Welcome to TP-LINK Tech Support Forum
+ Reply to Thread

Extending indoor coverage from outdoor WiFi Hotspot

Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP : [/COLOR]

Has anyone tried to extending the indoor coverage from a outdoor Optimum WiFi Hotspot? I tried doing this following several ways but have never been able to get the Optimum WiFi DHCP server to respond.

One simple wired example is I tried a WiFi-to-100BaseT adapter, using an Ethernet cable to extend the Optimum network a bit farther into the building. I placed the WiFi on an exterior wall that has a reasonable strong Optimum WiFi signal (e.g., a laptop at this exterior location has no problem connecting and operating with a good data throughput) and then ran a Cat 5 cable from the router to a computer. The wireless setup seemed to work fine, but the wired computer connected to the adapter never receive a DHCP response.

Thank you for your help

If your WiFi-to-Ethernet adapter is indeed a router, you have to set up a DHCP server and a default route to make this setup work. Without details of your setup nobody can tell you exactly what to do, except that it would be much easier to use a TL-WA901ND AP or similar in client or repeater mode instead of using a router to wirelessly connect wired or other WiFi devices to a hotspot.
    Last edited by R1D2; 04-06-2017 at 16:06.

Quote Originally Posted by dcsnehad View Post
    then ran a Cat 5 cable from the router to a computer. The wireless setup seemed to work fine, but the wired computer connected to the adapter never receive a DHCP response
    A little bit confused about your description. Any details about your setup topology and the TP-Link outdoor AP model? On the outdoor wifi side, is it connected to a router(DHCP server)? The outdoor AP is not a DHCP server so it can't assign IP address to your computer.