Welcome to TP-LINK Tech Support Forum

Poll: Do you find this article helpful?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    hello i have the same problem as you did you resolve it ?

i used a serial connection but there is nothing there just keep saying incorrect file and error writing

that's my serial output

▒[?▒5h▒P-LINK SafeLoade▒ (▒uild time: Jun 1▒ 2▒15 - 09:49:53)
    CP▒: ▒60MHz AHB: 225MH▒ D▒R: 64MB
    Performing L▒D ▒heck.. PASS
    Press CTRL+B t▒ e▒te▒ SafeLoader: 1
    ▒Flash Device ID:▒Un▒nown(0x4017)
    Da▒a ▒lash init failed▒
    open user-co▒fi▒ failed.
    open u▒er▒config failed.

enet1 port3 u▒

TF▒P ▒erver address is▒19▒.168.0.100; our ▒dd▒ess is 192.168.0▒25▒
    Get filename '▒ec▒very.bin'.
    ###########################▒######▒###▒####▒###▒## ###########▒###
    ######▒####▒#######▒############
    ▒one.
    Bytes tran▒fe▒red = 4936747, 3▒6 ▒bytes/sec
    In▒orrect File.
    Wr▒tt▒ng▒error.
    ##War▒in▒: File is uniden▒ia▒le. Try download▒ng▒

TFTP server a▒dr▒ss is 192.168.0.▒00▒ our address is ▒92▒16▒.0.254
    Get file▒am▒ 'vmlinuz'.

TFTP error: Sta▒ti▒g again.
    ##ERROR: Can't d▒wn▒oad image.
    Inpu▒ P▒ssword:

please help

I'm not sure why you all mess around with Windows. Most problems I read about - not only in this thread, but in the whole forum - are caused by Windows, not the TP-Link gear.

Here is how to recover your CPE using a UNIX-like system - in this case an old MacBook running OS X - if you are already at the point where you have a serial console in place. For Linux (and theoretically for Windows) the steps are identical:

Set up a TFTP server and place the firmware in a directory accessible for download with tftp (you can try wether it works using the tftp client running on the local or another computer). The name of the firmware file can be anything, but recovery.bin is short enough to not have to type too much).

Connect to the CPE's serial console and boot the device. This is how it should look:

TP-LINK SafeLoader (Build time: Jan 14 2015 - 11:01:05)
    CPU: 560MHz AHB: 225MHz DDR: 64MB
    Performing LED check.. PASS
    Press CTRL+B to enter SafeLoader: 1

If garbage appears your serial settings are wrong. Use 115200 bps 8N1.

When the message Press CTRL+B to enter SafeLoader: 1 appears, press CTRL-B to enter the SafeLoader's menu (be quick, you have to press it during a 1 second time window). You will be asked for the passwort next:

Input Password:

Type admin and RETURN. The following menu will appear:

========= <SafeLoader Main Menu> =========
    <1> Boot
    <2> Upgrade Firmware ->
    <3> Backup User Configuration ->
    <4> Restore User Configuration ->
    <5> Set Password ->
    <6> Reboot
    ==========================================
    Enter your choice(1-6):

Type "2" to enter the Upgrade menu:

========= <Upgrade Firmware Menu> =========
    <1> Upgrade from TFTP Server
    <2> Upgrade over Serial
    <3> Return to Main Menu
    ===========================================
    Enter your choice(1-3):

Type "1" to enter the menu for TFTP upgrade method:

Network Configuration
    DHCP Enable
    IP Address : ___.___.___.___
    Subnet Mask : ___.___.___.___
    Def. Gateway : ___.___.___.___

TFTP Serv. IP: 192.168. 1. 2

OK Cancel

Cursor is on Enable. Press the space bar to change to Disable:

Network Configuration
    DHCP Disable
    IP Address : 192.168. 1.199
    Subnet Mask : 255.255.255. 0
    Def. Gateway : 192.168. 1. 1

TFTP Serv. IP: 192.168. 1. 2

OK Cancel

Press TAB to change input position. Enter correct values for your subnet. If using DHCP Enable, specify the IP of the TFTP server at least. But I always recommend to use static IP settings for reasons I won't repeat here.

Then change cursor to OK and press RETURN:

Input Filename:

Now enter the name of the firmware file, e.g. recovery.bin.

Upgrade from TFTP server, please wait...

24%

Wait until you see the message:

Upgrade successfully.
    Press any key to return!

Press the any key if you have an any key on your keyboard. I use the space bar instead

Done. Return to main menu (enter "3"), boot the device (enter "1"):

Warnning!

Quit SafeLoader now?
    Input 'yes' to confirm:

This message is for Windows users, they are used to see such warnings and whistles all the time. Input "yes" if you are sure you would like to boot now. There are not many choices here.

But don't panic: the yes answer will not be echoed, although everything is still o.k.

And here we are:

Allocated memory for elf segment ok: addr: 0x80260000, size 0x4cddc0
    Loading .text @ 0x80261030 (4848 bytes)
    Loading .rodata.str1.4 @ 0x80262320 (212 bytes)
    Loading .data @ 0x80262400 (825765 bytes)
    Clearing .bss @ 0x8032bdb0 (4202512 bytes)

Starting kernel

Booting Atheros AR934x
    Linux version 2.6.31 (jenkins@sohoiapbuild) (gcc version 4.3.3 (GCC) ) #1 PREEMPT Tue Jul 5 10:43:05 CST 2016
    flash_size passed from bootloader = 0
    CPU revision is: 0001974c (MIPS 74Kc)
    ath_sys_frequency: cpu srif ddr srif cpu 560 ddr 450 ahb 225
    Determined physical RAM map:
    memory: 02000000 @ 00000000 (usable)
    User-defined physical RAM map:
    memory: 04000000 @ 00000000 (usable)
    Zone PFN ranges:
    Normal 0x00000000 -> 0x00004000
    Movable zone start PFN for each node
    early_node_map[1] active PFN ranges
    0: 0x00000000 -> 0x00004000
    Built 1 zonelists in Zone order, mobility grouping on. Total pages: 16256
    Kernel command line: console=ttyS0,115200 root=31:04 rootfstype=squashfs init=/init mtdparts=ath-nor0:128k(u-boot),64k(pation-table),64k(product-info),1536k(kernel),6144k(rootfs),192k(config),64k (ART) mem=64M
    PID hash table entries: 256 (order: 8, 1024 bytes)
    Dentry cache hash table entries: 8192 (order: 3, 32768 bytes)
    Inode-cache hash table entries: 4096 (order: 2, 16384 bytes)
    Primary instruction cache 64kB, VIPT, 4-way, linesize 32 bytes.
    Primary data cache 32kB, 4-way, VIPT, cache aliases, linesize 32 bytes
    Writing ErrCtl register=00000000
    Readback ErrCtl register=00000000
    Memory: 62388k/65536k available (1836k kernel code, 3080k reserved, 476k data, 116k init, 0k highmem)
    Hierarchical RCU implementation.

and so on ...

Change IP settings to the 192.168.0.0 subnet, load the web UI at 192.168.0.254 and check wether everything worked. For me, it did work.

Hi,
    no, the problem seems unresolvable. My issue is NOT an issue with Windows. Please note - the garbage output in the console is most probably caused by one of these reasons:
    1. Wrong connection settings
    2. Bad USB-TTL adapter
    3. Driver incompatibility between your USB-TTL adapter and OS. Note here Windows 10 and Windows 7 are not perfectly compatible - so an adapter with Win7 driver might cause this output on Win10.

What R1D2 writes is what should happen. However, this does not always happen.
    E.g. I have 2 devices - one bricked and one working. NEITHER can access a boot menu or boot in any way with the serial attached. Regardless of OS, regardless of terminal used. Tried it with 2 different USB-TTLs on Win10, Win7, Ubuntu and MacOS. The mere presence of the serial cables prevents them from booting - note this is NOT your case. In my case nothing happens after the CTRL+B message appears. No matter whether I press anything or not. They just stays there forever.

The only difference in the 4 lines I see from the expected out is:
    Expected: CPU: 560MHz AHB: 225MHz DDR: 64MB
    I get: CPU: 560MHz AHB: 225MHz DDR: 8MB

I would seem I have some weird CPE version with a weird SafeLoader.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmytaker View Post
    E.g. I have 2 devices - one bricked and one working. NEITHER can access a boot menu or boot in any way with the serial attached.
    This can happen if the SafeLoader has been destroyed (e.g. by writing into the wrong MTD partition when using OpenWRT) - then there is no change to restore it using the serial console. To be honest, if I would know that the SafeLoader of my CPE is bricked, I would buy a new CPE rather than trying to repair a defective one, given that its price is under 40€ currently. But for your 2nd device: if it is working, why can't you restore the firmware through the web UI?

Anyway, plugging in serial cables into the console port does not change the behavior of soft- or hardware. I have used console ports on some hundreds of UNIX-like devices of any kind in last 35 years and never ever had a problem where the "presence" or connection to the console would cause a system to malfunction. The console port is THE port to communicate with the primary boot loader on every UNIX-like system and it needs to be functional even to install the operating system itself as well as to start any secondary boot loader manually.

As for mixawy0's problem I suspect a broken TFTP setup/software, not the SafeLoader. Exactly this:

Note here Windows 10 and Windows 7 are not perfectly compatible
    is one of the reasons I don't recommend Windows to use neither as a TFTP host nor as a system for software development or testbed in general!

Wether a broken TFTPD or a wrong TFTP setup is the cause for his/her problem, could be found out much easier by using the SafeLoader's upgrade function as described in my previous post instead of using the automatic recovery procedure.
    Last edited by R1D2; 04-16-2017 at 19:28.

Quote Originally Posted by R1D2 View Post
    This can happen if the SafeLoader has been destroyed (e.g. by writing into the wrong MTD partition when using OpenWRT) - then there is no change to restore it using the serial console. To be honest, if I would know that the SafeLoader of my CPE is bricked, I would buy a new CPE rather than trying to repair a defective one, given that its price is under 40 currently. But for your 2nd device: if it is working, why can't you restore the firmware through the web UI?
    Thank you for your response actually i did a worng flash to revert to tp link original firmware , i used mtd -r write firmware without cutting off bootloader , i think that i can make it run again flashing the nor chip using programmer sinse its a 25q64 chip, right what do you think.Thank you

i already ordered a programmer ezp2013 from aliexpress and i want to give it a try, the only thing that i cant find the datasheet for the flash chip on the cpe.
    its a 25Q64CSI0

Name:  photo_2017-04-16_22-20-05.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  68.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by mixawy0 View Post
    Thank you for your response actually i did a worng flash to revert to tp link original firmware , i used mtd -r write firmware without cutting off bootloader , i think that i can make it run again flashing the nor chip using programmer sinse its a 25q64 chip, right what do you think.Thank you
    AFAIK the PharOS firmware does not contain the primary boot loader. The strings command reveals following partition offsets in PharOS firmware:

fwup-ptn partition-table base 0x00800 size 0x00800
    fwup-ptn os-image base 0x01000 size 0xcbf29
    fwup-ptn soft-version base 0xccf29 size 0x00015
    fwup-ptn support-list base 0xccf3e size 0x0063c
    fwup-ptn file-system base 0xcd57a size 0x3e4001

The partition-table in CPE's flash chip starts at 0x20000:

partition fs-uboot base 0x00000 size 0x20000
    partition partition-table base 0x20000 size 0x02000

If you destroyed the boot loader, it can't be easily restored IMHO.

Datasheet lists no SI version for 25Q64C, only VSI: https://www.winbond.com/resource-fil...cv_revh_052214[2].pdf
    Last edited by R1D2; 04-16-2017 at 20:46.

Hi,
    well my situation is the following:
    1. Both devices flashed to OpenWRT and then upgraded to LEDE. Both working.
    2. Attempts to go back to PharOS using the WebGUI - impossible - would not flash the original firmware.
    3. Attempt to go back to PharOS on 1st device using mtd write firmware. - Result device bricked.
    4. Began trying tftp recovery on the bricked device - after transfer of recovery.bin, asks for vmlinuz. I could not feed it a vmlinuz it would accept.
    5. Began trying the serial connection on the bricked device - nothing after the prompt for CTRL+B.
    6. Opened the working (with LEDE) and tried serial connection to check whether I broke the SafeLoader - same behavior - nothing after prompt for CTRL+B. However, it does boot and work without the serial cable attached.
    7. Tried with only the Tx cable attached - same (nothing happening after prompt).
    8. Bought a different brand USB-TTL - same (nothing happening after prompt).

The only reason I keep trying is because I am curious. I already bought 2 new devices that I installed and use with PharOS and MAXtream.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmytaker View Post
    4. Began trying tftp recovery on the bricked device - after transfer of recovery.bin, asks for vmlinuz. I could not feed it a vmlinuz it would accept.
    Seems to me that OpenWRT changed something in the environment of the SafeLoader, which breaks the standard recovery mode. Also, partition layout table in OpenWRT is missing two of TP-Link's current partition layout table entries in HW version 1.1 and greater. But I did not dig into this stuff, since I need to stay with PharOS anyway.
    Last edited by R1D2; 04-16-2017 at 21:45.

This sure seems to be the only plausible explanation for the situation. However, it is not a solution. If somebody else has a suggestion - please. @mixawy0 - please post your experience with this ezp2013. I have never tried something like that, but as I said - I am curious and if you manage to reflash the chip this way, I might go ahead and buy that kit as well.

I give it a openwrt as a vmlinuz and he took it but it expecting a init for the kernel ,can we do that from console , how?

can i get a flash dump for the device ?