+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

EAP-Software: Why not available for Linux / as Docker image

Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP : [/COLOR]

Hi there,

I am a mac pureplayer and just bought EAP 330 APs.
    So far, I am very happy but delivering only windows software seems to be "from the past".
    I understand that it's purely java (tomcat) & mongodb and ask myself why there is no linux version publicly available?

If you would just release a docker, this would be really awesome.

Tobias

Thank you for your feedback. Now our developers are working on it. It will be coming soon, please keep an eye on our website.

I managed to port it to unix on my own, it should be fairly easy.

I think there should also be efforts put into the stability and functionality of the tool. Compared to Ubiquity there's way to go.

Tobias

Members R1D2 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by tplink_smb View Post
    Thank you for your feedback. Now our developers are working on it. It will be coming soon, please keep an eye on our website.
    Very welcome! If you need beta tester for EAC running on Linux and/or Mac OS, I would be glad to help.

any release date available already?

Grtz,
    E-raser

After spending some time with the software I decided to return the devices and switch to Ubiquiti.

Just for you to know how important it is to have
    a. Good Software
    which runs on
    b. Most Servers

Both is not the case for your devices. It is a pity as hardware seemed solid.

Tobias

Junior Member RonB is on a distinguished road
    Looking to have it on linux. As already asked, have a docker set available, I would be able to run it on my synology. As this box is always on, it would be a perfect match.

Junior Member AlexK-NY is on a distinguished road

Exclamation Linux ASAP please (Ubuntu server package) for AP controller service & captive portal

Same here. I have just finished a cluster WiFi install with a captive portal as follows:
    • PoE switch TP-Link TL-SG1008PE
    • WiFi access points Ubiquiti UAP-AC-PRO-US
    • Controller / captive portal for the access points running on Ubuntu Server 16.04.2 LTS (with Gnome WM)
    Ubiquiti's Linux AP controller was super-easy to set up on Ubuntu (standard pkg, just add source), and runs rock-solid as a Linux service. 0 problems so far. VERY polished and slick web UI.

EXCEPT: Ubiquiti as a business has this oily feel - they try to collect usage data (no complete opt-out - I had to configure firewall) and leave gaps in their pretty UI charts with "Buy this other piece of Ubiquiti hardware to populate data here" type messages instead of simply omitting the inapplicable sections.

I far prefer TP-Link's no-nonsense approach and hardware value. BUT it HAS to run on Ubuntu Linux, and it has to be ROCK SOLID.

It's 2017. I'm not paying for a Windows Server 2016 and supporting it just to run a few access points in this little hotel or that restaurant, nor relying on a Windows 10 workstation (requiring a domain controller with group policies and/or lots of labor to harden to unattended server standards - with follow-ups after every major update as they keep adding and re-enabling junk), nor relying on Windows 7, no longer fully supported. TP-Link folks, forget about Windows head-end in a small/medium business context, just forget it! Maybe for simple end-user self-installs 5 yrs ago it was a good idea, but not for someone supporting more than one installation and wanting to be able to sleep at night.

Alex

Well said, Alex! I'm waiting for Linux support for TP-Link HW for a very long time now, b/c I don't like UBNT's attitude of doing business (which just reminds me of the MS way of doing things to bind customers to them). Now, as the PharOS controller for outdoor APs from TP-Link has become available for Linux, I hope that a Linux version of the EAP Controller and also the Network Management System tpNMS will eventually follow.

We would be able to sell much more EAPs than we are doing now if the Controller would be available for Linux.

Windows just doesn't play any role in professional networking environments with the demand of continuous 24/7 service availability. Since TP-Links corporate motto is The reliable choice - what is definitely true for their hardware, which unexceptionally runs embedded Linux - I still wonder why they rely on an unreliable system such as Windows for accompanying software.
    Last edited by R1D2; 06-07-2017 at 10:26.

Junior Member EricLapointe is on a distinguished road
    Would you like to explain how you did it ?

Dear all members, glad to tell you that the Linux version controller has been developed and is during the uploading process, it will be online within several days.
    The software will support Ubuntu:16.04/17.04; CentOS: 7.2/7.3; Fedora: 24/25, please keep an eye on our official website.

Quote Originally Posted by tplink_smb View Post
    Dear all members, glad to tell you that the Linux version controller has been developed and is during the uploading process, it will be online within several days.
    Great! Thanks for the notification!

Hi,

Great news!
    Works perfect on Debian 7

Br,
    E-raser
    Last edited by E-raser; 07-20-2017 at 13:15.

Great!

But there is a bug in the control.sh start/stop script: it creates a logfile "stop.log" in the bin subdirectory instead of in the logs directory if the Controller is stopped. Probably unnoticed by QC because of the same reason why a similar bug in Pharos Control (/dev/nyll instead of /dev/null in its start/stop script) did pass through: missing privilege separation.

Please, TP-Link, why can't we run this software as an unprivileged user as it is common standard in Linux? It's of course o.k. to ask for root permissions to install software, but it's definitely not so to have to run the application as the root user, especially not for a web-based service!

If I start the EAP Controller as an unprivileged user, I get the error message:

A non-root user can't receive a broadcast packet if the socket is not bound to a wildcard address; binding to a non-wildcard address (/192.168.1.25:0) anyway as requested.
    Uhm, what's the point to bind to the primary IP address of the server instead of to the wildcard address, which would be possible for non-root users, too?

Is this the only place where root permissions are needed for in the EAP Controller? If so, please can you change this to bind to the wildcard address?

Anyway, I have adapted the start/stop script to my Debian Linux version. This fixes the bug mentioned above and also prepares for rudimentary privilege separation by switching to a role account ("eapc" in the script, could be any other user ID you prefer) before starting the EAP Controller.

Until it's clear wether binding the socket is the only place which needs root permissions because of not using a wildcard address, I have uncommented the unprivileged user so that the start/stop script runs the EAP Controller as root and therefore it is fully compatible to the original script.

It also adds a restart function, fully complies to the Linux Standard Base (LSB) and removes unnecessary clutter from the original script.

Just name it control.sh and put it into the eapHome/bin subdirectory:

Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    ### BEGIN INIT INFO
    # Provides:          eap
    # Required-Start:    $local_fs $remote_fs $network $syslog
    # Required-Stop:     $local_fs $remote_fs $network $syslog
    # Default-Start:     2 3 4 5
    # Default-Stop:      0 1 6
    # X-Interactive:     true
    # Short-Description: EAP Controller
    # Description:       Start the EAP Controller and the MongoDB server
    #  This script will start eap and the mongod database server.
    ### END INIT INFO

DESC="EAP Controller"

# Role account for privilege separation.
    #
    # Set to "root" if you really want to run a web-based service
    # with full administrative permissions (not recommended!).
    EAPC_USER=root
    #EAPC_USER=eapc

EAPC_HOME="$(readlink -f $0)"
    EAPC_HOME="${EAPC_HOME%/*/*}"
    EAPC_LOG="$EAPC_HOME/logs"

JRE_HOME=$EAPC_HOME"/jre"
    JAVA_TOOL=$EAPC_HOME/jre/bin/java
    JAVA_OPTS="-Xms128m -Xmx1024m -XX:MaxHeapFreeRatio=60 -XX:MinHeapFreeRatio=30 -XX:+UseSerialGC -XX:+HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError"
    JAVA_PATH="-cp $EAPC_HOME/lib/com.tp-link.eap.start-0.0.1-SNAPSHOT.jar:$EAPC_HOME/lib/*:$EAPC_HOME/external-lib/*"

# Check wether EAP Controller is running.
    # Returns EXIT_SUCCESS if running, EXIT_FAILURE otherwise.
    IS_RUNNING="$EAPC_HOME/bin/portt 127.0.0.1 8088 500"

# Check wether we are initially running as root so we can change privileges.
    check_perms() {
        [ $(id -ru) != 0 ] && { echo "You must be root to $1 the EAP Controller" 1>&2; exit 1; }
    }

case "$1" in
      start)
        $IS_RUNNING && { echo "EAP Controller is already running." 1>&2; exit 1; }

check_perms $1

[ -e "$EAPC_LOG" ] || {
            mkdir -m 755 $EAPC_LOG 2>/dev/null && chown $EAPC_USER $EAPC_LOG
        }

echo -n "Starting EAP Controller " 1>&2
        su $EAPC_USER -c "nohup $JAVA_TOOL -server $JAVA_OPTS $JAVA_PATH \
            -Deap.home=\"$EAPC_HOME\" com.tp_link.eap.start.EapMain start >$EAPC_LOG/startup.log 2>&1 &"

let count=0
        until $IS_RUNNING
        do
            echo -n "."
            [[ count++ -gt 120 ]] && {
                echo -e "\nStart failed - see '$EAPC_LOG/startup.log' for errors." 1>&2
                exit 1
            }
            sleep 1
        done
        echo -e "\nEAP Controller started successfully."
        echo "Direct your browser to http://127.0.0.1:8088 for access."
        exit 0
        ;;

stop)
        $IS_RUNNING || { echo "EAP Controller already stopped." 1>&2; exit 1; }

check_perms $1

echo -n "Stopping EAP Controller "
        su $EAPC_USER -c "$JAVA_TOOL $JAVA_PATH \
            -Deap.home=\"$EAPC_HOME\" com.tp_link.eap.start.EapMain stop >$EAPC_LOG/stop.log 2>&1 &"

let count=0
        while $IS_RUNNING
        do
            echo -n "."; sleep 1
            [[ count++ -gt 30 ]] && {
                echo -e "\nCould not stop EAP Controller after 30 seconds - please try again." 1>&2
                exit 1
            }
        done

echo -e "\nEAP Controller stopped successfully." 1>&2
        exit 0
        ;;

restart)
        check_perms $1

echo -n "Restarting EAP Controller " 1>&2
        $0 stop && sleep 2 && $0 start
        ;;

status)
        if $IS_RUNNING; then
            echo "EAP Controller is running."
            exit 0;
        else
            echo "EAP Controller is not running."
            exit 1;
        fi
        ;;

*)
        echo "Usage: $0 (start|stop|restart|status)"
        exit 1
        ;;
    esac
    BTW: testing the shell variable UID for detecting the root user is a bug in the original script, too. Shell variables can be changed. Instead the command id -ru should be used to check for the root user as shown in the script above.
    Last edited by R1D2; 07-22-2017 at 01:24.

I am wondering how you got the controller running.
    I've tried setting the EAPController up on Debian 9.1 as well as on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS without any luck.
    The result on both OSes is exactly the same.
    Logs don't show anything useful.

--- start startup.log ---
    %
    log4j:WARN No appenders could be found for logger (com.tp_link.eap.util.system.S
    ystemUtil).
    log4j:WARN Please initialize the log4j system properly.
    ========EAP_LINUX_MONGOD_KEY======
    mongodPath = "/opt/tplink/EAPController/bin/mongod" --port 27017 --dbpath "/opt/tplink/EAPController/data/db" -pidfilepath "/opt/tplink/EAPController/data/mongo.pid" --logappend --logpath "/opt/tplink/EAPController/logs/mongod.log" --nohttpinterface --bind_ip 127.0.0.1
    repairCommand = "/opt/tplink/EAPController/bin/mongod" --repair --dbpath "/opt/tplink/EAPController/data/db" --logappend --logpath "/opt/tplink/EAPController/logs/mongod.log"
    "/opt/tplink/EAPController/bin/mongod" --port 27017 --dbpath "/opt/tplink/EAPController/data/db" -pidfilepath "/opt/tplink/EAPController/data/mongo.pid" --logappend --logpath "/opt/tplink/EAPController/logs/mongod.log" --nohttpinterface --bind_ip 127.0.0.1
    --- end startup.log ---

When starting up mongod manually, it keeps running as expected.
    When just starting the java application it starts mongod and kills it shortly after.

Debugging it by launching each component one-by-one doesn't seem to work as the java part is fiddling with everything else.

I also tried switching from the JRE coming with the package to Oracle JRE 1.8, which did not make any difference.

Adding the reference to the "log4j.properties" file to the java startup line makes the warnings disappear but also makes no difference regarding startup.

Tips anyone?

Regards
    Peter