Welcome to TP-LINK Tech Support Forum
+ Reply to Thread

wrong mac address and firmware on device

Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP : [/COLOR]

Very wierd situation.

yesterday i purchased a TL-SG105E 5 port easy switch.

Whenever i install a managed (of sorts) switch on a network i assign it a static IP address (192.168.1.50 in this circumstance), and make a note of the last 6 digits of the mac address on the unit (54:61:77 in this case) and stick a sticker on the unit.

Strangely, the MAC address was not showing on the DHCP of the router anywhere.

When i logged into the admon portal on the switch i see this:

Name:  Screen Shot 2018-02-03 at 10.11.35.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  76.8 KB

the unit is correctly ID'd as SW1-BASEMENT, has the correct IP address, but the MAC address is wrong.

On top of that, its showing as a TL-SG108E

??????

and on top of that this 5 port switch is showing that something is plugged into port 7

Name:  Screen Shot 2018-02-03 at 10.14.49.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  73.6 KB

any idea what could be going on here?

UKD.

Members R1D2 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by ukdeveloper View Post
    Strangely, the MAC address was not showing on the DHCP of the router anywhere.

Post a screenshot of "IP Settings" of the switch config. If a static IP is set, it won't turn up as a DHCP lease on the router.

the unit is correctly ID'd as SW1-BASEMENT, has the correct IP address, but the MAC address is wrong.
    Can't see wrong MAC here. OUI 70:4F:57 is officially assigned to TP-Link, see https://hwaddress.com/mac-address-ra...4F-57-FF-FF-FF

On top of that, its showing as a TL-SG108E
    What's the switch's hardware version printed on the label? Current firmware is 1.0.0 Build 20171214 Rel.70092 published 2018-01-26 for TL-SG105E v3.

and on top of that this 5 port switch is showing that something is plugged into port 7

Seems to me that you got an used device where a previous user did install firmware for TL-SG108E.

I also bought a TL-SG105E last Wednesday at Amazon and got an used device even with parts missing. Replacement is on the way already after I complained to Amazon.
    Last edited by R1D2; 02-04-2018 at 10:15.

Quote Originally Posted by R1D2 View Post

Seems to me that you got an used device where a previous user did install firmware for TL-SG108E.

I also bought a TL-SG105E last Wednesday at Amazon and got an used device even with parts missing. Replacement is on the way already after I complained to Amazon.

I bought mine from Currys / PC World, sealed unit with security tag still attached.

Members R1D2 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by ukdeveloper View Post
    I bought mine from Currys / PC World, sealed unit with security tag still attached.
    Hm, my TL-SG105E has no such security tag. It's just in a shrink-wrapped box. Anyway, if it really has the wrong firmware installed, I guess someone did tamper with it despite any security tags or seals.