Welcome to TP-LINK Tech Support Forum
+ Reply to Thread

TL-SG1024DE Lik Lights Blinking in Unison

Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP : [/COLOR]

I am sure there is something wrong with this switch. It is connected to my router and a TL-SG1016DE. The latter link is through 3 Cat 6 cables linked in the switches as a Trunk.
    The Link lights on the TL-SG1016DE blink individually, but the ones on the TL-SG1024DE all blink in unison. I spoke to technical support who say there is nothing wrong, but I am not so sure,
    Does anyone know the answer.
    I have tried rebooting.

Do you mean that you use the Port Trunk feature? We also like to call it Link Aggregation.
    If the link aggregation is failed, when you link 3 cables on the switch, it will causes the broadcast.
    So your network is normal now?

Thanks for the reply, soroka.
    I have trouble with DNS Lookup Intermittently being very slow, and am suspecting the LAG on the Switches.
    I have a new 24 port switch which is behaving the same.
    At the moment I have deleted the 3 port LAG (Ports 1-3) and only have one link between the switches to see if that makes a difference. It will be a few days yet before I know.
    To be honest the lights on both the 16 Port and 24 Port all seem to blink in unison as if 'broadcasting'.
    How can I tell if the LAG is OK?

I should say 'If the link aggregation is failed, when you link 3 cables on the switch, it will causes the broadcast storm.’ If the broadcast storm happens, you will see the lights on the switch blink quickly all the time. It will makes your network crash.

When you use the LAG, the LEDs of all LAG ports should light. When the LED blinks, it represents that the data transfer from this port.

If you have two PCs connected to the switch, you can use these two PCs to access the internet then open the setting menu of monitoring-->port statistics to check TxGoodPkt. If the LAG is normal, you will see the data transfer from different ports.

DNS Lookup is very slow, it may be related to the DNS server. You can try to test different domain name.

Soroka you are a genius! I have found the culprit.
    I cleared the Port Stats on both switches, then repeatedly pressed the refresh button to see what was happening. You can see that all the devices except Port 16 are Tx almost matching packets to Port 16 Rx. See Image here
    Name:  24Port_PlantRoom_01.png
Views: 0
Size:  50.5 KB
    Now disconnect Port 16 and Bingo! Much more normal look and feel to the Stats.
    Name:  24Port_PlantRoom_02.png
Views: 0
Size:  45.5 KB
    Similarly on the 16 Port switch, all the devices are Tx loads of packets to Port 1 which is the link to the 24 Port switch (Port 1). All this activity stops when Port 16 on the 24 Port switch is disconnected. Also there is hardly anything getting through on Tx on Port 1 on the 16 Port Switch until the device on port 16 is removed.
    This device is the monitoring port on my Weather Satellite Receiver. I will now have to find out why this is happening.
    I am SO GRATEFUL to you for putting me on the right track.
    I am vindicated. I was sure the lights should not be blinking like that. Now they are behaving normally.
    I suspect the flooding of data is what was messing up the DNS Lookups. We shall see.
    Now to track down the problem further. I can isolate this device and see what is going on with Wireshark.