Welcome to TP-LINK Tech Support Forum
+ Reply to Thread

Question question about band steering

Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP : [/COLOR]

My colleague at work tried reaching to out to TP-Link to no avail. He asks, does band steering on the EAP APs work without the controller running? Or does the controller need to run in order for this feature to work?

Members R1D2 is on a distinguished road
    Current situation is that you need to use the EAP controller to enable band steering on those EAPs which support it (EAP225/245/320/330). The TP-Link website claims in the comparison table of the EAP320 web page that EAP220 supports band-steering, too, but to my knowledge the EAP220 does not support it according to the specs on its own web page.

Since features like band steering are controlled by the software if the device supports it, changes are that future firmware versions will probably support it in the web UI, too. But for now you will need an EAP controller to use it. According to Tom's excellent article about EAP solutions, he writes:

If you want to know more about how Band Steering works and how to enable Band Steering on TP-Link EAP products, please see the EAP Controller User Guide (page 31).

Quote Originally Posted by bobbybc View Post
    My colleague at work tried reaching to out to TP-Link to no avail. He asks, does band steering on the EAP APs work without the controller running? Or does the controller need to run in order for this feature to work?
    Band steering needs the controller to run for this feature to work.

Appreciate the feedback. We tested an EAP245 yesterday in standalone mode but wish we could enable band steering in the web GUI in a future firmware.

bobbybc: now that there is an EAP Controller software package for Linux, you could run a cheap Linux server (even a VM) with the controller software, to enable band steering