Welcome to TP-LINK Tech Support Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Members R1D2 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by superczar View Post
    All in all, it works fine ...
    Glad to hear that it works for you!

1) What is the right power setting for a 100-150 m Point to point link (with clear LOS) for the CPE 510 .. AT the moment we tested it at the max setting (23dbm) but wondering if I should lower it down to reduce the noise floor for the other links?
    23dBm TX power + 13dBi antenna gain is 36 dBm (3.98 watts) total radiation power. You could reduce TX power to lower interferences somewhat, especially to more distant neighbors sharing the same channel in the 5 GHz band (if any), but also if there are reflections disturbing the direct link. I usually reduce TX power step-by-step until I get best throughput on a given distance. Sometimes it can improve throughput, sometimes it lowers it, depending on the environment. Since rain, snow, humidity etc. can influence the quality of the link, giving some dBm more power than actually needed at time of measurement won't do any harm.

But also remember to use different channels for all other direct links, this will avoid interferences at all and will increase AirTime of each link.

2) I was looking at the TP- Link ER5120 for the central router. While it is not really expensive, I am not sure if it is the right choice, esp since we don't have any WAN load balancing requirement
    Also wondering if it may be worth looking at a prosumer wireless router like Netgear R7000 or Archer C7 given the relatively modest traffic - I can switch off the wireless radio to use it as a wired router or maybe even keep radio on to improve coverage in the community center area...
    Can't say anything about ER5120, maybe other forum users could be more helpful regarding this router. As for the Archer C7 it's a fine SOHO router for modest traffic IMHO, worth giving it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by R1D2 View Post
    Glad to hear that it works for you!

23dBm TX power + 13dBi antenna gain is 36 dBm (3.98 watts) total radiation power. You could reduce TX power to lower interferences somewhat, especially to more distant neighbors sharing the same channel in the 5 GHz band (if any), but also if there are reflections disturbing the direct link. I usually reduce TX power step-by-step until I get best throughput on a given distance. Sometimes it can improve throughput, sometimes it lowers it, depending on the environment. Since rain, snow, humidity etc. can influence the quality of the link, giving some dBm more power than actually needed at time of measurement won't do any harm.

But also remember to use different channels for all other direct links, this will avoid interferences at all and will increase AirTime of each link.

Can't say anything about ER5120, maybe other forum users could be more helpful regarding this router. As for the Archer C7 it's a fine SOHO router for modest traffic IMHO, worth giving it a try.
    All field tests done and have to say that I am pretty pleased with both the CPE and EAP device performance
    The deployment is being done over this weekend
    One quick Q though
    I am finding it hard to get STP CAT6 spools locally which leaves me with the option of ordering from Amazon and defer deployment to next weekend

vs

Using regular UTP CAT6 and running a separate Ground wire from the CPE/EAP to the mains ground

Would choosing the latter route be not a viable alternative?
    Keeping in mind that the cable runs will be short (20 M or less ), the device heights low ( 10-11M above ground) and the fact that we have quite a few tall residential towers in the vicinity

Edit: Never mind
    Just read the Pharos manual PDF on theTP-Link site which explicitly mentions both as viable options
    Last edited by superczar; 09-29-2017 at 19:19.

Both grounding methods are viable alternatives, yes.

If antenna poles are grounded already, easiest way is to use a grounding strap from the CPE to the pole.

If grounding antenna poles is costlier, the grounding wire in the Ethernet cable is easier.

Often CAT.5e FTP patch cables (but not CAT.5e STP or S/FTP patch cables) have such an additional grounding wire. CAT.6 patch cables and above are most often S/FTP not needing a grounding wire, but professional CAT.6 installation cable also has one. I prefer special outdoor cable because of another feature: it is UV-resistant and weatherproof, while standard STP/FTP cables are usually not suitable for outdoor use over long periods if exposed to direct sunlight and/or strong temperature changes.

But most consumer stores don't sell CAT.5e cables anymore and I even met an electrician at a customer's site, who (unsuccessfully) tried to deploy a CAT7 installation cable to the CPE and who wanted to tell me the tale, that CAT.5e cables "are not produced anymore" (that's wrong).

Great that your field tests have been completed successfully!
    Last edited by R1D2; 09-29-2017 at 20:03.

Both grounding methods are viable alternatives, yes.

If antenna poles are grounded already, easiest way is to use a grounding strap from the CPE to the pole.

If grounding antenna poles is costlier, the grounding wire in the Ethernet cable is easier.

Often CAT.5e FTP patch cables (but not CAT.5e STP or S/FTP patch cables) have such an additional grounding wire. CAT.6 patch cables and above are most often S/FTP not needing a grounding wire, but professional CAT.6 installation cable also has one. I prefer special outdoor cable because of another feature: it is UV-resistant and weatherproof, while standard STP/FTP cables are usually not suitable for outdoor use over long periods if exposed to direct sunlight and/or strong temperature changes.

But most consumer stores don't sell CAT.5e cables anymore and I even met an electrician at a customer's site, who (unsuccessfully) tried to deploy a CAT7 installation cable to the CPE and who wanted to tell me the tale, that CAT.5e cables "are not produced anymore" (that's wrong).

Great that your field tests have been completed successfully!
    Thought it would beworth updating that this is all completed now!
    Really impressed by the CPE510 although not so much by the EAP110
    The backhaul links with the former are super stable with excellent throughput

The EAP110 are doing the job although I had expected a bit better ..
    Nonetheless, the system as a whole works fine

Thanks R1D2 for all your help!

Quote Originally Posted by superczar View Post
    Thought it would beworth updating that this is all completed now!
    Really impressed by the CPE510 although not so much by the EAP110
    The backhaul links with the former are super stable with excellent throughput

The EAP110 are doing the job although I had expected a bit better ..
    Nonetheless, the system as a whole works fine

Thanks R1D2 for all your help!
    You're welcome. Yes, the CPEs are really good devices. Maybe the EAP110-Outdoor doesn't perform at best because of interferences wit other 2.4 GHz devices. What's with your Hikvision cams and the WMM incompatibility? Could you or TP-Link solve it?

You're welcome. Yes, the CPEs are really good devices. Maybe the EAP110-Outdoor doesn't perform at best because of interferences wit other 2.4 GHz devices. What's with your Hikvision cams and the WMM incompatibility? Could you or TP-Link solve it?
    No luck on the camera front.
    At the moment I have disabled WMM altogether on the EAP110 - The client link speeds are in the range of 25-54 mbps with WMM disable so it works for now