Welcome to TP-LINK Tech Support Forum
+ Reply to Thread

Unable to add Deco node when running as Access Point

Model :

Hardware Version :

Firmware Version :

ISP : [/COLOR]

Firmware: 1.1.5 Build 20170820 Rel. 62483 (but also experienced the issue at firmare 1.1.3).

I'm unable to add new nodes with the Deco app running as "Access point" mode. I'm able to find a new node, but Deco won't go pass the "Checking connection" step, which according to the app should take a couple of minutes but will actually never finish. As soon as I configure the Deco in "Routing" mode I'm able to pass the "Checking connection" step within 15 seconds and I'm able to add the Deco to the network.

A workaround is to configure the Deco M5 as "Routing" mode, add all deco nodes and then switch it to "Access point" mode.
    Last edited by vieldcs; 09-04-2017 at 07:37.

Yes, need to configure at least one of the deco units into router mode first, then switch to AP mode.

Will this issue be addressed in a future firmware update?

May I know how do you connect your Deco units when you encounter such issue? Will appreciate if you can provide a simple network map.
    Thanks.

There you go
    Attached Images  

Thanks for your feedback. Will correct it in a future update.

The configuration shown is what I am wanting to do as well, probably with a TP-Link 2800 modem/router to manage all my NAS media servers, cameras, printers etc.
    I did post in the forums, but the question I have is;
    Can you have a guest wifi network enabled if all the Deco units are working as APs? Will they detect if the main TP-Link router (2800 or similar) is working with a guest network?
    It is important that I have all the Deco units on the same network so that media devices are visible to all 'non-guest' users, as well as shared computer data, but that the APs also broadcast a guest network.
    Thank you.