Welcome to TP-LINK Tech Support Forum
+ Reply to Thread

Question T2600G-28TS - Problem with LACP and Jumbo Frame

Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP : [/COLOR]

Hi guys,
    I'm writing here because I need your precious help.
    I think to probably have a little problem of configuration on my network and I'llI try to explain in simple way the problem and my network's configuration. Thanks to all for support and patience !
    I have an ASUS AC87U Router, a T2600G-28TS and two identical client with AMD FX 8350 processor, 32 Gb of ram and a SSD as primary disk.
    In each of these two clients I have installed a
    HP 331T Quad Port 1GbE Network Adapter (which is moved by a Bradcom chipset and which is managed using Bradcom Advanced Control Suite 4).
    Using Broadcom Control Suite I create a Team using all 4 lan port and on my T2600G-28TS I did a link aggregation (4 lan port of the switch for the first pc and other 4 lan port of the switch for the second PC).
    The cables are CAT6A FTP,
    The problem is that when I try to transfer data from PC1 to PC2 (form a source folder that on PC1 is on SSD to a target folder that on PC2 is always on a SSD) I don't see throughput of the Team adpater which I can see regularly working under lan device of my Windows 10.
    Team device show 4Gbit connection while data transfer is of 130 Mbyte (so more near to a 1Gbit connection).
    In my idea I think to reach 300-400 Mbyte of speed but it isn't. There is something wrong in my idea?

I did some test using iperf and i decide to work on the same pc as server and as client infact from a DOS command line I launched this command :
    iperf3.exe -s -i 5

and from a second DOS command line :
    iperf3.exe -c ipserver -t 60 -i 5

and this is the result:

[ ID] Interval Transfer Bandwidth
    [ 5] 0.00-60.00 sec 0.00 Bytes 0.00 bits/sec sender
    [ 5] 0.00-60.00 sec 26.2 GBytes 3.74 Gbits/sec receiver

It seem to be correctly aggregated but I can see this speed when I move data from PC1 to PC2. Can be a reason? Could I check something on the switch?

The second problem is jumbo frame.
    I set MTU 9000 to all 4 lan adapter of the HP 331T Quad Port 1GbE Network Adapter, so Team adapter has 9000 MTU.
    I try this command “ping IP address –f –l 9000" but the answer is that packet need to be fragmented and I don't undestand the reason.

On the switch (for the first PC) in LAG session I have

1 Active LACP 1/0/17,1/0/19,1/0/21,1/0/23

Hash Algorithm SRC IP + DST IP

Detail info :

Group Number:
    LAG1

LAG Type:
    Active LACP

Port Status:
    Enable

Speed:
    Auto

Flow Control:
    Disable

Ingress Bandwidth (bps):
    --

Egress Bandwidth (bps):
    --

Broadcast Control (bps):
    --

Multicast Control (bps):
    --

UL Control (bps):
    --

QoS Priority:
    CoS 0

Join VLAN:

I don't know reason why bps field are blank.

I hope to be sufficiently clear in the exposition. If you need more info please tell me .
    Thanks you very much for time and support that you will dedicated to me.

Members R1D2 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by AINEMORF View Post
    It seem to be correctly aggregated but I can see this speed when I move data from PC1 to PC2. Can be a reason? Could I check something on the switch?

You selected SRC IP + DST IP as the LAG hash algorithm. Should use SRC MAC + DST MAC to make use of more than one LAG channel.

As for the jumbo frames: sometimes the 9kB specification includes TCP headers, sometimes not, so try to set a slightly lower MTU.

Thanks a lot for your answer.
    I made the change you indicated to me but I can't see any improvement but I have a doubt.
    I know that 802.3ad standard (which is the standard for Link aggregation) does not increase the bandwith for a single conversation.
    This means that also if I have a quad lan port on each of the two computers if a transfer a single file of 4 Gb, from a pc to another, the speed is of 1 Gbit/s.
    I could see the improvement only if I transfer 4 file of 4 Gb. In this situation I could see 4 transfer process which can go ad 1 Gbit/s.

Now the doubt : BASF (Broadcom Advanced Control Suite driver) has 3 option when I go to create team :

1-Load balancing and failover (it is not my case because I'm trying to improve performances of speed)
    2-802.3ad Link Aggregation using Link Aggregation Control Protocol (LACP)
    3-FEC/GEC Generic Trunking

I choose option 2 and the suite create my virtual lan adpater (called Team 1).
    Doing this, if I go on the web pages of the switch under SWITCHING-LAG i see the Member correctly populated:

Global Config
    Hash Algorithm: SRC MAC + DST MAC
    LAG Table
    Select Group Number Description Member Operation
    1 Passive LACP 1/0/18,1/0/20,1/0/22,1/0/24 Edit | Detail
    2 Passive LACP 1/0/17,1/0/19,1/0/21,1/0/23 Edit | Detail

In other way do I have a change to see for a SINGLE transfer a speed > 1 Gbit/s? (working on configuration of my switch or on configuration of my pci lan quad adapter)

On youtube there is a video (linustechtips link aggregation) which speaks about RSS and SMB3.0 and he tells that he was able to transfer a single file at 3.60Gbit (you can also in the video) because his configuration splits traffic on the 4 cable. Infact if we see the video and his W10 perfromances monitor we can see 4 lan apdator and not 1 (he has no teaming). I try also in this way enablin RSS and SMB3-0 but nothing (I have tremendous performances).

Thanks a lot fot your support.
    Last edited by AINEMORF; 04-17-2018 at 09:05.

You are correct for the question about jumbo frame
    Infact if I try this command from PC1 : ping PC2 -f -l 8970 it gives us a correct result (also if from PC2 I try : ping PC1 -f -l 8970).
    We are very very near to the limit of 9000 for maximun MTU.

Members R1D2 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by AINEMORF View Post
    In other way do I have a change to see for a SINGLE transfer a speed > 1 Gbit/s? (working on configuration of my switch or on configuration of my pci lan quad adapter)
    IMHO this depends on implementation of the interfaces used for the LAG. If the 4 ports are independent interfaces they should have different MACs even in a LAG, at least on the system I did use channel bonding on (server running IRIX). But Windows and even Linux might use another scheme. I'm not familiar with those. Currently I just use LAGs between TP-Link switches, not servers or even client devices.

Maybe it's easier to consider buying a 10Gbit/s interface card to increase bandwidth of a single system/single session.
    Last edited by R1D2; 04-19-2018 at 00:38.