+ Reply to Thread
    Junior Member demlik is on a distinguished road

EAP330 Captive Portal + HTTPS

Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP : [/COLOR]

Hello,

I have setup a WLAN with no-auth captive portal. I have noticed that when client joins network and tries to visit HTTPS page i.e. https://www.google.com the captive portal does not display instead a blank screen is shown. It works fine for HTTP links.

Also, is there a way to change the basic captive portal page? Can I upload my own using SSH or other means?

I am not using controller.

Kind regardsa

eap-110 captive portal not work when internet in off

i setup eap-110 captive portal and when connect from phone a splashpage open automaticaly when internet is on
    bu it not work when internet in off ?

how can fixed it ?

demlik, HTTPS pages will fail because the connection is not permitted, and there is no way to "intercept" or redirect the HTTPS request to the captive portal. The only way the access point would be able to do this is if it could serve a valid certificate for the site the user was attempting to visit (e.g. google.com), which of course it can't or else that'd be a huge security vulnerability!

According to the EAP330 manual, if you're not running a controller the only thing you can do is change the text displayed on the portal page... so no luck uploading your own

Members R1D2 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by paya View Post
    how can fixed it ?
    Paya, rather than hi-jacking any thread related to captive portals to ask the same question over and over again, you should read the answers to your question and give it a try:

http://forum.tp-link.com/showthread....nternet-in-off

Members R1D2 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by DocJones View Post
    The only way the access point would be able to do this is if it could serve a valid certificate for the site the user was attempting to visit (e.g. google.com), which of course it can't or else that'd be a huge security vulnerability!
    Absolutely! HTTPS has been developed not only for encryption of web traffic, but also to make sure that the site answering a request is indeed the site which was originally requested. Thus, no Wireless Captive Portal based on intercepting requests can redirect a HTTPS connection to the portal.

That's the reason why modern operating systems perform a connectivity check using DNS and HTTP requests if connecting to a Captive Portal, which sends a 302 REDIRECT response. Most iOS and Android platforms and also MacOS and Windows will show the portal page automatically after selecting the WiFi if you give them some time to detect it. But this works only with a portal page hosted on an EAP Controller, not in EAP's stand-alone mode.

A drawback of this method is that Google did a bad job implementing the connectivity check in Android since at least Marshmellow: after logging in, the "success" page isn't shown, since Android closes the webview window immediately as soon as connectivity has been established. I filed this bug several times to the Android Bug Tracking System, but they don't care, so Android users do not see the "success" page of Captive Portal systems.
    Last edited by R1D2; 11-06-2017 at 23:38.