Welcome to TP-LINK Tech Support Forum
+ Reply to Thread

Archer Running As AP still Making DHCP Requests

Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP : [/COLOR]

Greetings!

I have an Archer c7 AC 1750. It is set up to function as an AP. DHCP is disabled, and I have one of the LAN ports connected to the router/modem provided by my ISP. The ISP modem is handling all DHCP for the network and is the gateway to the internet.

Despite having configured my TP-Link to be an AP in accordance with the manufacturer's documentation, I am seeing DHCP activity in the log:

4th day 15:53:51 DHCP INFO DHCPC Send DISCOVER with request ip 0 and unicast flag 0
    4th day 15:53:53 DHCP INFO DHCPC Send DISCOVER with request ip 0 and unicast flag 0
    4th day 15:53:55 DHCP INFO DHCPC Send DISCOVER with request ip 0 and unicast flag 0
    4th day 15:53:59 DHCP INFO DHCPC Send DISCOVER with request ip 0 and unicast flag 1
    4th day 15:54:01 DHCP INFO DHCPC Send DISCOVER with request ip 0 and unicast flag 1
    4th day 15:54:03 DHCP INFO DHCPC DHCP Service unavailable, recv no OFFER
    4th day 17:06:43 DHCP INFO DHCPC Send DISCOVER with request ip 0 and unicast flag 0
    etc, etc, ad infinitum...

Everything seems to be working as intended: devices can connect to the AP and have a solid connection out to the internet, and are getting IP addresses from the DHCP scope set in the primary router/modem. So why am I seeing DHCP logs? Although my network seems stable, I'm worried that this is, at the very least, creating unnecessary traffic on my network, and could lead to greater problems down the road. Should I be worried?

You ask if you should be worried: No i don't think you should be worried, because sometimes even if the DHCP is disabled it tries to connect.

Have you tried the latest firmware-beta and see if this still is going on ?

The firmware version I'm currently running is: 3.14.3 Build 150427 Rel.36706n

Unfortunately, I can't flash firmware during business hours without upsetting some users, so updating to a new version will have to wait.

Thanks for your reply.