Welcome to TP-LINK Tech Support Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Members R1D2 is on a distinguished road
    Ignore the warnings about initialization failure of log4j, it will be loaded again later on. See file server.log, it should read like this:

Code:
    2017-08-13 17:25:03 [main] [INFO]-[ConfigurationFactory.java:39] - success to load configuration : eap.properties
    2017-08-13 17:25:03 [main] [INFO]-[ConfigurationFactory.java:39] - success to load configuration : mongodb.properties
    2017-08-13 17:25:03 [main] [INFO]-[ConfigurationFactory.java:39] - success to load configuration : jetty.properties
    2017-08-13 17:25:03 [main] [INFO]-[ConfigurationFactory.java:39] - success to load configuration : device.properties
    2017-08-13 17:25:03 [main] [INFO]-[ConfigurationFactory.java:39] - success to load configuration : log4j.properties
    2017-08-13 17:25:03 [main] [INFO]-[ConfigurationFactory.java:39] - success to load configuration : netty.properties
    2017-08-13 17:25:03 [main] [INFO]-[ConfigurationFactory.java:39] - success to load configuration : user.params.properties
    2017-08-13 17:25:08 [main] [INFO]-[ContextHandler.java:2040] - Initializing Spring root WebApplicationContext
    2017-08-13 17:25:36 [main] [INFO]-[MonitorInit.java:39] - monitor context initialing...
    2017-08-13 17:25:36 [main] [INFO]-[ContextHandler.java:2040] - Initializing Spring FrameworkServlet 'springMVC'
    2017-08-13 17:25:38 [main] [INFO]-[DbCompatibleServcie.java:96] - no need to compatible db.
    If it does not, post all logfiles here, not just startup.log. The server.log is much more meaningful than startup.log.

Hi,
    the reason I did not post the other logs was that there is nothing spectacular in them.

---- start server.log ----
    2017-08-11 11:59:10 [main] [INFO]-[ConfigurationFactory.java:39] - success to load configuration : eap.properties
    2017-08-11 11:59:10 [main] [INFO]-[ConfigurationFactory.java:39] - success to load configuration : mongodb.properties
    2017-08-11 11:59:10 [main] [INFO]-[ConfigurationFactory.java:39] - success to load configuration : jetty.properties
    2017-08-11 11:59:10 [main] [INFO]-[ConfigurationFactory.java:39] - success to load configuration : netty.properties
    2017-08-11 11:59:10 [main] [INFO]-[ConfigurationFactory.java:39] - success to load configuration : user.params.properties
    2017-08-11 11:59:10 [main] [INFO]-[ConfigurationFactory.java:39] - success to load configuration : log4j.properties
    2017-08-11 11:59:10 [main] [INFO]-[ConfigurationFactory.java:39] - success to load configuration : device.properties
    ---- end server.log ----

---- start mongod.log ----
    ***** SERVER RESTARTED *****

Fri Aug 11 11:59:10 [initandlisten] MongoDB starting : pid=10777 port=27017 dbpath=/opt/tplink/EAPController/data/db 64-bit host=eap-controller
    Fri Aug 11 11:59:10 [initandlisten] db version v2.2.2, pdfile version 4.5
    Fri Aug 11 11:59:10 [initandlisten] git version: d1b43b61a5308c4ad0679d34b262c5af9d664267
    Fri Aug 11 11:59:10 [initandlisten] build info: Linux ip-10-2-29-40 2.6.21.7-2.ec2.v1.2.fc8xen #1 SMP Fri Nov 20 17:48:28 EST 2009 x86_64 BOOST_LIB_VERSION=1_49
    Fri Aug 11 11:59:10 [initandlisten] options: { bind_ip: "127.0.0.1", dbpath: "/opt/tplink/EAPController/data/db", logappend: true, logpath: "/opt/tplink/EAPController/logs/mongod.log", nohttpinterface: tr
    Fri Aug 11 11:59:10 [initandlisten] journal dir=/opt/tplink/EAPController/data/db/journal
    Fri Aug 11 11:59:10 [initandlisten] recover begin
    Fri Aug 11 11:59:10 [initandlisten] info no lsn file in journal/ directory
    Fri Aug 11 11:59:10 [initandlisten] recover lsn: 0
    Fri Aug 11 11:59:10 [initandlisten] recover /opt/tplink/EAPController/data/db/journal/j._0
    Fri Aug 11 11:59:10 [initandlisten] recover cleaning up
    Fri Aug 11 11:59:10 [initandlisten] removeJournalFiles
    Fri Aug 11 11:59:10 [initandlisten] recover done
    Fri Aug 11 11:59:10 [initandlisten] preallocating a journal file /opt/tplink/EAPController/data/db/journal/prealloc.0
    Fri Aug 11 11:59:13 [initandlisten] waiting for connections on port 27017
    [21~
    ---- end mongod.log ----

There's no sign of an error anywhere, besides the application is not starting up.

Regards
    Peter

----
    Edit:
    This is on a fresh Debian 9.1 x64 VM - just standard system utilities and SSH, nothing else.

---
    Edit 2:
    When starting I get the following output on the shell:

--- start stdout ---
    root@eap-controller:/opt/tplink/EAPController# tpeap start
    Starting EAP Controller .................................................. .................................../usr/bin/tpeap: line 79: 2580 Killed nohup $JAVA_TOOL -server -Xms128m -Xmx1024m -XX:MaxHeapFreeRatio=60 -XX:MinHeapFreeRatio=30 -XX:+UseSerialGC -XX:+HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError -Deap.home="${eapHome}" -cp ${eapHome}"/lib/com.tp-link.eap.start-0.0.1-SNAPSHOT.jar:"${eapHome}"/lib/*:"${eapHome}"/external-lib/*" com.tp_link.eap.start.EapMain start > ${eapHome}/logs/startup.log 2>&1
    Start failed.
    --- end stdout ---

Edit 3:
    As I had some spare time to play with the controller software, I've setup a VM with Debian Jessie (8.3.x) and tested if I could get it running there.
    The results were exactly the same as with my other tests.
    I was following the instructions to the point (well, un-tar-ing an archive isn't too complicated ...) on 3 different OSes and still no luck.
    This leads me to the assumption that the currently downloadable package must be broken (http://static.tp-link.com/EAP_Contro...nux_x64.tar.gz) or I'm doing something fundamentally wrong (whatever this could be).
    Last edited by PeterL.; 08-14-2017 at 10:01.

Quote Originally Posted by tplink_smb View Post
    Dear all members, glad to tell you that the Linux version controller has been developed and is during the uploading process, it will be online within several days.
    The software will support Ubuntu:16.04/17.04; CentOS: 7.2/7.3; Fedora: 24/25, please keep an eye on our official website.
    Will there also be a support to run the controller on a synology nas ?
    at home I have a DS216play ( yes I know 32bit processor. )
    and I have 2 soon to be upgraded to 3 225 access points around the house.

Now since my synolgy has everything on board like radius etc, its up 24/7 and only uses 15W of power, it would be awesome if I could just have a package that I can install on the synology that would allow me to install the controller and let the synology do the work instead of my laptop or home computer.

reminds me, how come you either have a 32 bit windows controller supporting XP/vista and up.
    but the linux controller is 64 bit only ?

Quote Originally Posted by PeterL. View Post
    There's no sign of an error anywhere, besides the application is not starting up.
    The app starts up indeed. But: this *()#$%^&-systemd kills the job as soon as su terminates.

See https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugr...cgi?bug=825394 for details.

That's is the important message from the log, which you didn't include in your first post:

Code:
    /usr/bin/tpeap: line 79: 2580 Killed nohup $JAVA_TOOL ...
    This is just another catastrophic bug of systemd, which replaced the 40 years old, stable and robust initializer init, just because some people think it would be a good idea to replace the system's initializer by a monolithic monster program handling everything in order to make things better than init does, even at the risk of breaking lots of other software packages.

Find attached a version of tpeap which does not use nohup and su. This should work with your version of systemd. If I have some spare time, I probably will integrate the start/stop script in systemd, but changes are that I will drop systemd completely, since it causes lot of other troubles on our servers, too.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by R1D2; 08-14-2017 at 12:35.

Hi,

thanks for your efforts.
    Believe it or not, but it's still not working.

I already tried the init script you posted earlier in this thread as the included one looks ... unfinished (e.g unused OS detection variables).
    The version attached to your last post (-su -nohup) also shows the same results.

I don't think that this has something todo with the java process backgrounding, as I get the same results when running the jar manually from the shell.
    I'm currently switching back to sysv-init, to eliminate systemd from the list.

Regards
    Peter

---
    Edit 1:
    With sysv-init it's still the same .
    There is not change to the lines being logged to file.

When starting with the init script, the output also doesn't change (this your adapted init script):
    --- start stdout ---
    root@eap-controller:~# tpeap start
    Starting EAP Controller .........../usr/bin/tpeap: line 41: 2425 Killed $JAVA_TOOL -server $JAVA_OPTS $JAVA_PATH -Deap.home="$EAPC_HOME" com.tp_link.eap.start.EapMain start > $EAPC_LOG/startup.log 2>&1
    .................................................. .................................................. ...........
    Start failed - see '/opt/tplink/EAPController/logs/startup.log' for errors.
    --- end stdout ---
    Last edited by PeterL.; 08-14-2017 at 12:58.

Believe it or not, but it's still not working.
    I have no reason to not believe you.

Did the "kill" message disappear now? And did you test the original script control.sh, too?

Not sure wether you can go back to SysV init on Debian 9. According to Debian's last announcements they planned Debian 8 to be the last version which allows SysV init. There is already a fork of Debian called Devuan, which will support the SysV init in future versions, too - there is more work to do than just to replace systemd by init, thanks to the non-modular, Windows-like concept of having systemd take over every OS functionality it can.

It would not make me wonder if systemd will soon be able to brew coffee, too, but then will require to patch your coffee machine in order to heat up the water.

No, the "kill" message did not disappear - no matter if I use the original init script or your version (see Edit1 of my previous post).

The packages "sysvinit-core" and "sysvinit-utils" are still there and can be installed - as I removed systemd completely and the machine still booted I think it's save to assume that they postponed the removal of sysv init.

Regards
    Peter

-----

Edit1:

For reference - when running the jar directly from the shell (without all the options):

----start stdout -------
    root@eap-controller:~# java -Deap.home="/opt/tplink/EAPController/" -cp /opt/tplink/EAPController/lib/com.tp-link.eap.start-0.0.1-SNAPSHOT.jar:/opt/tplink/EAPController/lib/*:/opt/tplink/EAPController/external-lib/* com.tp_link.eap.start.EapMain start
    log4j:WARN No appenders could be found for logger (com.tp_link.eap.util.system.SystemUtil).
    log4j:WARN Please initialize the log4j system properly.
    ========EAP_LINUX_MONGOD_KEY======
    mongodPath = "/opt/tplink/EAPController/bin/mongod" --port 27017 --dbpath "/opt/tplink/EAPController/data/db" -pidfilepath "/opt/tplink/EAPController/data/mongo.pid" --logappend --logpath "/opt/tplink/EAPController/logs/mongod.log" --nohttpinterface --bind_ip 127.0.0.1
    repairCommand = "/opt/tplink/EAPController/bin/mongod" --repair --dbpath "/opt/tplink/EAPController/data/db" --logappend --logpath "/opt/tplink/EAPController/logs/mongod.log"
    "/opt/tplink/EAPController/bin/mongod" --port 27017 --dbpath "/opt/tplink/EAPController/data/db" -pidfilepath "/opt/tplink/EAPController/data/mongo.pid" --logappend --logpath "/opt/tplink/EAPController/logs/mongod.log" --nohttpinterface --bind_ip 127.0.0.1
    Killed
    ---- end stdout------

Edit2:

... and again with all the options:

--- start stdout ---
    root@eap-controller:~# java -Deap.home="/opt/tplink/EAPController/" -Xms128m -Xmx1024m -XX:MaxHeapFreeRatio=60 -XX:MinHeapFreeRatio=30 -XX:+UseSerialGC -XX:+HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError -cp /opt/tplink/EAPController/lib/com.tp-link.eap.start-0.0.1-SNAPSHOT.jar:/opt/tplink/EAPController/lib/*:/opt/tplink/EAPController/external-lib/* com.tp_link.eap.start.EapMain start
    log4j:WARN No appenders could be found for logger (com.tp_link.eap.util.system.SystemUtil).
    log4j:WARN Please initialize the log4j system properly.
    ========EAP_LINUX_MONGOD_KEY======
    mongodPath = "/opt/tplink/EAPController/bin/mongod" --port 27017 --dbpath "/opt/tplink/EAPController/data/db" -pidfilepath "/opt/tplink/EAPController/data/mongo.pid" --logappend --logpath "/opt/tplink/EAPController/logs/mongod.log" --nohttpinterface --bind_ip 127.0.0.1
    repairCommand = "/opt/tplink/EAPController/bin/mongod" --repair --dbpath "/opt/tplink/EAPController/data/db" --logappend --logpath "/opt/tplink/EAPController/logs/mongod.log"
    "/opt/tplink/EAPController/bin/mongod" --port 27017 --dbpath "/opt/tplink/EAPController/data/db" -pidfilepath "/opt/tplink/EAPController/data/mongo.pid" --logappend --logpath "/opt/tplink/EAPController/logs/mongod.log" --nohttpinterface --bind_ip 127.0.0.1
    Killed
    --- end stdout ---

Edit3:

When "watch"ing netstat, while starting the jar, I can see mongod listening on 127.0.0.1:27017 and two ports occupied by the same java process (TCP/1099 and a more or less random TCP port above 30000).
    Then mongod stops or gets killed and java exits with the "Killed" message.
    Last edited by PeterL.; 08-14-2017 at 13:42.

mongodb listens on port 27017. Port 1099 is rmiregistry. The EAPController listens on ports 8043 and 8088.

Just to make sure: you are aware that on Linux there is no popup appearing as in the Windows version of EAPC? You need to start a browser and go to either localhost:8088 or localhost:8043/login.

Otherwise, I have no idea why it doesn't run on your Linux.

Quote Originally Posted by R1D2 View Post
    mongodb listens on port 27017. Port 1099 is rmiregistry. The EAPController listens on ports 8043 and 8088.

Just to make sure: you are aware that on Linux there is no popup appearing as in the Windows version of EAPC? You need to start a browser and go to either localhost:8088 or localhost:8043/login.
    I'm absolutely aware that there is no pop-up and there is no X server running on my machine where the pop-up could be displayed if there was one.
    There is nothing listening on ports TCP/8088 or TCP/8043 - the java process exits before it gets that far.

Otherwise, I have no idea why it doesn't run on your Linux.
    As this is a fresh install of Debian Stretch on a vSphere VM and the problem also exists on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS (which is in the list of supported OSes) on the same VM the conclusion is that the downloadable package got some issues.

Thanks again for your efforts
    I will be opening a ticket with support as soon as possible

Regards
    Peter

---

Edit1:

Although the issue is most likely with the package, I still HAD to try something else.
    On a VPS of mine which has been dist-upgraded since Debian 7 the package seems to be working.

I'm wondering what the difference to a fresh Debian 9 may be?

I'll be doing another test with another VM on another vSphere host and report back here, to have everything in one place.
    Last edited by PeterL.; 08-14-2017 at 15:15.

Had same problem and issue turned out to be OpenJRE. Switching to OracleJRE did not work properly so I cut the losses and started afresh with LUbuntu 17.04 and OracleJDK

Although the issue is most likely with the package, I still HAD to try something else.
    On a VPS of mine which has been dist-upgraded since Debian 7 the package seems to be working.

I'm wondering what the difference to a fresh Debian 9 may be?
    This is really strange. I tested it on a Dell server with a fresh Debian 8 install and on another, smaller system also with a freshly installed Debian 8.

Maybe there is an issue with some kind of resource limit if running in a VM? Just a guess ...

Quote Originally Posted by Timmie View Post
    Will there also be a support to run the controller on a synology nas ?
    In the first place, the Java environment would have to be supported by Synology for their platform, which AFAIK is based on their own custom Linux system.
    But you probably would not have much fun running Java on an embedded system, even if it is x86-based.

reminds me, how come you either have a 32 bit windows controller supporting XP/vista and up.
    but the linux controller is 64 bit only ?
    I'm not from TP-Link, but I guess there is no port to 32-bit Linux b/c most business class servers use 64-bit processors those days (remember, the EAPs are targeting business users). Even 32-bit embedded x86-based platforms are becoming more and more obsolete in last years. As for XP/Vista: see, UNIX, the predecessor of Linux, was ported 40 years ago even on 128-bit platforms and did widely support 64-bit for mass market platforms (!) already in the early 1990's, when Microsoft just was introducing the "world's first 32-bit Operating System" (on their supported platforms; they always forgot to mention this in the ads and in the TV spots). So, a comparison of those different ecospheres are by no means a reliable indicator for the technical base of a software application.
    Last edited by R1D2; 08-15-2017 at 00:17.

Hi R1D2, PeterL, MikeB,

i have exactly the same problem on Debian Jessie Physical Hardware, Debian Jessie VM (Proxmox), Ubuntu 16.4 LTS VM (Proxmox)
    vm is not the problem , same problem on, physical
    but, just to be sure, i try to install Ubuntu on physical

In the first place, the Java environment would have to be supported by Synology for their platform, which AFAIK is based on their own custom Linux system.
    But you probably would not have much fun running Java on an embedded system, even if it is x86-based.

actually, the synology itself supports java.
    and sombody already build a package for unifi controllers.
    http://synology.acmenet.ru/

I'm not from TP-Link, but I guess there is no port to 32-bit Linux b/c most business class servers use 64-bit processors those days (remember, the EAPs are targeting business users). Even 32-bit embedded x86-based platforms are becoming more and more obsolete in last years. As for XP/Vista: see, UNIX, the predecessor of Linux, was ported 40 years ago even on 128-bit platforms and did widely support 64-bit for mass market platforms (!) already in the early 1990's, when Microsoft just was introducing the "world's first 32-bit Operating System" (on their supported platforms; they always forgot to mention this in the ads and in the TV spots). So, a comparison of those different ecospheres are by no means a reliable indicator for the technical base of a software application.
    cant argue about that.

I did some more testing in regards to the java app exiting in middle of the startup process.

I switched to another vSphere host (vSphere 6.5 on HP ProLiant hardware), with exactly the same results.
    As I had another system around for testing I also tried running it in a Hyper-V 2012R2 VM on desktop hardware (HP EliteDesk 800 G1), which also showed exactly the same results.

Soooooo ... Debian Stretch in a VM on IBM/Lenovo xServer running vSphere 6.5 -> no go
    Debian Stretch in a VM on HP ProLiant running vSphere 6.5 -> no go
    Debian Stretch in a VM on HP desktop running Hyper-V 2012R2 (licensed, not free) -> no go

Debian Stretch in a VM on unknown server hardware running Linux and KVM -> works
    Debian Stretch on unknown desktop hardware in a DC run by OVH -> works

jeanphi reported negative results of VMs running on Proxmox - was this OpenVZ containers or KVM VMs?

I'm tempted to post a joke about java portability ...

Regards
    Peter

Edit1:
    I've also tried Debian 7.11, Debian 8.3 and Ubuntu 16.04 LTS in vSphere VMs and all show the same - non working - result.

Edit2:
    I've forgotten to mention, that available memory is NOT the problem.
    The app does not start on a 4GB memory system but launches without an issue on a 1GB memory system.
    Last edited by PeterL.; 08-16-2017 at 13:50.