Welcome to TP-LINK Tech Support Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Administrator

Lightbulb TP_PharOS_1.3.3_151112_Beta: fix WPA-PSK and CDP issue with Mikrotik, add management VLAN

Dear forum members

We are launching beta software tests here in this forum. Anyone that is interested in participating in the beta software testing and discussion is welcome.

Please read the Beta Rules before participating the following beta test.

Please evaluate this beta firmware and let us know if you have any suggestion and bug reports.

In order to facilitate information gathering, you are recommended to post any comments about this beta in this thread.

You can also create a new thread for any new issues, comments, or discussions with the prefix [Beta Test] in thread title in the Beta Test sub forum.

Beta Today:

Date 2015/11/16
    Beta firmware TP_PharOS_1.3.3_151112_Beta
    Applicable model_ CPE510, WBS510, CPE210, WBS210, etc
    Language
    English, Russian, Spanish, simplified Chinese. (English, русский, Español, 简体中文)
    File Size
    5.06 MB
    Modifications
    Fix the WPA-PSK and CDP incompatibility issues between Pharos series and MikroTik access points;
    Add management VLAN feature.
    Download link http://static.tp-link.com/resources/...51112_Beta.zip
    File name: pharos-up-ver1-3-3-P3[20151112-rel43609]
    Hash Info: MD5: 3A46FE45A11FBA310239E03539DBE683
    SHA1: 1D6181F5C7B698A741C6991ADE3666D826DA593F
    CRC32: 9BCE28F3

Note:
    -- The software system of TP-LINK Pharos series products is named PharOS.

-- This beta firmware is applicable to CPE510, CPE210, CPE520, CPE220, WBS210, WBS510 and etc.

-- This beta has integrated all the features of the previous beta, so the previous beta will be obsoleted.

Modifications:

1. Fix the WPA-PSK incompatibility issues between Pharos series and MikroTik access points.

In last beta TP_PharOS_1.3.0_150807_Beta, we have fixed a connection incompatibility issue between Pharos series and Mikrotik AP. While we found there still exist a WPA-PSK incompatibility issue between them, the problem is described as below:

Topology:
    MikroTiK AP ))))) ((((( Pharos device -----Host

Note: The Pharos device can be CPE510/CPE210/WBS210/WBS510 and etc that are working in as Client/repeater/bridge mode.

The problem is that when you enable the WDS on Pharos devices, they will not be able to connect to Mikrotik AP with WPA -PSK security mode.

We found that Mikrotik has some special mechanism during WPA four-way handshaking, and this will cause an incompatibility issue with other normal devices including our Pharos CPE/WBS. This beta has added some special modification to cooperate with Mikrotik to fix the incompatibility issue.

Anyone who encounters the above issue is recommended to upgrade their Pharos devices to this beta.

2. Fix the CDP incompatibility issues between Pharos series and MikroTik access points.

In previous firmware, when Pharos devices are connected to Mikrotik AP through wireless with CDP enabled, they are not able to be discovered in Mikrotik’s neighbor list, this beta has fixed this issue.

3. Add management VLAN feature

PharOS has added management VLAN feature in this new beta, it can be set under network menu. VLAN ID, management IP and mask are required.
    Name:  Untitled.png
Views: 0
Size:  41.8 KB

For details about this new management VLAN feature, please refer to below link:
    http://forum.tp-link.com/showthread.php?84173-VLAN-transfer-and-management-VLAN-introduction

Please evaluate this beta and kindly give your feedback.

Thank you.
    http://static.tp-link.com/resources/software/TP_PharOS_1.3.3_151112_Beta.zip
    Last edited by Saber; 09-22-2016 at 03:54.

Hi guys,

1) i can´t upload this new release in the Pharos Control to upgrade my network... i tryed from 2 PCs, 2 different sites and downloads and always has an Invalid message...
    2) has any improvement in wireless?

Thanks!

Have you upgrade the pharos control first?

Hi Zetm, exist another version more new than 1.1.1 of 13/07/15?
    Thanks and regards!

Alessio Garavano
    www.isparg.com.ar

Administrator
    Hi alegara

The upload issue has already been confirmed, we will fixed it in next version, thanks a lot for your feedback.

does this mean that the CPE510's might someday be able to pass vlan tagged frames instead of simply dropping them (which is terrible btw)

http://forum.tp-link.com/showthread.php?84173-VLAN-transfer-and-management-VLAN-introduction

Already read about this, I think for now CPE is able to let all the vlan tagged frames passthrough, what do you mean by 'simply dropping them'
    If correct, I assume you mean the port on CPE will be similar as those on VLAN switch which can identify frame with VLAN tag, is it right?
    Last edited by winstar; 12-02-2015 at 10:38.

The current release firmware simply drops any vlan tagged frames. This was a confirmed limitation by their support team as to why traffic would not flow from one cpe510 to another on any vlan tagged ip. I am using them to connect two physically distant segments of my network that i wanted to keep some traffic separated via vlan tagging but i had to redesign a few things because the 510 would simply drop the frame rather than drop the tag as would be expected in something that did not support vlan tagging.
    So if the beta firmware now passes vlan tags correctly these units just become Much more useful.

So I think you want the WLAN port on CPE support VLAN tagging just as a VLAN switch....

Interested with you topology/VLAN requirement and your 'redesign' things to solve your problem

Originally it was to have 3 vlans (1, 100, 200) for the managment, guest, and business networks. There are 4 ap's (eap120) connected in bldg "a" that assign vlan's per ssid, that are connected to a sg3216 and a er 6020. A similar setup is in bldgs "b" and "c" without the router. Connecting the buildings are 4 cpe510's. The only things that connect wirelessly to the cpe510's is the matching 510 on the other bldg, all other traffic is through the lan port.<br>Originally it was setup as standard with the ports on the switches to the cpe510 being set as trunk tagged, ie passes the tags out of the port and onto the next switch. the issue was all vlan tagged clients (other than 1 because 1 is same as no vlan) in bldgs "B" and "c" could not communicate over the cpe510's to anything other than their own 510. Once the vlan was removed communication throughout the network resumed. This was confirmed as a limitation by tp's support.<br><br>As the only thing at this time we needed to keep separate were the machines in bldg "a" the solution was to remove vlan's from the SSID's, force equipment&nbsp; management to a specific IP subnet and when we go to add the wireless ip security system and the weather clears up we would replace the 510's with something that could route vlans. If this firmware fixes this issue then we won't have to replace until the 100m limit on the lan becomes a real issue.

the issue was all vlan tagged clients (other than 1 because 1 is same as no vlan) in bldgs "B" and "c" could not communicate over the cpe510's to anything other than their own 510. Once the vlan was removed communication throughout the network resumed.
    Why? Since CPE can transfer any VLAN tag frames, why do you say the tagged clients in blds 'b' and 'c' could not communicate over the cpe510's to anything other than their own 510? They should be able to communicate with relative VLAN tagged clients in other building!

Besides, what do you mean by 'Once the vlan was removed communication throughout the network resumed'...couldn't be, or I might have misunderstood with your description.

As the only thing at this time we needed to keep separate were the machines in bldg "a" the solution was to remove vlan's from the SSID's, force equipment&nbsp; management to a specific IP subnet and when we go to add the wireless ip security system and the weather clears up we would replace the 510's with something that could route vlans.
    Studied carefully, while it's still hard for me to get your point...can you draw a draft or sth about this?
    Last edited by winstar; 12-09-2015 at 13:52.

I can get you a drawing tomorrow for now, from TP-link support:
    "Dear Philip,
    Many thanks for your valued reply.

The CPE510 supports untagged data. And for the tagged one, the data drops.
    And if 802.q is set up as untagged vlan, CPE510 can work on the moment. If tagged, it just has no function related to it here."

if you have 2 cpe510's (ap and client) to pass data and that data is tagged with a vlan assignment then the data simply gets dropped, no transmission occurs, period. This is with the release firmware.

Actually all the VLAN data will passthrough between two CPE510, the WLAN port is like a trunk port on switch, you can have a try.

Refer to: http://forum.tp-link.com/showthread....N-introduction
    Both VLAN1 and VLAN2 can be transfered between AP and client.
    Name:  1.PNG
Views: 0
Size:  58.3 KB

Yes, NOW it will. But with the non-beta firmware it would not.

No news? no more features? no more beta versions? should be good to test more frequently... like with routerOS
    Thanks and regards!

Alessio Garavano
    www.isparg.com.ar