Welcome to TP-LINK Tech Support Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by R1D2 View Post
    Sorry, did forget this. Since OpenWRT's LuCI web UI uses a self-signed certificate with - meanwhile - weak signature algorithms, modern browsers refuse to accept it. Just ignore this. It's no bank account and no credit card data is at risk either.
    I didn't think it mattered.
    On another note, have installed OpenWrt Chaos Calmer 15.05.1 r49389, however, it doesn't have the Switch tab. I was able to insert a script in the Network file that brought up the Switch tab,however, the VLANs is not functional. Meaning there isn't any way of adding the VLANs. There's an Add button but it doesn't add the places to add the VLAN details. Any thoughts on this?
    BTW I did post this question on the OpenWRT forum.

Last edited by cayvman; 04-14-2017 at 13:00.

[QUOTE=cayvman;202810]I didn't think it mattered.<br>
    On another note, have installed <font color="#333333"><span style="font-family: Helvetica">OpenWrt Chaos Calmer 15.05.1 r49389, however, it doesn't have the Switch tab. I was able to insert a script in the Network file that brought up the Switch tab,however, the VLANs is not functional. Meaning there isn't any way of adding the VLANs. There's an Add button but it doesn't add the places to add the VLAN details. Any thoughts on this?<br>
    BTW I did post this question on the OpenWRT forum.<br>
    <br>
    Still not working.
    Attached Images            

Does not sound good. Now I understand what you meant with "script": did you insert a switch config manually? Usually the default config includes anything supported by the chip. If there is no VLAN section by default, this means that the chip probably does not support VLAN - that would be the first one crossing my way in more than 10 years work with OpenWRT, but everything is possible. My company changed the main supplier from Linksys to TP-Link after the WRT160 fiasco, shortly after Cisco took over Linksys. Seems it has been even worser with WRT1x00 family of routers ...

Let's see what the OpenWRT guys familiar with WRT1200 will say about it.

Does not sound good. Now I understand what you meant with "script": did you insert a switch config manually? Usually the default config includes anything supported by the chip. If there is no VLAN section by default, this means that the chip probably does not support VLAN - that would be the first one crossing my way in more than 10 years work with OpenWRT, but everything is possible. My company changed the main supplier from Linksys to TP-Link after the WRT160 fiasco, shortly after Cisco took over Linksys. Seems it has been even worser with WRT1x00 family of routers ...

Let's see what the OpenWRT guys familiar with WRT1200 will say about it.
    Any suggestions regards routers that would do what we've been trying to do? Did a quick check on OpenWRT and one of their recommendations was for the netgear WNDR3700 a router I had but bricked and threw away. Getting one on Amazon for $24. (used). Will have it on Sunday so we'll see what happens then. Sucks to think that all the time and effort was wasted in a sense, except for the education. Appreciate all of your help. Will keep the thread open till I achieve success or madness. Whichever comes first.
    Last edited by cayvman; 04-15-2017 at 01:37.

Quote Originally Posted by cayvman View Post
    Any suggestions regards routers that would do what we've been trying to do? Did a quick check on OpenWRT and one of their recommendations was for the netgear WNDR3700 a router I had but bricked and threw away. Getting one on Amazon for $24. (used). Will have it on Sunday so we'll see what happens then. Sucks to think that all the time and effort was wasted in a sense, except for the education. Appreciate all of your help. Will keep the thread open till I achieve success or madness. Whichever comes first.
    Yes, the WNDR3700 will do it. I ported my OpenWRT-based software to the WNDR3800, which has the same architecture as the WNDR3700. OpenWRT firmware is identical for both models.

The WNDR3700/3800 have a Realtek RTL8366 Ethernet switch, which supports VLANs (see https://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/netgear...iguration_vlan).

I like this particular model b/c it has plenty of RAM and a fast CPU, at least for an embedded device released 6 years ago. Actually, it was once the premium model under a dozen of devices we offered customers until we introduced TL-WDR4300 some years ago. I still use my WNDR3800 beside several TL-WDR4300s.

No doubt, with the WNDR3700 you will achieve success in setting up a VLAN.

Yes, the WNDR3700 will do it. I ported my OpenWRT-based software to the WNDR3800, which has the same architecture as the WNDR3700. OpenWRT firmware is identical for both models.

The WNDR3700/3800 have a Realtek RTL8366 Ethernet switch, which supports VLANs (see https://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/netgear...iguration_vlan).

I like this particular model b/c it has plenty of RAM and a fast CPU, at least for an embedded device released 6 years ago. Actually, it was once the premium model under a dozen of devices we offered customers until we introduced TL-WDR4300 some years ago. I still use my WNDR3800 beside several TL-WDR4300s.

No doubt, with the WNDR3700 you will achieve success in setting up a VLAN.
    Still playing around with the wrtac1200. installed the lede version of the firmware and it comes up with the the network and switch tab. with this version it designates LAN as eth0.1.I created a guest LAN and named it eth0.2 Have managed to isolate port 2 of the router but can't get it to recognize the ip address given guest lan. I have no idea how the wan, and the two cpu ports are supposed to be: off, tagged or untagged. btw one cpu port is eth0 and the other eth1.
    I can send a picture later.

I wouldn't investigate too much time into the WRT1200 setup as long as it isn't sure that it can handle VLANs and open source software can configure it.

Usually, VLAN tags are just used inside a closed network. If data leaves the network, it generally is untagged (except you extend the "closed network" to some external devices such as another switch or a CPE with two or more SSIDs). By default WAN and LAN (external) ports are untagged, while the (internal) port/wiring between the physical switch and the CPU is tagged, b/c the CPU needs to be able to handle each packet, be it from WAN or from LAN.

The WRT1200 has to have two CPU ports, b/c it has two physical NICs (WAN and LAN are on an own NIC each) as you did found out. So two ports/wirings are needed anyway.

BTW: There is a nice picture of the WNDR3700 architecture in the OpenWRT hardware wiki, which shows port assignments:

https://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/netgear/wndr3700#switch_ports_for_vlans

I
    t also has two separate NICs just like the WRT1200, but you can use VLANs on both NICs if needed.
    Last edited by R1D2; 04-15-2017 at 11:46.

I wouldn't investigate too much time into the WRT1200 setup as long as it isn't sure that it can handle VLANs and open source software can configure it.

Usually, VLAN tags are just used inside a closed network. If data leaves the network, it generally is untagged (except you extend the "closed network" to some external devices such as another switch or a CPE with two or more SSIDs). By default WAN and LAN (external) ports are untagged, while the (internal) port/wiring between the physical switch and the CPU is tagged, b/c the CPU needs to be able to handle each packet, be it from WAN or from LAN.

The WRT1200 has to have two CPU ports, b/c it has two physical NICs (WAN and LAN are on an own NIC each) as you did found out. So two ports/wirings are needed anyway.

BTW: There is a nice picture of the WNDR3700 architecture in the OpenWRT hardware wiki, which shows port assignments:

https://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/netgear/wndr3700#switch_ports_for_vlans

I
    t also has two separate NICs just like the WRT1200, but you can use VLANs on both NICs if needed.
    Just received my wndr3700 v5 and wouldn't you know it there isn't a version 5 firmware available.

Just received my wndr3700 v5 and wouldn't you know it there isn't a version 5 firmware available.
    Sure it is. Supported since r49247, see https://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/netgear...penwrt_support

Sure it is. Supported since r49247, see https://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/netgear...penwrt_support
    I saw that but I can't see where to download the firmware.

I saw that but I can't see where to download the firmware.
    http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapsho...r71xx/generic/

BTW, in post #49 you asked for a recommendation, but had ordered the WNDR3700 already. I would have recommended a TL-WDR4300 or an Archer C7, both are supported by OpenWRT for a long time now. But WNDR3700 or even better WNDR3800 should be o.k. also.

http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapsho...r71xx/generic/

BTW, in post #49 you asked for a recommendation, but had ordered the WNDR3700 already. I would have recommended a TL-WDR4300 or an Archer C7, both are supported by OpenWRT for a long time now. But WNDR3700 or even better WNDR3800 should be o.k. also.
    If I can't get this one to work I'll return and purchase one of the recommended ones.

If I can't get this one to work I'll return and purchase one of the recommended ones.
    Got a TL WDR4300
    and this is how the default interfaces are configured:
    Name:  default interface settings.PNG
Views: 0
Size:  42.1 KB
    If I understood previous advisements, LAN should be eth1.01 and when I create a Guest VLAN it would be eth1.02. Is that correct?

If I understood previous advisements, LAN should be eth1.01 and when I create a Guest VLAN it would be eth1.02. Is that correct?
    No, eth0.1 is LAN, VLAN ID is 1. eth0.2 is WAN, VLAN ID is 2. They share a common physical switch interface (eth0) on this router.

Your guest network would be eth0.3, VLAN ID 3 or whatever eth0.x, VLAN ID x.
    Last edited by R1D2; 04-21-2017 at 15:26.

No, eth0.1 is LAN, VLAN ID is 1. eth0.2 is WAN, VLAN ID is 2. They share a common physical switch interface (eth0) on this router.

Your guest network would be eth0.3, VLAN ID 3 or whatever eth0.x, VLAN ID x.
    Have created VLAN ID 3 eth0.3 with static id of 192.168.3.1
    Here's my Switch Configuration, however, it doesn't work as set up.. Port 2 on the Router is Port 3 in the Software. When connect ethernet cable to port 2 on router and to my computer then run arp -a in cmd window it does not come back with the static id of 192.168.3.1.
    IName:  mod switch settings.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  51.6 KB