.

"destination host is unreachable" is often a problem with your network vs a timeout which can be either. You can confirm by restarting your router and any extenders and trying again.

My issue has been escalated by TP-Link - so I am waiting to hear from the next level

My network is somewhat extensive compared with a typical home LAN I suspect, but these are the ONLY devices I am having challenges with. Everything else works just fine

I did wonder if my router/firewall maybe somehow at fault, but the fact that I cannot ping the HS100s from inside my network is highly suspicious. They DO respond to ping for about 10 minutes after powering up, but then they seem to sulk - never responding to ping again, and intermittently appearing ON line then OFF line

what is the signal strengthen on the plug? move the plug close to router?

They are currently pretty close to the router, but eventually will have to be further away (they need to be close to the appliance I want to use them with!)

Currently they report -42dB - is this good or bad? (is a lower or a higher number better??)

Smaller is better. This is a good number.