Welcome to TP-LINK Tech Support Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Can someone post their settings/config file for Archer c7 v2 as an AP?

Region : UnitedStates

Model : Archer C7

Hardware Version : Not Clear

Firmware Version : vers 2

ISP : FIOS

I have reset and changed everything setting the article on this site says to do and the Archer C7 version2.x refuses to work.

If someone could post their working settings file that would be awesome.

Members Mavis is on a distinguished road
    No configuration file here but it is quite simple to set it up as an access point.
    What have you done by following the instruction?
    Did you disable DHCP? What's the IP address of the main router and C7?
    Are you using the same SSID and password for them or different ones?

same issue

Archer C7 v2
    3.14.1 Build 141110 Rel.44276n

I have a large number of Routers/AP's and this is the first one that has given me any issues. I typically do not even have to refer to whatever "guide" is out there (in this case I followed http://www.tp-link.com/en/article/?faqid=417) to no avail. I normally turn on AP mode if available or just disable the WAN port and configure the router as such (EX:: UTM : 192.168.1.1 and TP-LINK 192.168.1.2). I disable DHCP, Firewall, NAT, etc... (in order, very often I just have to disable DHCP occasionally some other feature). I have 4 routers as AP's configured and even my DD-WRT routers work fine (which can be a process).

My issue is that my devices can connect/associate (confirmed) with the C7 but I have no internet access from those devices. It seems to not want to route out the LAN and only the WAN (which is not connected). Using the diagnostic tools I can't ping anything on the local network or the internet. I have tried this with the same SSID/password and different SSID and/or password.

I am really amazed this router doesn't have a simple "use as AP" feature as it doesn't seem to want to route through the lan port.

Since you are very experienced in configuring access points, maybe your C7 is a faulty unit.
    Hard reset it and try one more time. If it is the same, replace it under warranty.

I'm going to give that a try when I get home, last night I tried putting the C7 on a different network (ex: 192.168.2.1) and then setting up static routes and while it works I still got nothing. I did this type of thing for my WD Mynet 900 (which has notoriously poor support for AP mode) and it works there. Unfortunately I've had my C7 for 3-4 months not sure if the warranty will cover it for that long but I can try.

Angry Setting up as an AP

I also have the same issue, I can't seem to get the archer c7 to configure itself as an AP. I have a Roku device that requires to be on the same subnet as my plex media server. I would have thought this was a basic wireless router feature!Is there an update pending that will provide this?

Members radvd is on a distinguished road

Lightbulb

It is quite simple and has nothing to do with routes...I've set it up a dozen times...

The following picture should be clear enough. The key point is that the C7 should be connected to the main router LAN-to-LAN.

Name:  AP mode.png
Views: 0
Size:  11.4 KB
    Hardware topology:
    Internet-----------wan:mainrouter:lan-----------lan:TPLINKrouter ))))) ((((( client devices

Settings on the TP-LINK router:
    1. Set a static LAN IP which is different from the main router's to avoid conflict.
    2. Leave the WAN port empty (disconnect any cables)
    3. Disable DHCP server because client devices should obtain IP addresses from the main router.

BTW: Since the WAN port is already left empty, there is no need to disable NAT.
    Last edited by radvd; 03-13-2015 at 00:33.

NAT is not actually "just" NAT...

Actually, I was having the same issue and re-enabling NAT "fixed" things, though it should not. My working theory is that NAT is actually NAT+basic switch features as well. Without it being enabled, the ArcherC7 will _not_ function as a stand-alone AP...at least in my case.

Cheers!

Ura

Admin login in this mode?

Quote Originally Posted by radvd View Post
    It is quite simple and has nothing to do with routes...I've set it up a dozen times...

The following picture should be clear enough. The key point is that the C7 should be connected to the main router LAN-to-LAN.

Attachment 2031
    Hardware topology:
    Internet-----------wan:mainrouter:lan-----------lan:TPLINKrouter ))))) ((((( client devices

Settings on the TP-LINK router:
    1. Set a static LAN IP which is different from the main router's to avoid conflict.
    2. Leave the WAN port empty (disconnect any cables)
    3. Disable DHCP server because client devices should obtain IP addresses from the main router.

BTW: Since the WAN port is already left empty, there is no need to disable NAT.
    This is what I eventually came up with. It seems to work for the most part, in that machines can connect to either the main or the Archer C7 (ethernet or wireless), but I can't seem to login to the Archer C7 anymore. I can see the IP from the main router's admin/settings pages, but I can't even ping the Archer. Any ideas if this is expected, or some aspect that I overlooked?

Thank you.

what is the IP address of the main router and the C7? (You should have changed the IP of C7 before, right?)

Make sure the C7 is in the same subnet with your main router. For example, if your main router is 192.168.1.1/255.255.2555.0, the C7 should be 192.168.1.2/255.255.255.0

Quote Originally Posted by coca koala View Post
    what is the IP address of the main router and the C7? (You should have changed the IP of C7 before, right?)

Make sure the C7 is in the same subnet with your main router. For example, if your main router is 192.168.1.1/255.255.2555.0, the C7 should be 192.168.1.2/255.255.255.0
    Sorry to hijack, but I am having a similar issue. Which IP should be on the same subnet as the main router: the WAN or the LAN? The Archer will not let you have both the WAN and the LAN on the same subnet ("Error code: 5008 WAN IP address and LAN IP address cannot be in a same subnet. Please input another IP address."). If the WAN is not plugged in, does it matter what IP/subnet it is set to?

Thanks!

EDIT: It works:
    1. I did a factory reset
    2. I did not setup the WAN (or plug the WAN in)
    3. I set up the LAN with the IP in the same subnet as the main router
    4. I setup MAC filtering, NAT enable, AES, etc
    5. Disable DHCP - last
    6 Final reboot

I can login to the router from both sides of the router (using the LAN IP address).
    Last edited by canclan; 04-03-2015 at 22:03.

Members radvd is on a distinguished road
    @canclan

Glad to hear it helps!

Thanks!

Many thanks for this post! I was able to get my Archer C9 up and running just fine. One thing I was trying to do after getting this setup was port out my C9 for web management. It have 255.255.255.255 set so any can manage it remotely, and an IP of 8089 set in the C9, and forwarded from my Linksys E2500 to the C9 IP of 192.168.1.10. I host my personal website from my Synology DiskStation, so I have a lot of experience with porting out items. I'm just afraid that I may have missed something during this process. One thing I have noticed is that after changing the default Web Management Port, any local modifications done to the C9 automatically come up under the address of http://192.168.1.10:8089. Looks like this change was recognized internally and not externally. Thanks again! -Phil

Standalone AP with Guest Network Enabled but no local network access preferred

Anyone knows if the Archer c7 v2 can be configured as a standalone AP with Guest Network enable but does not allow guest to communicate with the local network? The Archer c7 v2 is configured fine as a standalone AP. However, I would like to enable Guest Network feature with guest unable to communiate with local network. Guest can connect to the AP. However, it is not able to obtain an IP address. Hence, no Internet access.