Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

TL-PA511 powersave issue

Region : UnitedKingdom

Model : TL-PA511KIT

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version : The latest one on Tp link website

ISP :

Hello to all forum members!

Just purchased a TL-PA511KIT plus one extra adapter. One connected to router, one connected to a desktop and one connected to xbox. The product works fine in use but there is one major flaw - the power save facility. On my xbox the adapter will not go into power save mode and my computer will go into power save mode but will not restart once I turn the computer back on (I have to turn the wall switch off and on). I purchased these units due to their power save option as to save some energy whilst not in use (computer and xbox only used during the evening). It is a real shame that this product has this flaw as in use they are excellent. Has anybody else had this problem? Unfortunately, unless there is a solution I'll be sending mine back to Amazon as they don't do what is says on the box! Any help would be appreciated as I would like to keep these adapters but only if I can find a solution to the power save issue.

Thanks in advance for any help,

Daryl
    Last edited by Darylt66; 01-27-2013 at 10:01.

As I know, it is compatible issue between TL-PA511 and some built-in network cards, since your PC will not restart itself. There is a beta firmware to solve such a issue, but power-saving funstion is disabled then.
    You'd better check if it will go to power saving mode when xbox is disconnected from TL-PA511 because sometimes maybe the built-in network card is still running.

If power-saving mode is a key feature for you, mine is TL-PA511 V2 which works perfectly.

Thank you for the reply. Yes, the powersave option is important - how would I know if I am buying the V2 version?? I can return mine to Amazon as they dont do what they say on the box.

Thanks,

Daryl

Members
    Daryl, I think there is a label on the package showing it.

cant seem to find the version 2 available with any UK retailer - I have tried Amazon, Dabs etc - can anyone reccomend a retailer that would stock the version 2?

Many thanks,

Daryl

Quote Originally Posted by Vivian View Post
    As I know, it is compatible issue between TL-PA511 and some built-in network cards, since your PC will not restart itself. There is a beta firmware to solve such a issue, but power-saving funstion is disabled then.
    You'd better check if it will go to power saving mode when xbox is disconnected from TL-PA511 because sometimes maybe the built-in network card is still running.

If power-saving mode is a key feature for you, mine is TL-PA511 V2 which works perfectly.
    Vivian - Are you able to confirm where you bought the version 2 units as Tp Link are telling me that there are none in the UK??

Many thanks,

Daryl

Quote Originally Posted by Vivian View Post

i have the same power-saving problem. the unit won't wake-up. i don't care about the power-saving feature.. i just need the unit to work. where can i find the beta firmware?

is it the file here?
    http://www.tp-link.com/ca/support/do...KIT&version=V1

there's no mention of a power-save fix in the notes.

thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by giddyup69 View Post
    i have the same power-saving problem. the unit won't wake-up. i don't care about the power-saving feature.. i just need the unit to work. where can i find the beta firmware?

is it the file here?
    http://www.tp-link.com/ca/support/do...KIT&version=V1

there's no mention of a power-save fix in the notes.

thanks.
    Hello,

You can download the firmware from the following location:
    http://www.tp-link-support.de/firmwa...1.WOL_BETA.zip

Regards, Conrad

Quote Originally Posted by RedStar85 View Post
    Hello,

You can download the firmware from the following location:
    http://www.tp-link-support.de/firmwa...1.WOL_BETA.zip

Regards, Conrad
    Thanks for this link but it doesn't seem to work on my unit. My unit is TL-PA511 (US) V1.2. I've tried the attached firmware as well as firmware sent to me by TP-Link support but they don't seem to update the unit. In the diagnostics section they still read as AR-7400-MAC-5-2-5233-02-968-20120209-Final-B.

This has been an extremely frustrating experience.

Same problem here

Quote Originally Posted by giddyup69 View Post
    Thanks for this link but it doesn't seem to work on my unit. My unit is TL-PA511 (US) V1.2. I've tried the attached firmware as well as firmware sent to me by TP-Link support but they don't seem to update the unit. In the diagnostics section they still read as AR-7400-MAC-5-2-5233-02-968-20120209-Final-B.

This has been an extremely frustrating experience.
    It says US version cannot be upgraded. I have UK version, but still it seems I can't upgrade it.

Same problem here, I have upgraded the firmware, but it has not worked, or the diagnostics are showing the wrong version. I do not have a problem with power off as plug the other end of the powerline into another router which keeps it awake but I would like to upgrade the firmware to try to improve speed as I'm only getting 120Mpbs. This gives an orange light. The manual says orange light below 80Mpbs. I believe you have to half the shown rate to get the data throughput rate as it seems to go green at 190Mbps.
    Last edited by sukerkman; 03-14-2013 at 12:04.

May have stumbled on something.

Hi, I am in the same boat as the original poster. Same hardware, same problem.

I have been searching around to see if there was any way could manually wake it from my pc.(unplugging & replugging works, but is a pain)
    I was thinking a command of sorts that would force my NIC to send data to the powerline and hopefully wake it. Create a shortcut & then it will be one click away.

During messing about with settings and the like, I set my PC to sleep and let the power line enter power save mode. Woke the PC and as always the powerline remained in PSM.
    Done a restart and the same. Hit restart, but this time went into BIOS and viola! The powerline awakened!

Now, I do have a reasonable knowledge of computers, but will need some input on why it would work in BIOS and not windows.

Perhaps some of you guys/gals could see if BIOS wakes your powerlines and get back to me.

I am also experiencimg this problem with TL-PA511 purchased through Amazon in UK. I have a Asus P8Z77-V Motherboard and am using the on-board NIC.

I have contacted support but thought I would check here to see if anyone has a reliable fix.

Thanks.

Jon.

Members
    jdw, did you get any suggestion from support regarding this issue?

Hello everyone,... I think I am getting somewhere with this....

My Powerline is connected to my custom built HTPC. I have a AsRock A75M motherboard which use Realtek for the NIC (Network Interface aka ethernet port).
    I checked the drivers available for my Mobo on Asrocks site and I already had the most recent installed. I think they were over a year old, so I went direct to Realtek and Downloaded their latest NIC PCIe drivers. (Dated 28th March 2013 I think)

Now my Powerline stays on after shutdown & sleep. I haven't had much time to mess around with it over the last few days, but had to unplug my HTPC for a bit yesterday which put the Powerline into sleep mode. Plugged my HTPC back into the mains, started her up and the Powerline powered back up!

I'm pretty certain the thing that is keeping the Powerline on, is something to do with "Wake on Lan" which I will disable when I get a chance tonight through ACPI options in BIOS.

Other steps I have taken were to upgrade the Powerline to the latest Firmware found here: TL-PA511 FW
    I also upgraded my routers Firmware. You will need to go to your manufacturers website for support on this.

I'm not sure if these last 2 steps are important, so my advice would be to try the NIC drivers first to see how you get on.

Realtek NIC Drivers are found here: Realtek Drivers

If you have an intel NIC then update to the latest drivers available on Intels website here: Intel Drivers

I will report back once I have tinkered with my BIOS "Wake on Lan" settings.
    Last edited by Meatfeast; 04-04-2013 at 12:30.