EAP245 - Load Balancing

Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP : [/COLOR]

Running:
    EAP Controller 2.5.4
    2x APs EAP245 Firmware Version 1.2.0 Build 20170828 Rel. 67350

I have 2 EAP245's in my home. 1 located upstairs, 1 in basement. I would like for them to hand off from one to the other when signal gets low. Example. Client (iPhone) is connected to basement AP and moves up stairs, it is still connected to basement AP but VERY weak. I would like it to handoff to upstairs AP. Is this something that I would set the RSSI Threshold to handle this or is there something else to set?

Thanks for any help.

Members R1D2 is on a distinguished road
    Yes, you could try to set a RSSI threshold on the EAP in the basement. Also make sure to use the same SSIDs and same WPA keys on both EAPs, but different WiFi channels. Note that there might be a short delay when a client device is switching APs. Furthermore, if the client device is in sleep mode with WiFi disabled, it will not switch to the other AP until the WiFi adapter becomes active again.

Quote Originally Posted by R1D2 View Post
    Yes, you could try to set a RSSI threshold on the EAP in the basement. Also make sure to use the same SSIDs and same WPA keys on both EAPs, but different WiFi channels. Note that there might be a short delay when a client device is switching APs. Furthermore, if the client device is in sleep mode with WiFi disabled, it will not switch to the other AP until the WiFi adapter becomes active again.
    Thanks,

I use the EAP Controller software to manager my APs. I think it manages the SSIDs and channels for me. Any recommendation on threshold?

Members R1D2 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by dhill835 View Post
    I use the EAP Controller software to manager my APs. I think it manages the SSIDs and channels for me. Any recommendation on threshold?
    The EAP Controller just sets SSIDs/channels as configured by you. You can think of EAP Controller as a central management for all EAPs, but you still have to set the SSID/channel it should configure the EAPs to.

Threshold depends on actual signal strength which you want to trigger a forced re-connect. Using a WiFi analyzer on the phone while being upstairs helps you to find out the correct threshold for the basement EAP at which the phone should be forced to re-connect with the upstairs EAP.