Welcome to TP-LINK Tech Support Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

TC-W7960 wifi disconnects, wired fine

Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP : [/COLOR]

I recently purchased a TC-W7960 modem/wifi router to use with my Xfinity service. I've cut the cable cord and am using a streaming service. Unfortunately that service is sporadically affected since my wireless connection drops randomly. Wired connections don't appear to be affected when the wifi drops. I don't actually lose wifi signal but my internet connection is gone. I'll most often have to disconnect and reconnect to get it back stable again. Has anyone else experienced this? I don't see many wifi options that I could tweak to fix this or any firmware update I could apply to address this. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Members QAQ is on a distinguished road
    what about the guest network?
    try to reset it by login to webGUI-advanced-system tools

I am in exactly the same situation as OP. Bought TC-W7960 for Xfinity, worked well in the first 3 months, but now wifi drops randomly.
    I've figured that wifi usually drops ~10 minutes after I start downloading something large, for example a 3GB game.
    Quote Originally Posted by QAQ View Post
    Tried resetting, no luck.

Junior Member jett1965 is on a distinguished road
    [h=2]TC-W7960 sucker loses password. just got it. I guess TP Linkbelt or whatever the outfit is called here saw me coming on this ordeal. Really[/h]broke it off in me from behind. I was all excited too. I got mad and threw it across the room and it hit the wall and now it won't work at all. Some plastic pieces fell
    off but not that much of a mess. I wonder if I damaged it?

I contacted customer support chat and they suggested changing the 2.4 GHz channel from auto to 1, 6 or 11. It been about 30 minutess, no drops...but let's wait and see.

Junior Member Megatek is on a distinguished road
    just changed my WDR4300 to channel 6. which has the same issue of daily random WiFi outages. Please post if your change has helped.

Same problem here

I have the same problem. Both modems doing same problem.

1st modem dropping several times a day. TP link kept blaming it on Comcast. Comcast gave me a loaner modem and it NEVER dropped in two weeks. So TP link sent me a new one.
    2nd modem...same problem. Tried different channels. Won't work with any stability. After speaking to support again, some Chinese lady was supposed to get someone that can communicate in English to call me back. 6 days later....nothing.

Called Amazon and complained and they refunded my credit card. Even after 4 months of going through this horrible, crap hardware.

Junior Member bigd10125 is on a distinguished road
    Background Info
    I have model TC-W7960 V1
    Xfinity Blast speed up to 300 MBS (their fastest available)

Ok I hope I dont sound too negative, but I am being totally fair! Do not buy this product. I have had Xfinity Rep to my house twice, Wifi extremely slow and drops all the time. Wired gets around 120-150MBS on random speed test. WiFi gets between 2-6 MBS Download.
    Xfinity troubleshooting - tried resetting it, speed test, unplug it, etc
    TP Link Troubleshooting - Change channel (1 6 11) Change mode, and change bandwidth (20 & 40) Problem still keeps happening. This thread lets me know I am not crazy. TP Link says Xfinity needs to do a firmware upgrade
    Called Xfinity for firmware upgrade and get transfered back to TP Link (happened several times over several days)
    TP Link says call Xfinity again
    Xfinity says its not their equipment so they wont do firmware upgrade
    TP Link says there is nothing wrong with equipment and Xfinity needs to do firmware upgrade.

Finally I got a replacement from TP link, guess they got tired of me calling. After setting it up I have the same problem and call Xfinity.
    Xfinity informs me that they will no longer support this model in 2018 and that i will need to get a new modem anyways.
    TP Link - No comment.

Update for New modem: No difference in speed (still sucks) It seems i need a firmware upgrade, but no one is willing to provide it to me. I knew Xfinity had shitty customer service, but damn TP Link you too! I use to sell your products and highly recommended them when managing a best buy store. Highly disapointed with their solutions. I would be satisfied if I received a modem that Xfinity will continue to support and that works from the first time I plug it in. TP Link I am willing to give you the benefit but someone please try to help me resolve this issue!

Junior Member babasupport is on a distinguished road
    I have followed the steps very clearly by using the advanced system tools. For other technical support, the user can visit the website by clicking the Canon Support Number

Thumbs up Same problem

Several times a day all wireless devices are unexpectedly dropped and not reconnected, no wired machines are impacted.

I have tried switching channels and configuring the bandwidth to only 20 but nothing seems to impact the problem.

The only thing that appears to fix the issue is resetting the device.

Junior Member ams18 is on a distinguished road

Angry Same - inconsistent wifi, please wait, loading.... 2nd modem from tp-link

I'm about ready to just pay Spectrum to provide the wifi for $5 a month. It is getting tiresome.... Has anyone found out what is causing these problems? A lot of people seem to be having the same issue...

Same problem. Everyday when I get home from work none of my devices will connect to the WIFI without either power cycling the modem, resetting it via the web GUI, or manually changing the channel. I've tried every channel and auto. I typically select my channels based on using a wifi-inspector to see what is being transmitted around me. I've had this modem for about 1.5 years.

just saw this issue for the c12000 and I am having a similar issue on my CR700. Looks like they have an issue with home assistants and casting devices.I did not have an issue until their last software update (saying that I only just bought Amazon Echo's, not sure it its related) http://www.tp-link.com/us/faq-2050.html

Interesting, I did recently add a Vizio TV (hardwired) that supports being cast to. I wonder if that is the source of the problem. But...its hardwired...And I don't use the casting capability. My wifi is just for the laptop and for cellphones to get their data from something other than the tower.