+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

TP PharOS 1.2.1 on CPE510 - Max Transmit Power is 23 dBm, not 27 dBm

Region : Others

Model :

Hardware Version : Not Clear

Firmware Version : TP PharOS 1.2.1

ISP :

After update my CPE510 and CPE 210 from 1.1.0 to 1.2.1, Maximum Transmit Power in Test mode on CPE510 is reduced from 27 dBm to 23 dBm, on CPE210 is unchanged (27 dBm).

Administrator tplink has disabled reputation
    Hi @thaischumi

We have modified the display value of 5GHz band in PharOS.

In firmware older than TP_PharOS 1.2.1 the maximum transmission power is displayed as 27dbm, which is the maximum peak value of CPE510 in FCC certification.
    While the maximum peak power is 27dbm, the corresponding maximum average output power is 23dbm.

Now in the new firmware
    TP_PharOS 1.2.1, the display value indicates the maximum average output power.

Both peak value and average value are correct. While the maximum display value is changed to 23dbm, the actual output power of the product is still the same as in the old firmware.

For example, in the old firmware if we choose the display value 27dbm, it means the peak power is 27dbm while average power is 23dbm. In
    TP_PharOS 1.2.1 and future firmware, if we choose the display value 23dbm, the effect is totally the same, which still means the peak power is 27dbm while average power is 23dbm.

As this thread is common topic rather than beta topic, it is now moved to the forum outdoor Wi-Fi.

Oh thanks, so on CPE210 is showing 27dBm, it is peak or average power?

Quote Originally Posted by tplink View Post
    TP_PharOS 1.2.1 and future firmware, if we choose the display value 23dbm, the effect is totally the same, which still means the peak power is 27dbm while average power is 23dbm
    Quote Originally Posted by thaischumi View Post
    @thaischumi the answer is right there
    means the peak power is 27dbm while average power is 23dbm

Quote Originally Posted by thaischumi View Post
    @thaischumi @danymarc

Sorry for the delay. On CPE210 (2.4Ghz) it means the average value is 27dbm as it always does.
    In short words, only the 5GHz CPE510 is affected with this firmware update.

In all later firmware the value means the average power.

Kindly be aware of the above info.

Best Regards
    Admin

Bad, very very bad...

But...Are we crazy???

I'm sorry, but the story of the average power is not a good story to tell at all.

I bought your product because on the tech specs is said that the maximum output power is 27dbm. You clearly downgraded the output power in new firmware only for a marketing matter!
    Please, don't fool your customers with stupid staments.

You made a lot of mistakes with the firmware; In my first release (I don't remember the version number) even TEST_MODE was absent! So, after an upgrade, I found the 27dbm is missing...Incredible!

You speak about average power? OK, the CPE510 is claim to be 27dbm AVERAGE power. NOT 23!
    You deceived us! I don't care if you plan to release a CPE520 (as mentioned on the manual) with more output power...I paid for a CPE510 with 27 dbm output power, and I want this feature, even in new firmwares!

So, if you want to show that you are a serious company, restore this feature as soon as you can with a new firmware upgrade! Otherwise you have to change EVERYWHERE the tech specs info for this product, and face all the users that want to be refunded, like me.

Never again a TP-Link product. false statements are too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by turisystem View Post
    So, if you want to show that you are a serious company, restore this feature as soon as you can with a new firmware upgrade!
    If you want to (see) the 27dbm back, downgrade to first firmware, if you don't have it, PM

Quote Originally Posted by danymarc View Post
    If you want to (see) the 27dbm back, downgrade to first firmware, if you don't have it, PM
    See? oh, great... So, you think the unit is capable of only 23 dbm average output power. A loss of just 300mW in comparison with the tech specs.
    Anyway, it's not possible to downgrade. I tryed flashing a previous firmware and the interface returns a error.

Actually there is no other difference on transmit power between the older firmware and the newest but the show value. So I think it does little influence to you, right? Or you meet some question as a result of the latest firmware?
    For TP-LINK maybe using 27dBm is a better way for marketing but anyway we couldn't said that they are cheating us as they never state which power(peak or average) does 27dBm means.
    I feel unhappy at first like you. But when I found that I can still use the devices normally and TP-LINK has no idea to improve the power because the law restricts it, I don't blame it in this issue any more.
    Last edited by stupidbird; 01-04-2016 at 08:01.

I tryed flashing a previous firmware and the interface returns a error.
    use Recovery mode here http://forum.tp-link.com/showthread....l=1#post163622
    I have done it many times, the only downside, if you read the whole thread, in my case I can only use Recovery method with Win 7, never had luck with Win 10 or Win XP

First, thanks to all of you for your replies.
    If the output power is not affected by the firmware version, there is no reason for try a downgrade. It's only a false value displayed, right?

So, in the end the only sadness is that the CPE510...Was never able to reach the 27dbm as declared on the first time.

I agree with the fact that the product is still a good product, in almost every way. but I bought it just for the great output power in
    combination with the 13dbi antenna gain. If TP-Link would have been honest since the first day, maybe I would have chosen another brand,
    like Ubiquiti or Alpha.

Just to tell you, yesterday I had the opportunity to see a CPE510 bought by a friend:
    the version is 1.1, almost identical with the 1.0; even the firmware is the version 1.3.0 (If I remember correctly) that miss
    the TEST_MODE, the same version I found on my 1.0. The differences from version 1.0 to 1.1, are only on the box: the color is changed from green to blue, and the specs regarding the output power were removed in version 1.1!

Maybe most people don't care about the 27dbm, and even don't care about the "little" error on the tech specs,
    but I care...Because we are talking about of a loss more than twice the power. And, instead of reading an official answer saying something like "Sorry, we made a mistake", I saw only evident justification to hide the error. And, still no official answer.

That's all...Maybe I exaggerated, But this is what I think about this story.

And, after your replies and after seeing the CPE510 1.1, it is clear that I have to keep it just as it is! =D

Thanks TP-Link!
    Last edited by turisystem; 01-05-2016 at 13:50.

If the output power is not affected by the firmware version, there is no reason for try a downgrade
    510 was never a 27 dBm device, you can check that fact. how. if you are able to use Recovery tool, try it, if not stop reading, and wish you a good year 2016.
    Flash OpenWrt on 510, get the .Bin from here http://downloads.openwrt.org/chaos_c...r71xx/generic/ you will see it reads 23 never readed 27 on third party firmware
    I dont recommend using OpenWrt on Pharos line, its buggy, if you like flaws and are interested, flash a Snapshot from Trunk, (there is no web interface, LuCi) you will have to download via pkts.and all before LuCi will have to be done via CLI, use only upper channels, lower ones are buggy.
    My recommendation, stay in Stock, Pharos Control Utility has a lot of features, third party firmware does not have a utility for administration of Pharos line.
    here http://www.tp-link.com/resources/sof...rol_v1.1.1.zip

Where did you find that TEST_MODE miss? I've advised my friends to buy CPE510 V1.1 and want to confirm this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by stupidbird View Post
    Where did you find that TEST_MODE miss? I've advised my friends to buy CPE510 V1.1 and want to confirm this issue.
    @bird, he posted on #12 (If I remember correctly) that miss