Welcome to TP-LINK Tech Support Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mavis View Post
    Cable connection to WPA4220 works OK or it drops as well?
    Both cabled and wireless drops connection intermittently in my case.

Having the exact same problem here. My two TL-WPA4220 do not appear to be relaying DHCP requests back to my main DHCP server so wifi clients are getting disconnected when their leases expire.

@TP-LINK: Any solutions for this yet as it's clearly happening to a LOT of users and it makes your product nearly unusable.

Contact TP-LINK support team here and report the problem. Maybe they know the problem but cannot reproduce it. If more and more users report it, they may pay more attention to it. How do you think? One more tip: describe your network environment and what you've done in details. Good luck.
    http://ticket.tp-link.com/index.php?/Tickets/Submit

solution found for similar problem

I had a kit WPA4220 which worked fine for months and then stopped working. I could still see the wireless network but failed to connect from iphone/PC....The ip address of the receiver kept showing as the auto IP 169.254...
    I then tried to pair the 2 devices ==> I got prompted with a password when trying to join my iphone to the wireless but no luck...
    I then connected via ethernet to my PC the receiver and started the powerline utility / I went to the CPL sections / Adapters and no adapter was listed here even though the adapter was plugged to the router. I then added manually the adapter in the utility (specified the password mentioned on the adapter box) and validated. It could then recognize the adapter and get its MAC address).
    I then unplugged the receiver and moved it to the room where I need it ==> I COULD CONNECT MY IPHONE TO THE WIFI, THIS WORKED !!!!!!!!

Let us know how long it lasts. It looks like it wont.

I just posted a ticket to TP-Link, since I'm having the exact same problem as described in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by krachtwerk View Post
    I just posted a ticket to TP-Link, since I'm having the exact same problem as described in this thread.
    Was your ticket solved by TP-Link?

I have the same issues as mentioned by others. Getting a 169 address.
    Tested in two different locations on two different routers.
    Setting an IP reservation on both also did not solve the problem nor did updating the firmware on the powerlines.
    This issue occurred after I factory reset the Powerline.

Quote Originally Posted by username99 View Post
    Was your ticket solved by TP-Link?
    No, I got an 'auto' reply which was telling me to go through all the regular motions, like resetting etc. I didn't feel like doing all that yet again, secretly hoping that a solution would pop up in this thread.

Unhappy Same issue here... DHCP stops after 12-24 hours

Just installed a new 4220 kit at the mother-in-law's. Manually set IP of devices to 192.168.1.1 (master) and 192.168.1.2 (extender). Also, manually set the wireless the same as her U-verse router, so she can roam freely across the house.17 hours later, the wireless extender was no longer giving out DHCP addresses. I rebooted the device via the Web page and it started working again.I hope we get a solution from TP-Link on this, or at least they start working with us to isolate the issue. We have several technical people here who could give assistance.

Read this.
    http://forum.tp-link.com/showthread....l=1#post159449

By the way, did you submit a ticket to report the problem? Not sure if there is any progress on TP-LINK support team side.
    http://ticket.tp-link.com/index.php?/Tickets/Submit

I had the same issue and so far it seem resolved. I set in my dhcp sever a fixed address for the wifi extender. I rebooted many times but the problem remained. The extende got and set the desired ip address after unplugging the device that connects to the isp modem (don't remember the model)

So a reserved ip address set by the dhcp to the extender and then reboot all devices

Quote Originally Posted by s2r View Post
    I had the same issue and so far it seem resolved. I set in my dhcp sever a fixed address for the wifi extender. I rebooted many times but the problem remained. The extende got and set the desired ip address after unplugging the device that connects to the isp modem (don't remember the model)

So a reserved ip address set by the dhcp to the extender and then reboot all devices
    I don't beleive that will work long term. These units seem to just scan the network for an 'open' IP address and just grab it. I see zero DHCP traffic in my routers logs from these devices, so they completely bypass that mechanism. Which is why so many are having issues.
    What if the random IP it grabbed was that of a phone that was out of the house? When that phone comes back, now there is an IP address conflict on the network.

So a 'reserved' DHCP entry is only helpful in the sense that HDCP will not hand it out to another device, thereby reducing chances of conflict. But next time the WPA device decides to switch IP's, you are playing IP roulette.

Setting a fixed IP address on and for each WPA4220 is the only way I know of to cure this issue.

Of course, it seems there are some other issues with these units, but this is one of the biggest,

Me too!

I have the same problem. Have a number of these units and phones and laptops cant find IP adresses. Clearly, this is not an isolated, faulty unit but a issue with the units.

Hmmm ... not working with Windows

I get the same behaviour being described here. The Windows machine (Windows 8.1) gets an IP-address that is automatically allocated when it fails to auto-configure.

I can connect a Samsung phone, a Chromebook, MacAir, iMac and just about anything else I throw at it, but not Windows.

I started looking at what the router was doing, and from that side, everything looks fine.

1) I access the TP-LINK_xyz access point
    2) Windows takes an eternity before quitting with Limited access
    3) I look in the router, and DHCP has gotten a request and allocated a valid IP-address in my home network's range. I can tell by looking at the MAC-address.
    4) I run ipconfig /all and I see that Windows never got it. There is a 196.something.or.other address assigned to the WiFi adapter.

There is something about TP-LINK that doesn't get along well with Windows.

I added and successfully paired a Netgear PowerLine switch in order to connect an Epson 3800 printer, and that works just fine. But Windows just does not want to do it. I have to go through the routers SSID in order to connect to the net. I can't access the net through TP-LINK's wifi points.

This is only a problem with Windows. Others act up, but eventually start to "play ball".

I've seem too have resolved the problem, on my end at least, after reading JonFo's last comment.

My LAN uses the 192.168.2.* range of IP addresses, and my router's DHCP server hands out IP addresses from 192.168.2.100 upwards.

I then set the IP address of my WPA4220 to 192.168.2.9 (an address outside of the range that DHCP hands out) and I added that IP address to the list of reserved clients that my router allows me to set.

After that, all my devices seem to connect fine with the WPA4220.