Welcome to TP-LINK Tech Support Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21
  1. #1

    HS100 Newbie - and confused

    Model :

    Hardware Version :

    Firmware Version :

    ISP : [/COLOR]

    OK, Let's start from the beginning

    I have TWO HS100s and a wifi network with TWO SSIDs (one is secured, one uses MAC filtering - I use the first with my HS100s and the second with my iDevices)

    When I configured the HS100s they worked FLAWLESSLY and Alexa can see both of them

    BUT, over a couple of days, I noticed that they kept appearing to go "offline" - only to reappear again 10-20 minutes later - without ANY intervention on my part

    I wondered if their IP addresses were "timing out" so I changed my DHCP server to assign STATIC IP addresses to them

    That may have helped (it's early days yet) BUT, even though I know their IP addresses (and they show up in a network scan on my iPad) I can't ping them reliably either. Sometimes they are there, but more often I get "Destination Host Unreachable" which makes no sense

    ANY advice would be appreciated.

    One question that bothers me (and I am sure the answer must be no) - "Now I have configured them with static IP addresses, do I need to go through setup/registration again??)

    Thanks all

    These are SO smart when they work, it's really frustrating when they don't

    Phil G

  2. #2

    Angry

    I have now reflashed to the latest firmware (as suggested by TP-Link support)

    Things seems better, but the switches are still appearing to be disconnected at random times, and then they connect again - on their own

    Also, pinging their IP addresses is VERY hit & miss (more often I get "destination host is unreachable" as opposed to a reply or a time out)

    This is SO frustrating

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by philguk View Post
    I have now reflashed to the latest firmware (as suggested by TP-Link support)
    Things seems better, but the switches are still appearing to be disconnected at random times, and then they connect again - on their own
    Also, pinging their IP addresses is VERY hit & miss (more often I get "destination host is unreachable" as opposed to a reply or a time out)
    This is SO frustrating
    have you told TP-Link support about this? they should reply if you update to them.

  4. #4
    "destination host is unreachable" is often a problem with your network vs a timeout which can be either. You can confirm by restarting your router and any extenders and trying again.

  5. #5
    My issue has been escalated by TP-Link - so I am waiting to hear from the next level

    My network is somewhat extensive compared with a typical home LAN I suspect, but these are the ONLY devices I am having challenges with. Everything else works just fine

    I did wonder if my router/firewall maybe somehow at fault, but the fact that I cannot ping the HS100s from inside my network is highly suspicious. They DO respond to ping for about 10 minutes after powering up, but then they seem to sulk - never responding to ping again, and intermittently appearing ON line then OFF line

  6. #6
    what is the signal strengthen on the plug? move the plug close to router?

  7. #7
    They are currently pretty close to the router, but eventually will have to be further away (they need to be close to the appliance I want to use them with!)

    Currently they report -42dB - is this good or bad? (is a lower or a higher number better??)

  8. #8
    Smaller is better. This is a good number.

  9. #9
    TP-Link support no longer seem to want to talk to me - and this problem is NOT resolved

    Unhappy customer now an Angry customer

  10. #10
    And to think i Just purchased two of them as well. Why do thje companbies have such poor support. I had an ARCHER Router /Modem that neeeded support. Ticket not even replied so I sent it back for a refund. Bought a Bullion, support on there has been fantastic.
    I thought I would trust a Chinese company again with going back to TPLink ..I think I fooled myself.

    I am having a problem now I cannot get my mobile to talk to them via KASA?

    I hope you get a reply...but!

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by EssexUK View Post
    And to think i Just purchased two of them as well. Why do thje companbies have such poor support. I had an ARCHER Router /Modem that neeeded support. Ticket not even replied so I sent it back for a refund. Bought a Bullion, support on there has been fantastic.
    I thought I would trust a Chinese company again with going back to TPLink ..I think I fooled myself.

    I am having a problem now I cannot get my mobile to talk to them via KASA?

    I hope you get a reply...but!
    Do you get the solid green light on your smart plug? Is your mobile connected to the same home network? Or you want to control them remotely?

  12. #12
    Am I correct in guessing you're connecting to the TP Links with custom software? You'll probably need to talk to the developer of that software as the network protocol the TP Link team used doesn't work very well in complex networks. Getting mine to work with them was a bit tricky.

    BTW, probably not relevant to this issue, but you may be adding complexity by using MAC filtering without adding any real security. A hacker that can't spoof a MAC probably couldn't get past WPA2 either.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeP_AutomationManager View Post
    Am I correct in guessing you're connecting to the TP Links with custom software? You'll probably need to talk to the developer of that software as the network protocol the TP Link team used doesn't work very well in complex networks. Getting mine to work with them was a bit tricky.

    BTW, probably not relevant to this issue, but you may be adding complexity by using MAC filtering without adding any real security. A hacker that can't spoof a MAC probably couldn't get past WPA2 either.
    KASA app is the recommended app TP LINK advise to use. Examples of the app's use is in the received and also on their website. |Have not tried any other software app's.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Shield101 View Post
    Do you get the solid green light on your smart plug? Is your mobile connected to the same home network? Or you want to control them remotely?
    I now have them connected via the mobile, but cannot get alexa.amazon.co.uk to dscover the phones. I uninstalled the app twice and used REVo uninstaller to get rid of leftovers. After doling the uninstall twice. I managed to get KASA to discover the TP Link plugs. THe configutration is now okay they work as expected via KASA.

    The problem now is that Advertised 'works with Alexa' is not happening at at all.
    I have other divices by a diffewrent manufacfuter working within ALEXA but i cannot get the web page to discover the TP link devices at all. Which is the main reason i purchased them. I wanted remote use via Amazons Alexa.

    THey are all on the same network, i do have option to switch to another line with a different ISP as I have two lines into my property. But that did not work either. On both networks i caqn get my other devices to work via Alexa biut not the TP link plugs.

    On alexa web page via 'skills' i get the other devices listed. But when I click on Devices, then click 'discover' just sits ther going through the 20second process. Nothing is reported. The main problem according to Help file and TP link is that I have to click the 'allow remote control' in KASA first. But i don ot have the link in version of KASA by TPlink. my ver - 1.8.3 ! build 674.

    So without that link being activated i am not allowed to get Amazon Echo to talk to KASA.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by EssexUK View Post
    KASA app is the recommended app TP LINK advise to use. Examples of the app's use is in the received and also on their website. |Have not tried any other software app's.
    Sorry, I should have said - I was asking Phil. It sounded like he's monitoring the device status and I asked 'cause keeping the app open or constantly opening it is a bit of a pain.


 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Copyright 1996-2017 TP-LINK Technologies Co., Ltd. All rights reserved.