Thread: Port forwarding

Red face Port forwarding

Region : Others

Model : TD-W9980

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version : 0.6.0 1.10 v0021.0 Build 141215 Rel.41342n

ISP :
    [SOLVED]

Model Number is 9980 (don't know why it is not in drop down...)

I have a problem with port forwarding configuration.
    I have a NAS with static IP and following configuration:

Forwarding -> Virtual Server -> Add new
    Service port is external port where the external connection to NAS configured
    IP address = static IP of NAS
    Internal port left empty
    Protocol ALL
    Status ENABLED
    Common service port unselected

When I try to check whether external port is open or try to connect to NAS I am rejected while from internal connection by internal IP with same port connection established.

Previously I was on other router with same configuration and all this worked

What is incorrect and how should I fix this port forwarding?

Thank you in advance,
    Last edited by tplink; 05-27-2015 at 02:12. Reason: solved

Upgrade the latest firmware, reconfigure it and test if it works.
    http://www.tp-link.com/en/download/TD-W9980_V1.html#Firmware

If it doesn't work, answer my following questions.
    W9980 is working as a modem router or a router(there is another modem working with it)? WAN IP on W9980 is public, right?

When I try to check whether external port is open or try to connect to NAS I am rejected
    Did you check it remotely or locally with http://WAN IP: port?

Last edited by Tony Seaford; 05-26-2015 at 01:21.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Seaford View Post
    http://www.tp-link.com/en/download/TD-W9980_V1.html#Firmware
    Updated - same problem

If it doesn't work, answer my following questions.
    W9980 is working as a modem router or a router(there is another modem working with it)? WAN IP on W9980 is public, right?
    It is a modem + router. No more network devices in chain.
    How I check whether the WAN IP is public?

When I try to check whether external port is open or try to connect to NAS I am rejected
    Did you check it remotely or locally with http://WAN IP: port?

Upgrade the latest firmware

I try to access the NAS by nameort or external iport from computer in same LAN or from phone by 3G as totally external - same result...
    I have a "name" assigned to external IP by Synology service. In MyDS section I see that status of server is "Normal" e.g. connected and it shows the external IP.
    This external IP is differ than one I see in ipconfig from cmd on PPP adapter though...

Access by internal ip: port is working...

Private IP Range: 10.0.0.0—10.255.255.255; 172.16.0.0—172.31.255.255; 192.168.0.0—192.168.255.255
    How about your WAN IP? Is it static or dynamic?

This external IP is differ than one I see in ipconfig from cmd on PPP adapter though...
    What's the difference?

What's the static IP including Default Gateway and DNS configured on your NAS?

WAN IP is dynamic but rearly changed since router (actually modem) is always ON
    Difference that what I see in router in CMD is local 10.x.x.x range (remember that in the past it was external one) and from Synology I see the external one (in 5.x.x.x range)
    Default Gateway and DNS are 192.168.1.1 on NAS and local static IP is 192.168.1.x

Seems I understand what happened - internet provider changed the configuration and instead of external IP I get IP for their internal network.
    So I need to speak with them to get port forwarding from real external IP to my WAN and from WAN to NAS....

Quote Originally Posted by gav View Post
    Seems I understand what happened - internet provider changed the configuration and instead of external IP I get IP for their internal network.
    So I need to speak with them to get port forwarding from real external IP to my WAN and from WAN to NAS....
    Your ISP should be helpful to solve the problem. Good luck.

Your ISP should be helpful to solve the problem. Good luck.
    Yep you are right!!

Many thanks - if not your questions will never pay attention to WAN IP changed to local...
    One short conversation and they return me to get external IP directly and... as expected all port forwarding configured (actually correctly) start working and I get my external connection to NAS!!

Thanks a LOT!

Previously I was on other router with same configuration and all this worked

Model of your router?
    Lights are blinking normally, right? If you are not sure, refer to its user guide which can be found on TP-LINK website.
    Did you try to reset and reconfigure it?
    write my assignment at assignmentpoint.co.uk

If you have your own router but your modem is a Modem/Router then you need to set port forwarding in Modem/Router or set your Modem/Router as a bridge so YOUR router will dish out IP's