Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP : [/COLOR]

Hi <br>
<br>
I bought two Archer D7's to extend a wifi network and am having a number of issues<br>
<br>
<strong>Question one</strong> - I have noticed is that there seems to be some confict while I try to configure the first router if there is another wifi, sometime it can't even see the wifi I want to extend if I am in the same room.<br>
<br>
When I do find it in the survey and select it then put the credential in it prompts me to say that the network I am trying to extend uses a different channel and says I should change it to match.<br>
<br>
Is there a reason for this? It makes no sense to me, surely this is a recipe for conflct, if I use something like Acrylic I can see what wifi channel is least used and it would make sense to me to use the one least used.<br>
<br>
Then when I try to connect I am having very poor connection, if it works at all.<br>
<br>
<br>
http://www.tp-link.com/lk/faq-447.html<br>
<br>
<strong>Question two</strong> - The web page above with instruction on how to connect the networks says <br>
<br>
<font color="red">1.</font><font color="red">LAN IP of TD-W8968 should be different but in the same subnet with the root AP.</font><br>
<br>
<br>
This is disappointing, subnets add a barrier, and more configuration options on my network, the only reason I can think <br>
for requiring this is that once you make a WDS connection you lose access to your router and can't admin it unless you connect <br>
an Ethernet cable to it and disable wifi on your laptop.<br>
<br>
<font color="#FF0000">3. The DHCP Server on extended router should be disabled;</font><br>
<br>
Why is this necessary? I was really hoping to be able to setup my own network and only use the host network for access to the internet.<br>
<br>
Is this saying that I should completely disable DHCP or set it to DCHP relay?<br>
<br>
<font color="#FF0000"> 4. </font><font color="red">WDS bridging only requires the WDS setting on either the root router or the extended router, on either 2.4GHz or 5GHz; NO need to setup on both si</font><font color="#FF0000">des or both bands.</font><br>
<br>
<br>
This makes no sense to me, I have a buffalo router that just extends networks it finds, there is no need to set any WDS on the "root router".<br>
<br>
Also it seems crazy to suggest that WDS need only be configures on EITHER 2.4GHz or 5GHz; surely one wants to extend whatever one can, 5Ghz has way more bandwidth so I want it for my Laptop while 2.4Ghz is all that is supported on my phone.<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<strong>Question Three</strong> - I want to connect the two TP-Link routers in relay, one to be located in the next room to the "root router" or in the corridor and the other across a stairway into the other side of the building. Is this a realistic hope to get this to work (so far I am having trouble just getting the TP link to extend the "root network".<br>
<br>
<strong>Question Four</strong>- The way the building is laid out is almost in a straight line, I have had difficulty seeing the root network but strangly if I put the router in the window it can see it, albeit at a low quality. Shoud I put the "root router" in the window of the room it is in?<br>
<br>
<strong>Question Five </strong>- I have seen reports elsewhere of dropped connections requiring reboots or being able to connect to the TPlink router but not having any internet connection, is this a connection method that is viable or is it more trouble than it is worth it.