Welcome to TP-LINK Tech Support Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

PC or browser version of Kasa?

Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP : [/COLOR]

Is there a PC app or a browser web page version of Kasa to control the smart plugs? I have an iPad but if it breaks I will have no device for controlling the plugs.

Smart Plug can only be configured by Kasa, which is a phone App (IOS and Android).
    Why so serious?

Quote Originally Posted by tim.xiang View Post
    Smart Plug can only be configured by Kasa, which is a phone App (IOS and Android).
    The description of the app in the iOS App Store says it is compatible with the iPad, although you can only see the app in the App Store by selecting apps for iPhone.I've ordered the HS100 from Amazon and installed the Kasa app on my iPad -- it starts up OK. If Kasa actually won't work on my iPad I will be returning the HS100 for refund, since I don't have a smart phone, either iPhone or Android, and apparently there is no way to manage the HS100 via a PC or website.When I search for apps in the App Store on iPad it offers just two filters: (1) iPhone only or (2) iPad only. The TP-Link Kasa app shows up **only** with the iPhone-only filter selected.

I can report that the Kasa app does work on my iPad although not perfectly. When setting schedules the portion of the screen where you set the days (S M T W T F) is almost totally covered by the Cancel and Save buttons. Just the very top part of the day buttons is visible. They will respond if you tap that tiny part I finally realized. It would be nice if the default setting was "every day of the week" instead of having to tap seven places.

Junior Member SupportTheSecond is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by dlflannery View Post
    The description of the app in the iOS App Store says it is compatible with the iPad, although you can only see the app in the App Store by selecting apps for iPhone.I've ordered the HS100 from Amazon and installed the Kasa app on my iPad -- it starts up OK. If Kasa actually won't work on my iPad I will be returning the HS100 for refund, since I don't have a smart phone, either iPhone or Android, and apparently there is no way to manage the HS100 via a PC or website.When I search for apps in the App Store on iPad it offers just two filters: (1) iPhone only or (2) iPad only. The TP-Link Kasa app shows up **only** with the iPhone-only filter selected.

I searched everywhere for the iPad version and ended up using a neighbor's (newer then mine) iphone to set up. Disappointing that there is not other options for set up as not everyone has or needs the latest smart phone. The only Kasa for mobile app I was able to find for the iPad was one for the Kansas school board or some such which was crazy because it was named the identical name of the app required here. Definitely was a frustrating experience not to be able to configure from a regular computer and dumb too in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by dlflannery View Post
    Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP : [/COLOR]

Is there a PC app or a browser web page version of Kasa to control the smart plugs? I have an iPad but if it breaks I will have no device for controlling the plugs.
    Hi dlflannery. Note that a browser version of TP-Link Kasa is in the works. I have had a quick chat with R&D and they busy working on it (or in the support rep's words - "They are still struggling with it"). You might want to consider installing Remix OS alongside Windows on your PC as this will allow you to run Android apps in Remix OS on your PC.

Web app or browser version is a must for me and I suspect for many others too!
    Does anyone know the status?

yeah not sure why when they say they are Alexa supported you have only a smart device to setup. Was going to get a bunch for the folks but as they do not have smart phone guess I am going to have to look at Phillips again. Glad I ordered one for myself to check it out first.

Really boggles me that PCs are not coded first as it would seem to be the easiest approach that can be ported over to other devices.

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by Slimrock View Post
    yeah not sure why when they say they are Alexa supported you have only a smart device to setup. Was going to get a bunch for the folks but as they do not have smart phone guess I am going to have to look at Phillips again. Glad I ordered one for myself to check it out first.

Really boggles me that PCs are not coded first as it would seem to be the easiest approach that can be ported over to other devices.

I cannot agree more, on my bedroom setup at home I have a standing desk with 3 monitors up on the wall in front of me here all running Windows 10, and a desk off to the side with a TP-LINK B130 color light on top of my 3d printer. Getting over to my iPhone is actually more of an inconvenience in my setup for regular usage, especially since I just had a screen replaced on my phone a few days ago and I'm going to have to go back to the repair shop and get it re-fixed since the touch sensor is experiencing difficulty.

That's something to be aware of, mobile phones are not always the most reliable devices, or else there wouldn't be an abundance of local phone repair shops. Coupling your home automation into a dependency on a mobile device really needs a web accessible interface as a failsafe if you needed to change color in a pinch. A web-based interface should be absolutely priority above iOS and Android apps. It just makes common sense to have an architecture that allows for pervasiveness in accessing the device. Perhaps I may design and develop an IoT wall "light switch" device to control the lighting by a touchscreen interface, perhaps even custom applications for controlling the light based on sound, animation, visuals, or just a simple code routine in some language like Python or C. Competitors in this industry do have this kind of accessibility as I understand, and it's a very attractive feature that I am confident would help boost visibility for the LB product line among the emerging IoT demographic. It just makes sense.

Just think, I could have the light turn blue when I play a Sega Master System emulator and red when I play a NES emulator, I just gave you a clever way to market your product TP-LINK, you're welcome.

Cortana voice integration from any of my Windows 10 boxes would also be keen. I would gladly help volunteer to write an open source Universal Windows XAML App for it if I knew how to access the device over the network.

The most attractive feature to me of the LB130 over the Phillips Hue that swayed my decision was not having to buy a separate Hub and attach it to my router. I prefer being as "dongle-less" as possible in my wireless setups and only use cat5's when absolutely needed. In this case, all of the wired connections are already being used in the media room over on the other end of the house where the router resides.

As I understand it runs over WiFi and not BT. During the setup process it asks to join my local WiFi. I ran an nmap scan on my local subnet and found the device but nothing to connect to, and doing a scan on it will take it down from the network and I have to power cycle the lightbulb.

Jernest, you can have a look at:

http://itnerd.space/2017/01/22/contr...ug-with-ifttt/
    https://www.softscheck.com/en/revers...tp-link-hs110/
    https://www.hackster.io/machinekoder...hinekit-726145

I was able to program mine to work with IFTTT with relative ease. If that is possible it can be made to work via other channels as well.

Junior Member Martin Underwood is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by pirate191 View Post
    I would go further than that: in my opinion all home devices (programmable switches, programmable lightbulbs etc) should be made with a web browser interface on port 80 of the device's IP address, which allows any browser, on Windows, Android, iOS or Linux, to be able to configure and monitor the device. This is in addition to any proprietary app for specific operating systems: apps should come second, web interface should be the first priority. Glad to hear that a browser version of Kasa is being developed.

It is very frustrating to only be able to control and monitor devices from a smartphone (Android) and not from a Windows PC. In the case of the HS110, it would be nice if the web interface and apps allowed graphs of usage versus time, even if this is via ftp to download the data so far.

Junior Member jelenpubdoboj is on a distinguished road
    I agree that it is very frustrating to only be able to control and monitor devices from a smartphone (Android) and not from a Windows PC.
    In the case of the HS110, it would be nice if the web interface and apps allowed graphs of usage versus time, managed Schedule, Away, Timer even if this is via ftp to download the data so far.

Junior Member danpanderson is on a distinguished road

Oops...

Just got home from attempting to help my friend who has MS get his Alexa to work with an HS100. While I was hopeful this would not be a big deal after reading comments like, "My Alexa worked great with my HS100 right out of the box!", the requirement for the KASA app is not as apparent as it needs to be. I could tell my friend that the developers of the product did not consider the needs of someone who does not have a smartphone in order to use these products, or that sometime in the future there will be a browser-based app to allow him to perform this basic function of enabling these two devices, but I guess I'll just use my own iPhone to do his configuration/setup and thereby perform a product support function that you guys should have either provided or made the understanding of the prereq for another device way, way, way more clearer. This guy just wants to be able to turn a light on the next level of his house on and off for now, which you may scoff at, but in my friend's world, this gives him one more little bit of independence that was taken away from him by his disease. I'll add my vote to the urgency of releasing a browser-based version of the KASA software a.s.a.p. Thanks in advance!

I would really like to see a browser based version of the Kasa app!

Question Any news?

Any news on this?

I have many Windows 10 tablets around that I would like to use to control my TP-LINK modules, but have no way to do this so far.