Welcome to TP-LINK Tech Support Forum
+ Reply to Thread

Alias name for client in EAP-Controller

Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP : [/COLOR]

Hi all,

i have a question about the EAP Controller (Version: 2.4.8).
    I want to save an alias name for a client. Is there any way I can do this in the EAP Controller?
    If the client has no hostname or is an android device, there isn't any difference between the clients, except the mac-address. So an alias name for a client would be wonderful.

Members R1D2 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by tstock View Post

If the client has no hostname or is an android device, there isn't any difference between the clients, except the mac-address. So an alias name for a client would be wonderful.
    No, the EAP controller doesn't support aliases for clients. The right place to set a client's hostname is either the client system itself or the DHCP server handing out IPs and (optionally) hostnames. As for the hostname there is no guarantee that a client requests it, but if it does it will get its name via DHCP.

Thank you for your reply. I understand the topic of hostnames. But for me it is a missing feature. With the feature it would be possible to manage clients better.So is there hope, that this feature will be implemented in newer versions?

Members R1D2 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by tstock View Post
    So is there hope, that this feature will be implemented in newer versions?
    Only TP-Link can answer (I am not representing TP-Link, I'm a user just like you). But IMHO this feature isn't needed, since a) the hostname is displayed already if set correctly and b) the Controller is a management tool for hundreds of EAPs for deployment of hotspot systems with thousands of users. It doesn't make much sense to assign names to devices of anonymous users. In a small setup with only a limited number of users it could make sense, but then just set the hostname of those devices to see them in the controller's clients statistics.