Welcome to TP-LINK Tech Support Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    I am surprised, I think it's an important feature too. I do support offsets in AutomationManager (click on my name to see more info if you really need it).

Angry Given the strength of feeling - that is a dreadful response from TP-link support

I suggest the senior engineer tries a single lamp in his living room set to come on at sunset with no other lights being used. It comes on far too late. This is an easy change TP-Link already calculate the time of sunset in your area (and thats the difficult bit) so all they need is to apply an offset + or - 5 10 or 15 minutes if they don't want to give the user full control some can make it 13 minutes or what ever we want it to be. A scheduled time is totally useless unless it is adjusted every week to reflect local sunset times. Come on TP-link get another senior engineer to review this thread.

MikeP_AutomationManager - are there any plans to make on IOS version of your app?

Sunrise/sunset offsets no longer needed

Thanks. I no longer need this feature. I have switched to Smart Things, which, in addition to having robust support for sunrise and sunset offset times, has many other automation capabilities that eclipses TP-Link.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev reid View Post

MikeP_AutomationManager - are there any plans to make on IOS version of your app?

Nope, it's not really necessary. AutomationManager runs as a hub just like SmartThings.

The difference is that the AutomationManager hub is a low end (or even old) upgradeable android device vs a proprietary (and somewhat expensive) Samsung device. SmartThings locks you back into a vendor cloud (owned by Samsung rather than TP Link) vs AutomationManager where you own your account - it runs on your google Drive cloud. When you're an iOS user you tuck your android hub away and access it from any web browser, AutomationManager will sit in the background and run all your automation including offsets from sunrise and sunset.

@wheindl: Which product do you use?

I have moved on to Samsung SmartThings, which supports sunrise/sunset offsets in several different ways.

If you have legacy TP-Link devices (as I do) but are moving on to SmartThings, it's possible (using Stringify) to control TP-Link units indirectly by the SmartThings controller, using a virtual switch linked to the TP-Link switch via Stringify.

Actually if you're happy using vendor clouds you don't need to bother with AutomationManager nor SmartThings now that TP Link is enabled for stringify. I believe stringify supports sunrise/sunset offsets. Probably not the most responsive or reliable 'cause there's 2 clouds in the mix but I imagine it's good enough for this purpose.

With all due respect, I cannot determine why anyone, other than someone living at the Equator, could not see the need for this feature! The whole premise of these types of devices is AUTOMATION and ENERGY SAVINGS! I now own 13 Kasa devices, but without a sunset/sunrise PLUS or MINUS some delta feature, I must regularly update my configuration on these 13 devices to reasonably simulate the change in sunset/sunrise PLUS or MINUS some delta by "hardwiring" times in each Kasa. That does not feel like AUTIOMATION to me. Having recently retired from 35 years in Electrical Engineering, I considered it a duty to provide devices that solved customer's problems, not create more work for them. If the Kasa firmware is written appropriately, the change should be minimal, and the phone app mods should not be overwhelming either. Having read the numerous requests from others users, it is now clear that competitor devices do have this feature. I was about to purchase more Kasa devices, but after reading the trail of requests as well as the response from a "Senior Engineer", I question whether TP-LINK is even serious about supporting these devices. For what it's worth I was the original poster of this request. We still need this feature. I would be happy to discuss this with a Product Manager (or above) if TP-Link does not understand why this feature is needed.

cwdg, I'm completly with you! Wellcome to IoT. But don't complain here, request TP-Link for this feature. Not supporting this for me is an absolutely 'no go' and I can't buy this 'smart' (lol) plug.

You mentioned that other vendors support this feature. Which one?

Really about time this was fixed by TP-Link development - In the mean time I am using Stringify to get the desired results but not happy with TP-links responses on this thread.I have tried other sockets but still find the TP-link to be the best value and working with Stringify gives me the flexibility I need but shame they don't do a motion sensor - does anyone have a motion sensor that works with Stringify so I can solve this final piece of the zigsaw?

I should qualify that - I need a motion sensor that is hub free and works with Stringify. I have hive motion sensor but hive doesn't support Stringify. Every solution has its own set of no goes.

Tipuraneo,

I thought this WAS TP-Link's site. If not they should read it!

To answer your question, there are several vendors mentioned in this thread. One that looks interesting (not mentioned above), is Wemo. It works and smells very similar to Kasa devices, except they also support IFTTT which Kasa has stated they would support (according to other sources), but that has been over a year ago. A colleague that used Kasa devices in the beginning has upgraded to Wemo devices with great satisfaction including user-selectable sunrise/sunset preset & custom offsets and IFTTT. In addition Wemo has a dimmable wall switch. Try Amazon. I have not used a Wemo, but I am about to do so. These are just my opinions; your results may vary. FWIW, Kasa hardware seems to be robust and I am reasonably impressed with the RF range of the their devices.

TP-LINK: If you are listening, another issue Kasa has with the device/app software is an anemic Away Mode.

Well known in the industry is that software is what often hurts/kills projects.

My disclaimer: These are only my opinions; I'm retired; I don't work for anybody.