Welcome to TP-LINK Tech Support Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Since it doesn't look like windows/browser support is coming anytime soon here's one option. Running my app on an old android tablet/phone as a hub adds a web page for controlling your devices from any web browser (or your personal android phone) anywhere, and if one has a few android rather than windows 10 tablets they can be scattered around the house as home automation control stations. You still need a newer handheld to run kasa for the device setup. If you only need off/on there's a free java based application that will probably run on windows 10: https://sites.google.com/site/mppsui...emoserver-java.

I invented a way to do this by looking at the packets transmitted over my WiFi network and figuring out the API calls. There's a whitepaper out there a man wrote about the SmartLink protocol for the light switches, same works for the bulbs as well, just on UDP rather than TCP.

I also have a working C# UWP Windows 10 app (and by proxy IoT Core on RPI3) that I'm debug testing, see picture. I do not plan on releasing without TP-Link's permission, if they've gone to all this trouble to lock down their app from other OSes, which I deem as a bad business practice that deters whole market segments, that doesn't exactly give me a warm fuzzy feeling about releasing any software, especially if unpolished and without permission. I would be more than happy to hand over the source I've got so far to them and let them polish it up for primetime, it's all VS2017 Community.

There's a small caveat about the hardware tech that I will caution you on, it transmits over UDP protocol and it's very unreliable, I get occasional dropped frames. This is also true in the Android and IOS apps as you well know when you notice that sometimes your command to the light gets lost in limbo and you have to redo your button press, it's a firmware problem obviously. It would be a ton better IMO if they'd have wrote it TCP accessible where you can maintain a connection state, also the JSON calls are a little bloated on data transfer IMO. There is a nice transition_duration property that they SHOULD have exposed in the software that lets you control the timing of the color transition in milliseconds, very very cool for animation, if not for the firmware problem. It would be fairly trivial for them to allow TCP connections on the same port, using the same protocol, but also adding a local authentication scheme would do nothing but improve the security of the device. If someone malicious in my neighborhood gets on my WiFi (and I know a guy Kirk in my neighborhood who is a top notch network engineer we talk about iptables and the like often), I don't want my room turned into an episode of the Twilight Zone as a prank. I could see Kirk doing that just for sport. :P

What I really wanted to do was sync this up to some SoundCloud music or YouTube videos, and write my own processor to make a timed light show to accompany audio and video, but I need to brush up on my Linear Algebra and Differential Equations to get where I really want to be. I may have to look at other vendors though to do what I want. On my network I've got 2 LB130's, they both get the same hostname (I'm not a fan of that) but different IPs, I put a static lease on my router to assign a specific DHCP address to both upon connection. It works, but once in a while a light gets hung and I have to reboot the light. The other night I had to reboot a few times to get it to see the network again, very frustrating from a programmatic perspective.

On another note, TP-Link needs to create a wireless dimmer switch that works on a triac for incandescent overhead lighting (I prefer incandescent for overhead lighting as it's healthier ergonomically on the electromagnetic spectrum, and I do a lot of coding for hours on end from my room). I really hated having to go with Insteon over that one since they promote hubs (although I found a whitepaper on Insteon that showed me it transmits on 915Mhz and I picked it up with an RTLSDR, a little GnuRadio work and I could demodulate it).

Name:  LightBulbs.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  40.6 KB

Has anyone tried "Home Remote" in the Windows Store?

Angry

I tried it, but it only works with SMART PLUG modules, not SMART BULBS.

It works fine but wont let me control lights so its useless.

Is Home Remote trustworthy?

Quote Originally Posted by bsgd View Post
    I tried it, but it only works with SMART PLUG modules, not SMART BULBS.

It works fine but wont let me control lights so its useless.
    Was thinking of using this too on my desktop, its asks for TP-Link username and password, i was a little concerned. Should i be?

I wouldn't use an unsecure port like 80. This would allow people with ill intent to sniff your wireless traffic and control the device without your knowledge. I would use 443 to enforce encrypted authentication.

Definitely do not expose a web server for IoT without SSL outside of a private network!
    Anyone who monitors their own network will notice the constant daily probes from around the world looking for just such a vulnerability - open ports without encryption or proper passwords.
    Internally it's less of a risk as they'd need your wifi password. Further encrypting the HTTP traffic there won't make much difference 'cause the TP Link interface isn't encrypted either.

Quote Originally Posted by neily View Post
    Has anyone tried "Home Remote" in the Windows Store?
    I can confirm that the Windows 10 app works with TP-Link hardware (and a few others).

But boy, it is the most basic tool... not very fancy so don't expect anything more than the ability to turn devices on/off.

Junior Member cybermonkee is on a distinguished road

There is PC app... called 'home remote'

There is a PC app called 'home remote' available on the Windows 10 store. I am not sure about sharing my password with it, but I have tested it, and it does work; you can not schedule stuff with it, it just provides a basic switch the devices on / off functionality.

Home Remote in the windows store may in fact work to do basic on / off controls of a tlink plug.

Unfortunately, IT CAN NOT BE USED TO SET-UP A T-LINK PLUG.

I post this (and registered) so other that dont have access to the phone app, for whatever reason won't , think they can set it up with this program.

Since t-link doesnt want to give us a way to control their plugs and other iot devices other than a phone app, I will now be returning all of mine. Enough switches and plugs for a large 3 floor home.

For that many devices picking up a low end android phone (pay-as-you-go, don't bother to activate it) seems like a small additional investment. Less than $30 from Walmart/Bestbuy/Target, etc.

If you were to add my app on that phone you'll be able to continue to use it as a remote server as well so you can control your devices from anywhere using a web browser. Plus a richer set of automation function than comes with Kasa.

Why does Remote Home need you to sign into it? I previously had wemo switches that where 100% local, since the ios/andoid app works local (unless you want remote control), remote home should work the same way.

Hey Mike have you ditched Wemo? If you are the same MikeP from the wemo forums.
    Last edited by johnsnow; 11-26-2017 at 23:29.

Yep, it's me, I'm expanding my repertoire . TP Link's a good match for AutomationManager (as are wemo and hue) as it too has a local API. I'm 100% in agreement, too many companies are harvesting personal information for commercial use even if all you want is local access. Even TP Link does it, you'll find that even if you disable remote access in their app (and many others) the devices are still making outbound calls to their cloud server - to be safe they need to be blocked by the router.

Thanks Mike for the suggestion but I'm not going to spend any extra $ to get these devices working. I think TPlink should just come up with the obvious solution and have a windows app.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP_AutomationManager View Post
    Yep, it's me, I'm expanding my repertoire . TP Link's a good match for AutomationManager (as are wemo and hue) as it too has a local API. I'm 100% in agreement, too many companies are harvesting personal information for commercial use even if all you want is local access. Even TP Link does it, you'll find that even if you disable remote access in their app (and many others) the devices are still making outbound calls to their cloud server - to be safe they need to be blocked by the router.
    Yes I've noticed once blocked the switch starts spamming the network trying to connect to dev's.tplinkcloud.com. Have you been able to stop the spamming by redirecting the traffic to a device on the LAN that can pretend to be the cloud so the spamming stops? It seem like once it connects once it stop trying to connect over and over.

Also guys I'd support Mike and his app, another solution I use is home assistant on a raspberry pi. Supports all sorts of devices including the hs200 and can be used from a browser on any device.
    Last edited by johnsnow; 11-30-2017 at 19:58.