Welcome to TP-LINK Tech Support Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by R1D2 View Post
    Sure. Why not?

You have one CPE in AP mode and the other one in Client mode, right? You are hopefully not using DHCP for their LAN network settings, are you?

If so, just type in the IP of the remote CPE in your browser's address field.
    I've set the AP in its normal setting mode and then set the remote point up as client ap which plugs into the wan port on the router. When at the remote site im able to access the client ap however i'm not able to access the main ap. Is there a special way to do this?

thanks for giving me an idea about the speed to expect. I'll try turn on the 40mhz again and see if that increases things a little.

Quote Originally Posted by baldog View Post
    How would i select/change the MCS?
    Here's how to change MCS rates. Be wary that you have to do so for BOTH the AP and the client CPEs.

Name:  MCS PharOS2.png
Views: 0
Size:  98.8 KB

Here's why you should play around with it according to spec datasheets for Ubiquiti's NanoStation's Loco M5 which is a spec-equivalent to the CPE510. Check out the sensitivity rates for MCS 8-12 and you'll figure out the rest

Name:  MCS indeces - Tx:Rx dBm.png
Size:  111.1 KB

I've set the AP in its normal setting mode and then set the remote point up as client ap which plugs into the wan port on the router. When at the remote site im able to access the client ap however i'm not able to access the main ap. Is there a special way to do this?
    So you have network A <-> CPE #1 in AP mode <-> CPE #2 in client mode <-> WAN router LAN <-> network B?

If so, CPE #1 and #2 and the WAN of the router are on the same network A and should be reachable from systems in this network.
    Last edited by R1D2; 04-19-2017 at 12:38.

Here's my findings: turning on 20/40mhz kills the connection and my download drops to 4 meg. Dropping it back down to 20mhz on MCS 12 seems to double to upload speed and maybe ad around 1 meg to the overall download speed. MCS channels 8 - 11 aren't available however MCS 3 is which i'll give a go tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by R1D2 View Post
    So you have network A <-> CPE #1 in AP mode <-> CPE #2 in client mode <-> WAN router LAN <-> network B?

If so, CPE #1 and #2 and the WAN of the router are on the same network A and should be reachable from systems in this network.
    Yea that's how i have it. Its strange because on the network b side i can configure the cpe #2 using without having to change my network adapter ip addresses to the same sub net. However on network a i'm unable to access the cpe and have to plug in directly to get to the admin page.

I thought you said you had CPE #2 in AP client (router) mode, no? If that's the case I suggest changing it to plain client mode...

sorry yes its in Client AP mode. I didn't want the two networks as one large network

sorry yes its in Client AP mode. I didn't want the two networks as one large network
    In AP client router mode, the wireless side is the WAN network and without specification of the Remote Login IP Address in the Management menu you surely can't access the web UI of the CPE. You would not want your WAN side to be open for everyone.

MCS channels 8 - 11 aren't available however MCS 3 is which i'll give a go tomorrow.
    MCS is speed/modulation index, not channels. This are my choices of MCS for n mode or a/n mixed mode on a CPE510:

Name:  Untitled.png
Size:  23.5 KB

I have no idea why MCS4 to MCS15 should be missing. MCS3 would limit the speed to 26/28.9 Mbps at channel width 20 MHz.

It's MCS 8-11 that's missing, same on all 6 of my CPEs so far, including v1, v1.1 and v1.1(EU) hardware.

No idea why either..

I think they've removed the ability to select these so that you dont go over the signal limit. I've tried for the last hour to get a better internet link by adjusting the settings and the max i can get seems to be 20 meg. I'm presuming its something that's blocking the signal from point to point so i'm tempted to either raise the AP up another 1.5 meters or apply for a 5 ghz license and buy some new equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by RTouris View Post
    It's MCS 8-11 that's missing, same on all 6 of my CPEs so far, including v1, v1.1 and v1.1(EU) hardware.
    Ah, I see, didn't read carefully.

Maybe they are not implemented b/c speed is much the same as MCS 1, 3, 4 and 5 with only difference of modulation schemes / spatial streams at similar receiving sensitivities.

So, instead of MCS8 you could use MCS1, and for MCS9 you could use MCS3. But speed would be reduced to as low as 14.4 Mbps @ MCS1 aka MCS8 and 20MHz channel width.

Name:  Untitled.png
Size:  149.0 KB
    Last edited by R1D2; 04-20-2017 at 12:37.

+1

baldog: I'd first opt for the height increase scenario, it paid dividends in most of my cases Do you have a clear LoS? Even if you do the Freshnel zone is equally as important..For example if there's high-rise buildings or vegetation / foliage @ 1.5km away from the AP these could very well deteriorate you signal more that you can imagine.

In any case there's no harm done in testing
    Last edited by RTouris; 04-20-2017 at 13:56.

Rtouris: i'll try adding another 1.5m to the pole on AP side and see what happens...i'll report back once i'm done!

Any follow-up on this?

Name:  170424 2.5km, 22dB (MCS12:40Mhz).png
Size:  140.4 KB

Just to spice things up a bit, I enclosed a screenshot of a newly setup non-optimised link 2.55km-away that has a somewhat clear LoS and Freshnel zone..Upon further optimization I think this can easily go over 25dB (have succeded so on such distances in the past, even above 3.0km).

For reference at its current form this link manages ~60Mbps (real airtime data) in reception to the client and ~25Mbps in transmission to the AP with ease on channels that are already populated.
    Last edited by RTouris; 04-24-2017 at 17:37.