Welcome to TP-LINK Tech Support Forum
+ Reply to Thread

Email Validation in EAP Controller

Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP : [/COLOR]

Hello,
    I have a weird issue in setting up the email server for email notification in the EAP controller:

Name:  Screen Shot 2017-10-11 at 17.05.16.png
Views: 0
Size:  42.9 KB
    My email is not recognised as valid in the "Sender Address", but it is in the user name.

Seems that the validation for the field is broken... .email is a valid TLD :-)

Is there a config file somewhere where I can manually enter the proper settings? (I'm running the controller on Linux)

Bonus Question:

I see "SSL" as an option, but my SMTP only uses STARTTLS, will it work?

Thanks!

Umberto

Members R1D2 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by umbertoghio View Post
    My email is not recognised as valid in the "Sender Address", but it is in the user name.
    Yes, it's a bug due to very restrictive validation.

On the other hand, hostname validation in EHLO SMTP requests is broken, too - here strict validation would make much more sense. Hopefully both bugs get fixed in next version.

Is there a config file somewhere where I can manually enter the proper settings? (I'm running the controller on Linux)
    Don't know, didn't investigate this since the sender's from address isn't actually meaningful at all and thus can be any role account such as noreply@nowhere.com or eapctrl@yourcompany.com (easier to change there).

Bonus Question:

I see "SSL" as an option, but my SMTP only uses STARTTLS, will it work?
    Of course, yes. TLS1.0 is actually SSL3.1 (SSL 3.0 served as the base for TLS1.0). Actually it is TLS, but often people still call it "SSL" meaning the technique, not the protocol.
    Last edited by R1D2; 10-13-2017 at 17:44.

Hi,
    thank you, I'll give it a try but if the email are sent with a FROM different than the account the smtp won't send it :-)

Members R1D2 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by umbertoghio View Post
    Hi,
    thank you, I'll give it a try but if the email are sent with a FROM different than the account the smtp won't send it :-)
    I see. I have no idea why TP-Link checks the TLD's "validity" - every TLD could be valid, even .lan or .mymailnetworkinmyhouse.