Welcome to TP-LINK Tech Support Forum
+ Reply to Thread

How to configure N750 as access point

Region : UnitedStates

Model : TL-WDR4300

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version : 3.13.23 Build 120810 Rel 44064n

ISP :

How do I configure the TP-Link N750 wireless router model TL-WDR4300 as an access point so that computers/nodes on the WAN, LAN and wifi connections of this device are all on the same network/subnet?

From the admin browser page, disabling DHCP and NAT does not provide the desired results.

I am using this TL-WDR4300 on my internal network that already has DHCP and DNS.

Thank you.

Here is what I did to the router:
    1. Change the IP address of the router to be different from the main router.
    2. Disable the DHCP sever within the TL-WDR4300.
    3. Connect the main router to the LAN port on the TP-LINK one.

Sharon, you're a genius.

I just moved the cable and configuration from the WAN to the LAN port of the TL-WDR4300 and my computers and devices are on the same network across wired and wireless connections. It's a beautiful thing.

Thank you for your quick response and helpful suggestion!

As far as access point functionality, one downside to disconnecting the cable from the TL-WDR4300 WAN port is that there is no default gateway for the LAN port and therefore the router can't process off-network or Internet addresses. Consequently, the TP-Link router can't email logs using an external SMTP server, can't sync time using an external NTP server, etc. It would seem the workaround would be to only perform local functions that don't require a default gateway or flash opensource firmware such as dd-wrt which can change the wireless mode to access point.

I'm disappointed that this TP-Link's native management software doesn't provide the ability to change the wireless mode. Are you listening, TP-Link?

Thanks

Members Ada is on a distinguished road
    Maybe some guys will buy an access point device instead of a router to make it work in that way. Anyway, you are a smart guy and CD, you know, is for all users.

Members gmail is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by routerdude View Post
    As far as access point functionality, one downside to disconnecting the cable from the TL-WDR4300 WAN port is that there is no default gateway for the LAN port and therefore the router can't process off-network or Internet addresses. Consequently, the TP-Link router can't email logs using an external SMTP server, can't sync time using an external NTP server, etc. It would seem the workaround would be to only perform local functions that don't require a default gateway or flash opensource firmware such as dd-wrt which can change the wireless mode to access point.
    You are really smart and so many thing i do not know before. So I googled. Haha, Google tell me something you are talking about. It is said that the NTP server and SMTP is based on WAN port. If the WAN port is not in use, the software does not know where to transfer the data.That is why it needs static routing settings. So maybe TL-WDR4300is designed as a router not AP. So when a machine in lack of an important part, some function also disappear!

Of course there are access points and TP-Link sells the TL-WR2543ND, but it's only 450Mbps instead of their routers that run 750Mbps and coming soon 900Mbps. I want the faster speed on my network.

Interestingly enough, I found today TP-Link FAQ ID 417 "How to Configure TP-LINK N router as a wireless Access Point?" that illustrates exactly what sharon suggested. That FAQ did not come up in my initial support queries.

I suppose this thread is unnecessary. The answer was here http://www.tp-link.com/en/article/?faqid=417.

Sorry.

I'm also owner of the Router "TL-WDR4300".

I'm still interested in using the router as an Access Point and also using functionality like Ping, Timesettings and Mailing.

In my eyes it should be possible to use the WAN Port and defining something like a static route and static IP address, which are from the router which is connected to the provider/WWW.

I will try some settings in future, but perhaps some people have experience with that?

Why don't you just put in a def-gw manually, and let it point at your existing def-gw in the segment ?
    Won't that work just ok , with the 4300 connected via the Lan-Ports to the existing segment ?

Advanced Routing -> Static Routing List -> Add New
    Dest Net = 0.0.0.0, Subnet = 0.0.0.0, def-gw <Addr of your def-gw router>

/Bingo

Quote Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
    Why don't you just put in a def-gw manually, and let it point at your existing def-gw in the segment ?
    Won't that work just ok , with the 4300 connected via the Lan-Ports to the existing segment ?

Advanced Routing -> Static Routing List -> Add New
    Dest Net = 0.0.0.0, Subnet = 0.0.0.0, def-gw <Addr of your def-gw router>

/Bingo
    Hi Bingo,

I add a default route on TP-Link TL-WDR4300 but it gives error : Bad destination IP Address, please put another one.

Dest net = 0.0.0.0
    Subnet = 0.0.0.0
    Default gw : 10.56.66.20.

any other solutions?

Thanks and Best Regards.

re

Quote Originally Posted by sharon View Post
    Here is what I did to the router:
    1. Change the IP address of the router to be different from the main router.
    2. Disable the DHCP sever within the TL-WDR4300.
    3. Connect the main router to the LAN port on the TP-LINK one.
    but still ?! i have to set up the ssid name like the main router and the pass. Moreover i have to change the channel of the second wifi and first so that they doesn't conflict ?

Im having problem bridging my n750 wirelessly. My main router is a zyxel router and when im trying to bridge my n750 to it, it does not give me an internet connection. I already tried folloqing the procedure on how to bridge it wirelessly it still wont connect. Also tried it to the tplink 842nd and it works fine. How come I can confugure it using the 842nd and not the wdr4300. Thanks.