Welcome to TP-LINK Tech Support Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Well , I can tell you it is a known problem. I have the same issue. When i use 2 nodes, it works for a while, but after that it stops assigning Ip adreses .Giving your device that is connected through WiFi a fixed IP adress won't work either. There simply is no connection. One other strange thing is, the moment I add a third node , it stops directly with providing IP adresses from the router. I tested with Fritzbox as WPS host , Netgear as WPS host , Different DHCP server in the network. Nothing helps.

I called TP link support. They admitted there is a problem. No new firmware expected.

So TP link, please take this serious and solve the issue.

My solution.....I hope

I had similar problems, these are my steps:

My DLink DWR-923 router’s DHCP server hands out IP addresses from 192.168.0.100 upwards.

I have set fixed IP 192.168.0.7 for my WLAN MAC labeled on backside on WPA4220.

Reserved this IP address in the router’s DHCP reservation section.

It seems to be working correct now. Conclusion: “The easy way Plug & Play” is not working in my house.
    Last edited by Darre; 09-08-2015 at 11:01.

Hi.

I've just read the hole thread and I'm really disappointed with TP-Link's attitude.

I've bought TL-WPA4220KIT and I'm facing some problems:
    - I only can access to web interface when I unplug the smallest device (in that case I lost IP 95.95.xx.xx to 169.xxx.xxx.xxx)
    - The local IP address is never saved, whatever the IP address I write
    - The DHCP server is not working with my desktop's ethernet interface, either manual IP... so, it is not working for their main purpose.

I'm journalist at a popular portuguese tech website and I'm really motivated to write an article about TP-Link devices, with very bad feedback for sure.

Admin, please take a look on my email's domain and think if it worth the effort to fix all the issues stated in this thread.

Thread: TL-WPA4220KIT and wifi extension problems: wrong ip-range - Solved

I had similar issues and I read this thread 4 times to find the solution,It all started when I factory reset the adapters due to some reason. No matter what i do i always end up with the loopback range 169.254.x.x.

Solution (At-least for me)
    After playing for 2 nights, i finally found out the solution - Both devices should be paired first once they are paired they (Repeater) will receive an IP range of your router.
    Unfortunately it is not clearly mentioned anywhere in the manual that you have to pair the devices otherwise you will have loop-back IP address(168.154.x.x) like all of us are getting.

Hopefully this will helps.

Quote Originally Posted by f.malik.nl View Post
    I had similar issues and I read this thread 4 times to find the solution,It all started when I factory reset the adapters due to some reason. No matter what i do i always end up with the loopback range 169.254.x.x.

Solution (At-least for me)
    After playing for 2 nights, i finally found out the solution - Both devices should be paired first once they are paired they (Repeater) will receive an IP range of your router.
    Unfortunately it is not clearly mentioned anywhere in the manual that you have to pair the devices otherwise you will have loop-back IP address(168.154.x.x) like all of us are getting.

Hopefully this will helps.
    Good tip, but not completely accurate. By pairing, they are now both on your network, but the IP address it receives is *NOT* a DHCP requested address. It does what's been described before, it pokes around your network looking for an unused IP, then squats on that. this may or may not work long-term. It's pure IP-roulete.

The *only* sure-fire way to make these work reliably long-term is to assign them a fixed IP from below your DHCP range.
    Last edited by JonFo; 10-17-2015 at 10:21.

Quote Originally Posted by JonFo View Post
    Good tip, but not completely accurate. By pairing, they are now both on your network, but the IP address it receives is *NOT* a DHCP requested address. It does what's been described before, it pokes around your network looking for an unused IP, then squats on that. this may or may not work long-term. It's pure IP-roulete.

The *only* sure-fire way to make these work reliably long-term is to assign them a fixed IP from below your DHCP range.

Loop back issues (196.254.x.x) will not be resolved by using IP address outside of the DHCP range It will pick up the loopback range(196.254.x.x) within 1-2 mins. The issues will be only resolved when both devices are paired.
    Not everyone has the option to set the IP out of DHCP range on the their routers (Just like me) as a work around I have chosen an IP from my DHCP range and set it as a static IP on my router for the TPLink device, it worked like a charm.

Again As I mentioned earlier it worked for me J other might have different setups/ setting.

Setting a fixed IP address on each WPA4220 has helped greatly; until the WPA42220's decided to forget that they had been configured with fixed IP addresses,
    and resumed their novel practice of self-assigning themselves IP addresses. Perhaps the WPA4220 firmware is clever enough to detect conflicts, and re-assign itself
    a new IP address if that occurs; but that is just a guess on my part. The obvious solution is for the devices to behave like normal DHCP clients; the mystery is why
    the TPLINK engineers have not figured this out.

The WPA4220 does not act as a DHCP client, and never issues a request to a DHCP server; so I do not see how setting up a reserved IP address will be of any help.

And pray that the device in fact remembers to use the fixed IP address it was assigned. Five of the devices in my network decided to forget the assignment, and go back to using IP roulette.
    Another five are still using the fixed IP addresses I assigned. I have no clue why some devices remember, and others do not.

For how long did it work like a charm? The TPLink device has most certainly self-assigned itself another IP address, which will work until some other device is assigned that IP address.
    It might take weeks or months before the conflict occurs.

Quote Originally Posted by slotest View Post
    The WPA4220 does not act as a DHCP client, and never issues a request to a DHCP server; so I do not see how setting up a reserved IP address will be of any help.
    If the factory IP address is 192.168.1.1 for all, two of them in the same network should conflict if you make no changes to the IP address right?

There is actually no way to set a "fixed IP address" on the WPA4220. You can only set "preferred" IP address, which the device will use first when looking for a suitable IP address.
    But if the device discovers that its preferred IP address is in use, it picks other values until it finds one currently unused.
    And at that point, there is no way to tell what its preferred IP address is; the http display only shows the IP address currently in use!

I had 6 WPA4220 devices configured with distinct preferred IP addresses; they used those addresses for about a month, then something caused them all to pick other (random?) addresses
    (sadly within the range handed out by my DHCP server).

No, since the factory default IP address i(192.168.1.1) is just a preferred IP address, not a fixed IP address.
    If multiple WPA4220s are connected with the same preferred IP address, most with discover a conflict and pick another IP address.
    I have not yet done enough testing to learn whether a WPA4220 abandons an IP address which some other device starts using.

That technique worked for me for a while; but eventually something caused my multiple WPA4220s to stop using their preferred IP addresses, and they all picked random IPs.
    You can not set a "fixed" IP address on the WPA4220, only a preferred one.

Latest test result: if a WPA4220 is using an IP address, and a DHCP server assigns that address to some other device,
    the WPA4220 abandons the address and uses its algorithm to choose another. So perhaps the unpredictable IP addresses will
    not actually explain the various problems noted in this thread; seems more likely it is a problem with the wifi connection.