Welcome to TP-LINK Tech Support Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

CPE210 Configuration

Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP : [/COLOR]

I want a wifi access point for Airbnb users on my property - a guest user network. The TP-Link unit (CPE210) is wired and is around 50 feet from the modem and router.
    I would like the guest network to be different from my personal network. Currently personal is 192.168.1.x and would like the guest network to be, for instance, 192.168.2.x.
    Is this something the cpe210 can do or do i need to set up a second router and connect the cpe210 to it?
    any help or suggestions appreciated.

Members R1D2 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by cayvman View Post
    Is this something the cpe210 can do or do i need to set up a second router and connect the cpe210 to it?
    Yes, the CPE210 supports multiple SSIDs and VLANs. But you need either a VLAN-capable switch or a VLAN setup in your router to use the Multi-SSID feature of the CPE210. See http://www.tp-link.com/at/faq-755.html for Multi-SSID setup.

Thank you both. Will post my results.

Thank you both,will post results.

Beware of AP router mode: it will expose your personal network to the guest network if connected to the same router/modem.

Quote Originally Posted by R1D2 View Post
    Beware of AP router mode: it will expose your personal network to the guest network if connected to the same router/modem.
    Which is exactly what I don't want to happen.

Yes, the CPE210 supports multiple SSIDs and VLANs. But you need either a VLAN-capable switch or a VLAN setup in your router to use the Multi-SSID feature of the CPE210. See http://www.tp-link.com/at/faq-755.html for Multi-SSID setup.
    I have a linksys wrt1200ac router. So, if I'm understanding the directions correctly, I must first set up a VLAN on the router than attach the cpe210's poe to that (VLAN) port. Correct?

I have a linksys wrt1200ac router. So, if I'm understanding the directions correctly, I must first set up a VLAN on the router than attach the cpe210's poe to that (VLAN) port. Correct?
    Almost correct. I don't know the WRT1200 (my last Linksys was WRT160), but if you are running OpenWRT, you can easily create two VLANs, assign a VLAN trunk (tagged) port and connect the CPE's LAN port (not PoE port) of the power injector to the WRT1200's trunk port. This way, the WRT1200 will direct traffic on each of the two VLANs into two distinct networks. Using the firewall you isolate both networks from each other.
    Last edited by R1D2; 04-05-2017 at 00:15.

Almost correct. I don't know the WRT1200 (my last Linksys was WRT160), but if you are running OpenWRT, you can easily create two VLANs, assign a VLAN trunk (tagged) port and connect the CPE's LAN port (not PoE port) of the power injector to the WRT1200's trunk port. This way, the WRT1200 will direct traffic on each of the two VLANs into two distinct networks. Using the firewall you isolate both networks from each other.
    Is OpenWRT different from DD-WRT, which I have on the WRT1200. With dd-wrt the firmware has vap not vlan and don't think i have it configured correctly. Have separate networks but for some reason the cpe is connecting to the main network (192.168.1.x) and not the guest network (192.168.2.x).

Is OpenWRT different from DD-WRT, which I have on the WRT1200. With dd-wrt the firmware has vap not vlan and don't think i have it configured correctly. Have separate networks but for some reason the cpe is connecting to the main network (192.168.1.x) and not the guest network (192.168.2.x).
    Not much different: DD-WRT is basically just a customized OpenWRT, which might be better suited for end-users.

Of course DD-WRT has VLANs: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/VLAN_Support

VAPs (Virtual Access Points) are multiple wireless network interfaces, which need a VLAN to be bridged to. See the introductory note on: https://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Multiple_WLANs

You need to enable the CPE's Multi-SSID feature in order to assign a VLAN to an SSID even if you only use one SSID (guest network). Select the VLAN ID which is assigned to the DD-WRT's guest network and mark the switch's port the CPE is connected to as a tagged port in DD-WRT.
    Last edited by R1D2; 04-06-2017 at 15:16.

Not much different: DD-WRT is basically just a customized OpenWRT, which might be better suited for end-users.

Of course DD-WRT has VLANs: http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/VLAN_Support

VAPs (Virtual Access Points) are multiple wireless network interfaces, which need a VLAN to be bridged to. See the introductory note on: https://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Multiple_WLANs

You need to enable the CPE's Multi-SSID feature in order to assign a VLAN to an SSID even if you only use one SSID (guest network). Select the VLAN ID which is assigned to the DD-WRT's guest network and mark the switch's port the CPE is connected to as a tagged port in DD-WRT.
    Thanks for your input and time. I have another router the lynksys wrt54GS that i have the dd-wrt firmware on. With this router am able to set up a vlan (192.168.2.x) and then use the cpt210 as a repeater(extender) using the wifi ssid that i've set up on the vlan (192.168.2.x).

The problem i've encountered when trying to set it up with cpe210 in ap mode is that when i'm in the house the wifi ssid i've set up on a separate network appears correct. However, when i go back to the unit where the cpe210 is broadcasting and connect to the wifi ssid it indicates the home network ip address (192.168.1.x)

I must be doing something wrong, being that I'm not a network guy, it's a tad confusing and complex.

Just reread the post and will read your suggested links and when I read the tagging issue a light went off so I may still be able to salvage the wrtac1200 router.
    Again, thanks alot for you suggestions and help.
    Last edited by cayvman; 04-06-2017 at 17:05. Reason: more input

I have another router the lynksys wrt54GS that i have the dd-wrt firmware on. With this router am able to set up a vlan (192.168.2.x) and then use the cpt210 as a repeater(extender) using the wifi ssid that i've set up on the vlan (192.168.2.x).
    You need to find out the VLAN ID. On DD-WRT it is the second digit of the name of the Ethernet interface (e.g. eth0.3 means VLAN ID 3). The IP address is of no meaning here.

Also, you did not tell us wether you want the guest network exclusively on the CPE210 or wether you want the guest network as an additional WiFi network on the CPE210 (I assumed the latter).

So, if you are using the CPE210 only for the guest network and nothing else, the setup will be easier: just add a dedicated port of the WRT54's Ethernet switch to the guest network and connect the CPE to it. In this case you don't need to expand the VLAN to the CPE, i.e. you don't need Multi-SSID setup. To add a port to the guest VLAN, see the web UI of DD-WRT (settings for the built-in Ethernet switch of the WRT54).

If you want two networks on the CPE - your home and a guest network -, enable Multi-SSID, assign one SSID the VLAN ID of the home network (most often VLAN ID 1, but see your router's config to be sure) and the other SSID the VLAN ID of the guest network (most often VLAN ID 3 on OpenWRT-based systems, but again, see your router's config). Only in this case the switch's port must be tagged, that means it must be assigned to both networks and will carry the VLAN ID to/from the CPE where it will be separated again to the corresponding SSIDs. There should be a HowTo on the DD-WRT's website how to set up a guest network for the built-in WiFi of the WRT54. Only difference when using a CPE is that you need to expand the VLAN setup "over the wire" to the CPE.

Hope this helps.

You need to find out the VLAN ID. On DD-WRT it is the second digit of the name of the Ethernet interface (e.g. eth0.3 means VLAN ID 3). The IP address is of no meaning here.

Also, you did not tell us wether you want the guest network exclusively on the CPE210 or wether you want the guest network as an additional WiFi network on the CPE210 (I assumed the latter).

So, if you are using the CPE210 only for the guest network and nothing else, the setup will be easier: just add a dedicated port of the WRT54's Ethernet switch to the guest network and connect the CPE to it. In this case you don't need to expand the VLAN to the CPE, i.e. you don't need Multi-SSID setup. To add a port to the guest VLAN, see the web UI of DD-WRT (settings for the built-in Ethernet switch of the WRT54).

If you want two networks on the CPE - your home and a guest network -, enable Multi-SSID, assign one SSID the VLAN ID of the home network (most often VLAN ID 1, but see your router's config to be sure) and the other SSID the VLAN ID of the guest network (most often VLAN ID 3 on OpenWRT-based systems, but again, see your router's config). Only in this case the switch's port must be tagged, that means it must be assigned to both networks and will carry the VLAN ID to/from the CPE where it will be separated again to the corresponding SSIDs. There should be a HowTo on the DD-WRT's website how to set up a guest network for the built-in WiFi of the WRT54. Only difference when using a CPE is that you need to expand the VLAN setup "over the wire" to the CPE.

Hope this helps.
    The CPE210 is only for the guest network. Easy is good, since this is driving me crazy. Ever since a friend told me that I should have the guest network on a separate network from mine I've been struggling to make my personal network secure and isolated from the guest network, thus far with very limited results. I also want the guest network secure with WPA2-AES encryption (?). The WRTAC1200 has the ability for a guest network, however, it's not secure. So, I'm trying to have a secure guest network.
    For the last hour have been trying to create a dedicated port on the wrt54 but for some reason have not been successful, YET. When I think I have a dedicated port and hook the cpe lan port to it and go out and check it with my ipad, i get a no internet connection message. So, I'm doing something wrong, obviously.
    Once again, appreciate your time and suggestions. I'll be back at it in an hour or so.

I can think of the KISS principle (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KISS_principle).

Why don't you just hook it up via an ethernet cable in AP router mode, enable the DHCP server and create a separate subnetwork of .2.100 - .2.199, set the gateway to the IP of the router (EWAN), leave VLANs completely out of the game and in the wireless settings choose a WPA2-AES pass and enable AP isolation...wouldn't that lead to such a result as the one you' re after?

But then again R1D2 seems to suggest that there's a danger there, as "Beware of AP router mode: it will expose your personal network to the guest network if connected to the same router/modem.". However in enabling AP isolation via the router (CPE) how is this still possible?
    Last edited by RTouris; 04-06-2017 at 20:38.