Welcome to TP-LINK Tech Support Forum
+ Reply to Thread

AC500 with CAP1750 turn off SSID Broadcasting

Model : AC500

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version : 1.0.1 Build 20170706 Rel.72540

ISP : [/COLOR]

I have two AC500 wireless controllers in an Active - Passive configuration. The CAP1750 access points are broadcasting the SSID. How can I turn off SSID broadcasting?

Quote Originally Posted by leephil View Post
    I have two AC500 wireless controllers in an Active - Passive configuration. The CAP1750 access points are broadcasting the SSID. How can I turn off SSID broadcasting?
    Do you mean link back up for each other?
    Why do you want to turn off SSID? Or do you just want to hide the Wi-Fi signal?
    Make sure you switch the CAP1750 to FIT mode if you want the AC500 to manage it.

My present system works great with dual AC500 controllers and CAP1750 access points that are in FIT mode. I just do not want the access points broadcasting the SSID when people scan the system. My old engenius system had an option to turn off broadcast of the SSID.

Members R1D2 is on a distinguished road
    Disable "Broadcast Probe Response" in wireless settings.

Quote Originally Posted by R1D2 View Post
    Disable "Broadcast Probe Response" in wireless settings.
    On the AC500 the "Wireless" section has only one sub catagory "Wireless Service". In Wireless Service is a list of SSID's. When I go to edit an SSID the options are "Status", "SSID (name), "Description", "AP Isolation", and "Security". I do not see "Broadcast Probe Response" anywhere. I am using the latest firware for the AC500.

It's in the Radio Settings menu, not in the Wireless menu:

Name:  Untitled.png
Views: 0
Size:  97.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by R1D2 View Post
    It's in the Radio Settings menu, not in the Wireless menu:

Attachment 6572
    Thanks for the information! They are all now all set to "disable"

Quote Originally Posted by leephil View Post
    Thanks for the information! They are all now all set to "disable"
    My concern is that this way we can disable SSID bcasting per AP and not per WLAN. If you disable this option you switch off broadcasting ALL ssid-s propagated by the particular AP.

I want to disable random SSID-s (some of them disabled to be bcasted while other ssid-s still bcasted). I know disabling SSID to appear on the air is not a true technical protection at all but it prevents from unnecessary attempts of technically dummy unwanted users - which is the majority of SSID-'hikers'.

Is it possible to do that with an AS50 controlled system?

Quote Originally Posted by jpapp View Post
    I want to disable random SSID-s (some of them disabled to be bcasted while other ssid-s still bcasted).
    AFAIK this is not supported, since it is in Radio->Radio Settings, while per SSID-settings are in Radio->Wireless Settings. If you ask me, SSID broadcast settings should belong to the virtual interface (Wireless Settings), not the physical interface (Radio Settings).